ROM Hack [WIP] Yo-kai Sangokushi English Fan Translation

NebulousNeon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: We have a new application for those who are interested in helping translate the game!
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSekzP8rq0eWGtXGYjLTF36uEfhloCG5rssDhJqAVSgbMhC3QA/viewform

If you're interested, please apply! We're mainly looking for translators right now!
Our team is really small and translating an RPG with only 4-5 translators is quite daunting! We could use all the help we can get!
----------------------------------------
Hello everyone!

Apologies if this isn't set up in the best way (It's the first time I'm doing something like this).

Basic Information
We are beginning work on an English Fan Translation of the Level-5/Koei Tecmo game Yo-kai Sangokushi for the Nintendo 3DS!
We have been preparing for this for a few months and we have finally gotten to a point where we can begin some areas of translation!

As a little preview, here's a short .gif of the title screen!
sangokushititle.gif

Progress (ROUGH ESTIMATES, PERCENTAGES GIVEN WHEN AVAILABLE)
TEXT:
Main Story - 12.5% completed
Prologue - 100% complete
Chapter 1 - Assigned to translator, in progress.
Chapter 2 - Assigned to translator, 0% complete.
Chapter 3 - No translator assigned, 0% complete.
Chapter 4 - Assigned to translator, in progress.
Chapter 5 - No translator assigned, 0% complete.
Chapter 6 - No translator assigned, 0% complete.
Post game - No translator assigned, 0% complete.
Side Quests - 0.012% translated (1/77)

System text (menus, medallium entries, help entries, etc.) - in progress, unknown percentage.

System UI (menu, battle UI, map stuff) - good chuck of it is done, some still needs work.
Map Scenery (locale pictures) - Barely done, still needs work.
Map textures - Not touched, working on way to access.
Medal textures - Not touched, working on way to access.​

Want to join us?
Please fill out this short application so we know who you are and what you want to do:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSekzP8rq0eWGtXGYjLTF36uEfhloCG5rssDhJqAVSgbMhC3QA/viewform

Our team is quite small right now, so we appreciate any and all help! Please apply if you're interested!

Check out our little web portal for more information and updates: projectgeragera.carrd.co

Special Thanks to @IcySon55 and the Kuriimu Dev Team at Fan Translators International for supporting Sangokushi files in Kuriimu

Last edited by NebulousNeon,

NebulousNeon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going into more detail about the font problems.

When we first tested text editing (picture below), we found out that Sangokushi doesn't support Variable Width Font. This spaces the text out awkwardly, which we don't like. gic

We've concluded that this will require a modification to the code.bin (written in Assembly), which controls the game logic and game engine.
But we're not exactly sure how to approach fixing this? We have ways of looking into and editing the code.bin but we're stuck as to where in the code.bin the code is that controls the font.

If anyone has any insight into how to go about doing this or where we should look, please let us know!

unknown.png

Download link to code.bin for reference

Lord Prime

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
We now have a temporary fix for the width issue.

Good News: The amount of text that we can put in per line is now doubled

Bad News: It compresses the font to 8x16 pixel (also comes in 8x12, 8x14), instead of the regular 16x16. The default font image will need to be re-worked on to increase readability with this fix.

We'll see if we can improve upon it in the feature.

Update as of Jan 18, made a workaround for the restrictive font:
unknown.png

Disclaimer: This is not the final font version.

Next stuff to do on the technical side is to fix the speech-bubble size issue (where it allocates more space than needed,
since the game has auto-resizing speech bubbles) and the font-centering issue on some parts.

Note: Both issues can probably be solved with one patch (cross-fingers)

Last edited by Lord Prime,
Reactions: A_NICKNAME

NebulousNeon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: The patch is working on real hardware now.
We had some troubles with in-game cutscenes, which caused the game to crash whenever one played, but we
fixed it. In some shallow play testing on real hardware, I've yet to run into any other problems

Picture:
51103706_347545699416470_163057492794802176_n.jpg
We're still working on translations. They're sorta rough right now because we're still trying to form a team, but we're getting there!
Hope you guys are excited for this!

NebulousNeon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is the game complete translated and changed BUSTERS to BLASTERS?
Translation is currently in its early stages, only have the prologue translated and a full chapter nearly translated. Given the size of our team at the moment and the time we have to work on the project, I would not expect this to be finished for at least a year.

As for the Busters/Blasters thing, it's never really referenced in game outside of the linking mechanic on the title screen, where we have referred to it as Busters because linking will only work with the Japanese versions of the other games and not international versions.

Also, as a little note for those who may be interested in helping us translate, I've closed the Google Form for applying. Send us a DM on our Twitter (@ProjectGeraGera) or DM me here if you're interested in helping us out!

NebulousNeon

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

AamitMorthos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've completely forgot about this game and am more surprised that there's a fan translation of it! Definitely can't wait to try this out.

itsperkele

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have zero translating skill, but i've been keeping an eye on this for a little over a year now. excited for any releases you may have in the future and hope all is going well!

JeepX87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would be nice if what was completed would be released. Could have the prologue as a demo of sorts.
If it is completed, this thread would be updated by now but based on last edit 2 years ago, it is deem to be abandoned.

I looked around and no, translation hasn't completed with no update after 2 years.

Winduss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If it is completed, this thread would be updated by now but based on last edit 2 years ago, it is deem to be abandoned.

I looked around and no, translation hasn't completed with no update after 2 years.
Seems like he started another thread later on. However, he has not been active in over a year so I suspect it sadly hasn't had much development beyond this thread.

Kirbtastic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I know it's not complete and probably never will be, that's why I'm saying they should at least release the work they did for the prologue chapter.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Check cpuid make sure ram sockets are detected
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    (and i'm fibered, 5gb shared downloads, 1gb upload)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even in bios
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    its mostly when starting firefox that it's noticible slower. Opening and loading the homepage. Tried fresh installs and all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Knowing your system specs would help
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    if you're in win 11, have you checked which graphical processor Firefox was using ?
    after it's open, its a bit slower too at loading pages, but not as noticeable as the initial startup and homepage loading
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    can make a little difference
    You mean as in hardware acceleration on or off?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Went to make cup noodles, spilled boiling water on me then the kettle decided to pop
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why I saw a kettle with wifi
    Will try that now
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    females don't exist
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Tamales exist.
    +1
    Setting FF to max performance on my gpu made it slower. lol. Tried it on Edge too just to see, and it made Edge slower too. lol
    Thanks for trying. :)
    ill just use edge and watch nintendo videos on firefox. lolol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The everything beagle cup noodles are actually pretty decent
    dog noodles. mmmmmm.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    monkey brains
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: monkey brains