Hardware Wireless headphones / earbuds with no latency for switch

Wiiunator

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I can’t find much info on GBATEMP about this, so I thought I would post my experience with my setup which works perfectly with no noticeable latency on my switch

After a fair bit of research
I’ve got the homespot Bluetooth adapter for Nintendo switch paired with the Sennheiser momentum true wireless and this combo works perfectly with absolutely no latency... none that I can notice at least since you will always have some latency...

the Sennheisers are really expensive ($200) and battery life is 4h but there are the only true wireless earbuds that have the aptx low latency codec that I’m aware of which is an absolute must to eliminate lag, they also happen to sound amazing.

when searching for wireless headphone, be aware that the Aptx codec alone is not going to be enough, you must have the low latency version of the codec in both headphones and receiver (aptx and aptx LL are 2 different things).

Your AirPods and all other earbuds will work but your latency will vary greatly and most likely will be greater than 100ms and in some case close to 0.5s which make it completely useless for gaming.

the thing is, very few headphones have the Aptx LL codec and even though the aptx LL specs states that latency should be sub 40ms, not all headphones with aptx LL codec have that exact latency figure... matter of fact they are all different and none of them publish their latency specs. Worth mentioning that the latency mentioned here (40ms) is on top of latency induced by the device you are paired to. Android and iDevices can add another 100 to 200ms delay on top due to internal processing.

The homespot adapter and the switch audio stack seems to add very little extra delay to the audio chain from what I can hear...

I know the Sennheiser true wireless have been tested with inherent latency of 72ms with aptx LL codec which i was a bit worried I would notice... but in practice that is not the case and the experience is seamless and comparable to wired headphone

The only other wireless earbuds that seems like a good fit and cheaper ($50) is the avantree Clari air:
https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Blu...ptx+low+latency+earbuds&qid=1577745734&sr=8-4

anyway I hope this helps!

some references:

Aptx website with list of official aptx LL supported devices:
https://www.aptx.com/aptx-low-latency

sennheiser momentum true wireless:
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-True-Wireless-Bluetooth-Fingertip/dp/B07J2WF2JW

homespot Bluetooth adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Adapter-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B07SQ9SW94

List of Headphones with latency specs:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tests/connectivity/bluetooth

Last edited by Wiiunator,
Reactions: hippy dave

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Good info, thanks. I bought a cheap adapter and cheap earphones (no-name from aliexpress) that both claimed to be LL, but they have hella latency, will look for something better when I have the spare cash.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1