• Replies 149
  • Likes 46

Stefano_Lassandro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
You think using a legit copy from steam store onto a 3ds is any different of pirating than anything else out there?
If I pay for it, I think so... I hope my reasoning makes sense
Edit: better don't get off tracks, this thread should deal with topics related to the port, and not with questions of legitimacy in piracy and the like. Still, I'll think about it.

Last edited by Stefano_Lassandro,
Reactions: Mizuguti

protivakid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just built CIA versions of re3 (and its variations) and miami. Check it out HERE!

Thanks to @MrHuu for the CIA resources and help compiling it!

UPDATE: re3-stereo.cia, re3-stereo-txd.cia and miami.cia have been added

For us NEWBS, do we just copy all of the CIA &/or 3dsx files to the same folder? Do we need to install every CIA or simply re3.cia? Also what is the difference between re3-stereo.cia & re3-stereo-txt.cia ?

Intro

Install:

Prerequisites:
you will need to be able to read instructions.
you will need the PC version of GTA III. (other versions might work).

Procedure:
Texture conversion:
You need to use txdcnv to convert the game files to native formats.
Create a directory for the output files.
I have only built txdcnv for Linux x86-64, sorry about that, you will have to use re3-txd.3dsx or compile from source.

./txdcnv [gta3 root] [output root].

The [output root] will now look like:
.:
models txd

./models:
fonts.txd generic.txd gta3.img menu.txd particle.txd
frontend.txd gta3.DIR hud.txd MISC.TXD

./txd:
LOADSC0.TXD LOADSC15.TXD LOADSC20.TXD LOADSC2.TXD LOADSC8.TXD SPLASH2.TXD
LOADSC10.TXD LOADSC16.TXD LOADSC21.TXD LOADSC3.TXD LOADSC9.TXD SPLASH3.TXD
LOADSC11.TXD LOADSC17.TXD LOADSC22.TXD LOADSC4.TXD mainsc1.txd
LOADSC12.TXD LOADSC18.TXD LOADSC23.TXD LOADSC5.TXD mainsc2.txd
LOADSC13.TXD LOADSC19.TXD LOADSC24.TXD LOADSC6.TXD NEWS.TXD
LOADSC14.TXD LOADSC1.TXD LOADSC25.TXD LOADSC7.TXD SPLASH1.TXD

Mipmaps are actually 100% necessary.
They drastically improve performance and memory management.
Older versions did this on the 3ds but it took too long.

DOWNLOAD
3DSX: https://mega.nz/file/bd0gyAJZ#3z92A6nL9ZFrjsBfIC7KRmLgL7F0_eKv50SqPNVmfAg
SOURCE: https://mega.nz/file/bF1UUSoL#S6Eby9ooGC4R6RHCD8zubykULZARnPl0rTyCplrbH-c

What's a bit odd to me is that to my knowledge GTA3 PC only works on Windows yet the procedure tells you how to convert files via Linux. I own the actual 2002 PC Disc version but when browsing the discs all the files are compressed so the only way to do this is to install the game onto a preferably older PC like an old XP box, then copy the files to a Linux Box, then convert the textures, then copy to a 3DS SD card. Am I missing something obvious or this this the method to use aside of converting them directly on the 3DS?

Yes. Run re3-txd and you should be good
Pro tip 1: When you do run this for me anyways I had to install the re3-txt.cia as in homebrew launcher with all of the *.3dsx files in the same directory, HL would only boot the game, never converting the textures. There was no way I found to select re3-txt.3dsx specifically.
Pro tip 2: When you do launch re3-txt.cia it will look exactly like the normal game cia, you have to start the game to kick off the conversion.

Last edited by protivakid,

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
Would using the files dumped from ps2 work?

I'd assume using lower quality textures and such may provide better overall performabe, e

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Amazing does this mean gta SA is possible?

With a new3ds it should be, you should be able to run all the renderware titles from GTA 3 to GTA SA

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

Thescrewremover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For us NEWBS, do we just copy all of the CIA &/or 3dsx files to the same folder? Do we need to install every CIA or simply re3.cia? Also what is the difference between re3-stereo.cia & re3-stereo-txt.cia ?

Stereo means it has 3d

I'd assume using lower quality textures and such may provide better overall performance
that won't work

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
surprised nobody has done a vice city stories port, if you can run GTA SA you can run vcs

I'd assume using lower quality textures and such may provide better overall performabe, e

With a new3ds it should be, you should be able to run all the renderware titles from GTA 3 to GTA SA

Stereo means it has 3d

that won't work

Has all the same files, However it does use different color encoding and layout for the textures and such, slightly structured different too

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,

Thescrewremover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For us NEWBS, do we just copy all of the CIA &/or 3dsx files to the same folder? Do we need to install every CIA or simply re3.cia?.

simply use re3-txt.cia
Am I missing something obvious or this this the method to use aside of converting them directly on the 3DS?.
yes but it sucks, the pc tool for converting generates wrong mipmaps introducing all sorts of graphic problems like flickering cars or blurry textures among others, converting them directly on the 3ds doesn't have these issues

Reactions: protivakid

RandomMan25XX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least we get to know if this can safely be up-streamed or not.
While not specifically mentioned, the 3ds port will suffer the same fate.
You guys do know that Take Two has no legs to stand on right?, The most likely outcome will hopefully be the project remaining untouched and Take Two being made into an example of what not to do when fan projects don't affect your bottom dollar and being overly litigious is not the way to go

ack

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You guys do know that Take Two has no legs to stand on right?, The most likely outcome will hopefully be the project remaining untouched and Take Two being made into an example of what not to do when fan projects don't affect your bottom dollar and being overly litigious is not the way to go
even if that were true, and if this turned out to be one of the 1% of cases that doesnt end in a out of court settlement, take 2 has way better lawyers than these guys, and when they win, it'll probably be a landmark case.

Reactions: Wavy

Thescrewremover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

While they may have "no legs to stand on" Take-Two does have good lawyers, saying the most likely outcome will be the re3 team winning is very idealistic

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended