WIT: Clone a Wii disc (give it a new ID)

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Wiimm, May 24, 2010.

May 24, 2010
  1. Wiimm
    OP

Member Wiimm Developer

Germany
    Hi all,

One of the next step for WIT is to implement a cloning command. The idea of cloning is to have more save slots. If you are a family with 6 persons a game with only three 3 saving slots is not enough. A solution is to create a clone with different IDs so that it use different save slots.

But before starting to implement anything I need a little discussion what to do.

Here is my knowledge:[*] The disc header contains the ID6 (off=0) and the disc titles (off=0x20).[*] boot.bin contains the ID6 (off=0) and the disc titles (off=0x20).[*] ticket.bin contains the ID4 (off=0x1e0, member named 'title_id'+4)[*] tmd.bin contains the ID4 (off=0x190, member named 'title_id'+4)Changing all 4 IDs works fine; I have tested it with Wii Scrubber months ago.
    Wii Scrubber also change title_key (off=0x1bf) in ticket.bin, Why?

You can enable online mode if you don't change (or reset) the ID of the disc header back to the original ID. If you use WBFS do it after adding it, but leave the ID in the WBFS inode (WBFS management area) unchanged (wit+wwt can do this). So it is possible to have all clones together in one WBFS.

It is clear to calculate the hashes and to trucha sign after changing partition data.

2. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    Integrating save related features into an usb loader should be a better approach I think. And for this specific task it's just a matter of transferring the saves back and forth between the sd/usb and nand...

3. jakejm79

Member jakejm79 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Yes maybe something where you log on has a specific user to the USB loader, it then transfers all the saves from usb:/users/John/saves/ to nand prior to loading any games. and then on exit of the USB load it transfers them from nand back to USB. Either that or with nand emulation there is a config file that sets the specific folder for the nand depending on who is logged in, i.e. usb:/users/John/nand files/

4. Wiimm
    OP

Member Wiimm Developer

Germany
    I have made a little test:
    Changing the ID in boot.bin + ticket.bin + tmd.bin is enough but changing all three is perhaps not needed.

5. Remfin

Newcomer Remfin Advanced Member

United States
  6. Slimmmmmm

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    Dack made an apps called iirc partition bin editor, it does just that and allows you to have an identical game save to a new slot.

There is also a tool for custom Guitar Hero games called Ghost that does this.

The "best" thing I've sene around is Hermes uLoader and his newest cIOS, with that you can have 4 diff save per each game (nand1, nand2, nand3 and nand4) and save and read them from a USB HDD, so it uses NOTHING on your real nand and allows for upto four unique saves.

btw all these ideas had been discussed around 1-2 years ago before nand emulation began (find my solution to save blah blah topic hidden in the depths of these forums) the copy saves back and forward waas rejected by every dev that read it and some thought of nand emulation.

Also you can write a homebrew app yourself if you are using SNEEK/UNEEK that copys/ moves files etc on launch.

So there are already quite a few options and this is not by any means a new idea, just hard to dig up info on if you don't already know about it.

7. x66x66

Member x66x66 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't understand how to enable online mode. I used "wit copy" and the new image works perfectly. I'm jut not sure about online. I don't feel comfortable testing it without having done the enable online thing.

More info: I used the wit copy and changed RUUE01 to KUUE01 and like I said, everything runs fine but I haven't tested online mode yet. Do I still need the "wwt rename" code thats on the website?

8. Wiimm
    OP

Member Wiimm Developer

Germany
    A year ago changing the disc ID (but not tmd, ticket and boot and also not ID on wbfs header) back to the original was needed to play online. maybe this has changed. And this can be done in 2 ways:
    Code:
    # first is the old rename command:
    wwt rename --auto KLONE_ID6=ORIG_ID6 --iso
    # option --iso means: change only disc header of iso and not wbfs header

# second is the newer wit edit command
    wit edit image --id=ORIG_ID6 --modify=disc
    # the --modify option decides the objects to change.
    BTW: I know that Nintendo has something changed in this. Now it's necessary to create the savegame before changing back (testetd with animal crossing). And yes, I have to rewrite this guide a little bit.