OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yo,

as Neoflash decided to start off another compo I came up with the Idea to port SyobonAction (Just google it for the original PC game) to the DS~

It's harder than I thought, and especially the graphics look way worse than I expected. But due to using the (highly inefficient) original core-engine (It's impossible to completly rewrite it, the original author used about a hundret variable names like x, xx, xs, sta,stb,stc,t, tt, t1, t2, t3, t4,zxon, zzxon,key, keytm, sx, sco, mainmsgtype, ma, mb, mnobia, mnobib, mhp, mc, md, ... with just a very spare count of comments - which Im unable to read because they're in japanese ;) ) there isn't much room for improvement.

But I wanted to share the first PoC of the project to maybe get some opinions~ To get of the start-screen ("Enter [randomstuff]"), press start

It works on emulators and the DS. If You want to run it on your flashcard, the "res" folder has to be placed on your cards root. Only the first 2.5 stages work. After the yellow-plattforms going down & up there is no way to continue yet.

Download: http://www21.zippysh...75697/file.html

lola2khi.jpg

Yes, it really looks that shitty at the moment :O

Goveynetcom

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My first response was going to be, wow that looks like shit. But you already said it so :P .
It's a cool project, I've always thought Syobon Action was pretty awesome even if it's just rage inducing.
You might want to try to contact people who've made English Translations for the windows version or the person who ported it to wii. They'd probably have some great insights to it. Also, why not host it on filetrip or something? I thought that's where most people host their homebrew now.

leinad

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
@[member='hoster']: I was too lazy to create an account just for an under 1MB file~ And I think zippyfile is just the same if it comes to ease, just a bit ad-bloated

@The other ports: There are about 4~5 (or even some more) Ports I looked into everyone I could find (as most of them were kind enough to release the source, ofcourse I will also do so once I decide its finished). But noone ever dared to do any change, optimize or just organize the game-engine (Just the translations changed the Text-Parts, but nothing more). It is just a 6000 lines main-file everyone used as some kind of "black-box" - Magic happens, they just provide the drawing-functions the game wants (which sadly are set to 480x420 pixels, which are hard to translate to the DS' 256x192, thus the weird look).

@News: I want to get the project rdy for the neoflash compo, but I dont want it too lokk this horrible~ So Im uncertain if I can make the sound-engine in time, but here is the priority list from high to low:
- Get the rest of the drawing-functionset working (Circles/Ellipses, Pixel-Particles, BoxOutlines)
- Get all levels working
- Create DS-Optimized sprites
- Translate Texts to the extend they dont look like "? ! ? " anyomore ^^
- Sound-Engine
- Write a proper Text-Engine to replace the console-output (Really low priority, not sure if I get that far without reaching the DS' limits ^^)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i think im a bad person