Gaming Wireless adapter...£60? blah.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No fucking way am i paying £60 for a Wireless Adapter to get my 360 online.

Is there any other cheap options?

I know about Ethernet but my wireless router is a little far away from my 360.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If i remember correctly, at one time i saw a page somewhere about how to use a wireless router as a wireless card connected via ethernet to the 360, but alas, i had checked again a couple of times later after i purchased my system, and i can't find it.

if anyone knows a link, it could be VERY helpful for a lot of people
smile.gif

accolon

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What you're looking for is a wireless bridge, e.g. this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WET11-Wirele...e/dp/B000066JQU

You simply connect the bridge device to the ethernet port of your Xbox, then you can join wireless networks.

Personally, I'm using an old Linksys wireless router with OpenWRT installed to connect my living room devices to the DSL router upstairs. OpenWRT has bridging capabilities.

A Fon Fonera might also be interesting, because it's very cheap and supported by OpenWRT as well. Of course you can also buy a wireless bridge instead of building it yourself, but where's the fun in that?
wink.gif

Dack

Trophies
XP
Country
You need either a:
1. wireless bridge
2. Router with wireless bridge capabilities
3. A gaming adaptor

You can get one of the cheap routers (about £15-20) that can be flashed to ddwrt that will work.

Failing that have an ebay search for "wireless gaming adaptor".

I managed to get a couple of Belkin ones when Staples were having a clearout of them back in January. Cost about £15 each IIRC.

Gumble

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I used to use my laptop as a bridge.. so that worked well for me actually, other than having bring my laptop to where I wanted to play.

I got it to work with both XP and Vista if you want help.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I use a router from the Linksys WRT54G line (WRT54GL in my case) with DD-WRT flashed onto it and configured as a wireless ethernet bridge when I want to do wireless with the 360 or any NIC equiped device for that matter. Cheap, performs far better, and plenty more uses. Plus a fun little project to toy with.

chuckstudios

Putting the pro in procrastination
Trophies
Website
www.schlarp.com
XP
Country
United States
-x1_0_nt- said:
So a wireless bridge is the way to go?

what is DD-WRT?

Yes, a wireless bridge is definitely the way to go, I'd recommend a hacked La Fonera due to its small size - it's practically perfect for wireless bridges. DD-WRT is an open source Linux-based firmware for routers. It has a huge amount of options which can be used to make a router do just about anything you can imagine a router doing. I'm actually running a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT as the wireless bridge for this computer, and my real router is a DD-WRT'd WRT54GL which has dual access points with security between them (WPA for computers, WEP for DS) and an XLink Kai daemon for my Xbox to play games online.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
chuckstudios said:
-x1_0_nt- said:
So a wireless bridge is the way to go?

what is DD-WRT?

Yes, a wireless bridge is definitely the way to go, I'd recommend a hacked La Fonera due to its small size - it's practically perfect for wireless bridges. DD-WRT is an open source Linux-based firmware for routers. It has a huge amount of options which can be used to make a router do just about anything you can imagine a router doing. I'm actually running a Linksys WRT54G with DD-WRT as the wireless bridge for this computer, and my real router is a DD-WRT'd WRT54GL which has dual access points with security between them (WPA for computers, WEP for DS) and an XLink Kai daemon for my Xbox to play games online.

That La Fonera looks great. I might end up buying that just because it is so cheap.

But i don't know how to flash it with DD-WRT, do i really need to?

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
-x1_0_nt- said:

lol get a ps3 then, it's built in and FREE
happy.gif

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jalaneme said:
-x1_0_nt- said:

lol get a ps3 then, it's built in and FREE
happy.gif

Get lost fanboy. Nobody needs to here.

I'm not spending £300+ for a paper weight.

matriculated

Trophies
Website
www.nubecoder.com
XP
Country
Canada
I realize you're in the UK but Dell has this pocket router that has a wireless bridge mode ($40):
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584738
The nice thing about it is that it can be powered by the 360's usb port and it's tiny.

Had I had known this I wouldn't have modded my Linksys router WRT (also $40) with dd-wrt to turn it into a bridge.

Prime

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
matriculated said:
I realize you're in the UK but Dell has this pocket router that has a wireless bridge mode ($40):
http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=584738
The nice thing about it is that it can be powered by the 360's usb port and it's tiny.

Had I had known this I wouldn't have modded my Linksys router WRT (also $40) with dd-wrt to turn it into a bridge.

Thats £5 dearer than the LA Fondera.

I don't think dell.com ships to Europe.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I wanted to hack a router to keep from paying Microsoft $90 for that wireless adapter but I didn't know where to begin lol. So I just grabbed a set of powerline ethernet adapters off ebay for $35 and have been gaming ever since. Take that Microshit!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu