Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Im on WINDOWS XP PRO with SP2

i have a internal Wireless Ethernet Card

i installed it and installed the newest drivers and i can see my sisters Wireless network

it asks me for her WEP or WAP key so i put it in

1 minute later it says cannot connect to network windows will keep trying to connect blah blah

so i cant connect this is my second card i used a USB one returned that one and got htis one

PLEASE HELP ME ! im on 56 k ! lol

CannonBallZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is your sister's wireless network her network card or does she have an access point ?

in the first place chekity check for any mac filters in place

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wireless networking does not suck. Not understanding wireless networking sucks. As the man said, check the router configurations. Are you sure you inputing the right key? This is different from the password for the router.

phoood

taking it to a whole new level.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I do when this happens (and it happens a lot when I'm messing around with the network) is click "Change the order of preferred networks" in the Wireless Network Connection window (also known as the "View Available Wireless Networks" window)
Here I just remove the network and try again until it works. You can get to this window in different ways, but this is the easiest.

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
have you set ips manualy on the network or using DHCP?
Acrocosm is on to something, here...

When I first started getting into wireless networking (about 4 years ago) I used to get pissed as hell at my router. My compy and router would both say that I'm getting a perfect wireless signal but I could not connect to the Internet. What I had to do was go into my router settings via url entry (192.168.1.1 is default) and change around the IP numbers. Take a look:

routerhelpaa5.png

Alrighty, this is your basic Network Setup Settings screen. Keep in mind that I have a Linksys WRT54G, so I have no idea where this would be found under your router's settings.

After you type in 192.168.1.1 into your browser's Address Bar, you may be prompted for a user name and password. The default is usually: User Name: (Leave It Blank), Password: admin. After putting this in, your router's settings should come up. Look around until you reach a menu that resembles something like the one above.

Your Local IP Address is the IP Address of your wireless router. This is the Address that your Compy/Wireless Card will use to send a signal to and from the wireless router. Most people leave it at the default (192.168.1.1, remember you used it earlier to access the router settings?) but as you can tell from the screen above, you can change the address if you wish.

Your Starting IP Address is the IP Address your internet service will start up with. As far as I understand, this CANNOT be the same as your Local IP Address. This is what caused me many problems and left me in the same situation that you are in, many times. I usually just changed the last number in the Starting IP Address to one number higher than the Local IP Address (in my case, the new number is 2). Remember to have the DCHP Server ENABLED

In my case, I connect via PPPOE (User Name and Password given by your ISP), so if your ISP provides with this information, you maybe want to double check to see if you entered it correctly under the router settings.

Now you can just save the changes and give it another go. Not sure if this'll solve your problem, but it's worth a try.
wink.gif

[If anything, connect your compy to the router directly, via an ethernet cord (hardwired) and change around the settings if you can't get in wirelessly.]

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Either that or their old games were unfinished aswell but we can't notice it