Wireless internet turns itself off...

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I use an HP laptop for browsing and I always leave my computer on to download torrents. Out of habit from my old laptop, I always close the laptop lid because I don't like the idea of leaving it open. But in doing so, it turns off the wireless internet and so it's pretty much useless for downloading and leaving overnight. I was googling and I saw one of the answer was:

network connections: uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

But I don't see that option in my network connection.

My question is, can it be possibleto disable this? I have Vista as the OS in case you're wondering.

butaro

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
does your computer turn off when you close the lid, or hibernate?? i don't know why wireless would turn off unless the computer itself is turning off

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like Standby to me. Go into Windows power options and make sure "When I close my lid" is set to "Do nothing" (Control Panel -> Power Options -> Advanced tab in Windows XP).

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In Vista > Network > In the search box type device manager > View hardware and devices > Network adapters >Right-click yours, properties > Power management tab

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Having to bump this again because I thought this problem fixed itself when I tried Linkiboy's suggestion (there were several adapters but only one had the power management thing). It kinda worked when I closed the lid for a few minutes and then opened it again but when I left it running for a few hours with my torrent running, went to work and came back, I noticed it never moved at all... and then I saw an "not connected to any network thing at the bottom"

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
Have you checked the bios settings?

Some of the laptops I've worked with have bios options to have the wireless turn off/on under certain conditions.

Also, are you letting Windows manage your wireless settings? Or do you have some sort program that does it? (like if you buy a Netgear card, it usually comes with Netgear software)

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well, the wireless internet is built into the laptop. Tried upgrading the drivers for the wireless internet adapter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: the internet