[WIP] [Translation] Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime 3DS

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by ultramario1998, Oct 23, 2016.

1. ultramario1998
    OP

ultramario1998 no woof tipsic

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here

[​IMG]

We are working on a Japanese to English translation for Slime Mori Mori Dragon Quest 3: Daikaizoku to Shippo Dan., an action-splategy Dragon Quest game.

Current Team

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Images

FAQ

Current status

We are currently able to redirect pointers to null space, which allows for rudimentary text injection. However, there's not enough null space for a full translation, which means we will need to overwrite the Japanese text. This has changed!! Thanks SO much to @Neobeo for helping us start redirecting major chunks of the text to romfs, getting rid of length restrictions entirely!

Currently, we're in the process of translating the text and beginning localization.

Current Progress

Major Update Log

11/3/2016
    12/2/2016
    1/16/2017
    3/13/2017

Last edited by lgnmcrules, Mar 25, 2017 - Reason: Updated
    teachable, TyBlood13, SLiV3R and 22 others like this.

2. lgnmcrules

lgnmcrules GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    United States
    Last edited by lgnmcrules, Jan 17, 2017
  3. Xandrid

Xandrid GBAtemp Fan

Mar 27, 2016
    Nigeria
    Another Dragon Quest fan translation, I'm really liking this, I hope everything goes well, I'll be backing you guys up :)

lordelan likes this.
  4. Musgora

Musgora Member

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    I wish you the best of luck in this project! :) If Terry managed to get finished, this sure can as well!

Xandrid likes this.
  5. lgnmcrules

lgnmcrules GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2016
    United States
    Updated main post.

6. CakeLancelot

CakeLancelot Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    We've made a breakthrough in changing the game's dialogue thanks to @IcySon55 and @dark_samus3 ! We can now make the text any length we wish!

[​IMG]

So yes, stay tuned indeed - as this project's just getting started.

Last edited by CakeLancelot, Nov 3, 2016
  7. sanderdsz

sanderdsz Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 9, 2006
    Brazil
    One of the best games I ever played on my nintendo DS...
    Such a fun game!

8. Exaltys

Exaltys GBAtemp Fan

Nov 10, 2009
    United States
    I loved the DS entry that was localized and I will look forward to the completion of this translation. I'm very happy for all of the people who devote their personal time to bringing games to a more players if all languages!

9. ImCarlosGG

ImCarlosGG GBAtemp Fan

Sep 21, 2015
    Spain
    Virtual World
    Seems like you finally decided to do it. Good luck guys! :D

10. ultramario1998
    OP

ultramario1998 no woof tipsic

May 7, 2014
    United States
    Not Here
    Due to the fact that we're finally able to extract text, we're looking for Japanese to English translators! If you're interested and capable, please PM me.

ImCarlosGG, qwertoman and windman410 like this.
  11. qwertoman

qwertoman Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Just saw this, so glad its now 'officially' being worked on!
    The DS game was fantastic and I am super excited to try this out.

If you guys finish this I will love you forever :yay3ds:

12. CakeLancelot

CakeLancelot Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2016
    United States
    Hey everyone, we've got a progress update for you-

So it's been a while since I've posted last, but since then we've discovered issues with our text dumper. Text was cut off, the order of dialogue was scrambled around - in general it wasn't working 100% as it should. So team member @IcySon55 has taken up the task of writing an editor/dumper/injector combo that can potentially used for different games through plugins. Quite the task, but I'm happy to report he's making steady progress! It's pretty much feature complete now, so we just need to tweak it in order to catch all the text and dump it to a file.

As for injecting text into the game - things haven't changed much. This process seems to work very well, but without a dumped file for reference we're dead in the water. Hence why I mentioned the dumper above, it's the main thing being worked on now.

The translating itself? It's coming along but we need some assistance. Not many of the team members speak Japanese and have translated thus far by cross-referencing earlier dragon quest games (monsters, items, etc.). Here's a guesstimate (check marks mean pretty much done, cross means not much done):
    • Items (Names ✓/ Descriptions ×)
    • Monsters (Names ✓ / Descriptions × / Strategies ×)
    • Dialogue (Story × / Menus ×)
    • Images (In progress...)
    So if you are interested in translating, please join our discord (https://discord.gg/DsfhwGy) and let us know! Alternatively you can shoot a team member a PM here on temp. Any other questions reply here on this thread or on the discord. Thanks!

justln, lgnmcrules and ImCarlosGG like this.
  13. javitox5000

javitox5000 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2013
    Guys I loved the nds game, you are making my dream come true!

This would be the best christmas present ever!

14. MeuNos

MeuNos Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    I created an account back in october just to thank you for working on it. Currently doing a graphics course and once I'm done with all of that planning to do a coding course and get my way around that. At this current point in time, I've done little to none when it comes to coding and currently have a lack of knowledge. I know quite a decent amount of languages though and if there is anyway I could help with the translating etc. I'd be happy to. I'll check back on this thread in a few days time. Good luck!

I don't know if I'll be able to be much help and I don't exactly wish to barge in on your discord ;)

Last edited by MeuNos, Dec 11, 2016
    lgnmcrules likes this.
  15. soulphraser

soulphraser Member

Newcomer
    Jun 22, 2016
    United States
    My Dream come true good luck (if you guys need any image edit i can help)

16. IcySon55

IcySon55 GBAtemp Fan

Mar 18, 2008
    Canada
    Hey there guys,

Just reporting in with an update. I've been hard at work on Kuriimu which is the tool I've written to support this translation project (and any others that wish to use it) and I've finally squashed all of the error causing bugs!

That being said, here is the result of some simple translation work I did for the save prompt:

[​IMG]

It's still not 100% known if the string dump is perfect, but we're working on it.

Last edited by IcySon55, Dec 15, 2016
  17. javitox5000

javitox5000 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 9, 2013
    Amazing! Keep going guys you are doing a really good job!

18. Rush

Rush Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    Can you share a picture of the title when it's translated?

19. jpop98

jpop98 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 25, 2016
    United States
    I would love to help with the translation. Please let me know if you would like help!

20. Sizednochi

Sizednochi GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 16, 2012
    Brazil
    This is amazing. I've wanted to play this game so badly! Thanks for your hard work!