ROM Hack [WIP] Puyo Puyo Tetris - English Translation for 3DS

ongo_gablogian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
vXpR5qO.png
Hello everyone! Recently I've been working on a translation patch for Puyo Puyo Tetris. My original goal was to translate some of the basic menu text and graphic and using a few resources online, I've managed to translate a decent amount of the game. Enough is done where I think a somewhat full translation could be possible, unfortunately I've gotten to the point where I don't think I'll be able to proceed much further without outside help.

Right now I mainly need some help with translating various graphics as I don't know Japanese. So if anyone want's to lend a hand with the project, please let me know.

Some top priorities as of now:
  • Figuring out the COMP file problems. Some graphical text remains unchanged after being edited, issue seems to be caused by these files.
  • Editing the CIA banner. If anyone has any experience with blender or other programs used to edit .obj files, let me know.

What has been translated so far:
  • Title Screen
  • Main Menu
  • Adventure mode text
  • Solo Arcade menus
  • Challenge mode menus
  • Character Select screen
  • Most of the pre-game/pause menu text
  • Most of the Multiplayer Arcade text
  • Most of the "My Data" menus
  • Lessons

This is a general list of what's left to be translated:
  • Adventure Mode graphical text
Some screenshots and a link to the latest version of the translation can be found below. Also please report any glitches or errors you may notice. Included are LayeredFS plugins for both the original game and the v1.1 update as well as a "fixed" banner.bin.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English Translation v0.3b

CHANGELOG:

v0.3b said:
Beta Release

- New Font!
- Essentially re-did the all the graphical text with a font that's very similar to the official release.

- Story mode is now complete. (Much thanks to @DarkSynopsis).
- (I still need to go through and do a final proof read)

- Translated text now matches the official release.

- TONS of new translated text.

- The DLC story acts are now translated.

Please note: Because of the recent 3DS online bans, the translation of the "Online" mode had been suspended until further notice.**

Also, this is technically a "pre-release" as I haven't had the time to work on this project lately and there are still some things that need to be fixed.

v0.22 said:
- A bunch of new translations and fixes

- "My Data" menus are very close to being done

- Other minor changes

v0.21 said:
- Small changes and fixes.

- Game modes and characters names updated per the official English localization.

v0.20 said:
- Essentially I redid all the text thats been translated so far. I wasn't happy with how it looked and now it looks much cleaner.

- Thanks to @Nagato and the latest build of CTPK Tool, all of the graphical errors caused by etc1a4 encoded images should be fixed. Again this makes things look much better.

- The patch now includes the fixed banner.bin which should display properly on any region

- A few minor text edits and new translations.

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Luma3DS v7.0 and above:
  • Rename the “Translated Files” folder to “romfs” and move to "SD:/luma/titles/0004000000101200/".

• Enable the “Enable game patching” option in the Luma3DS config menu.

Build As A CIA:

• Dump your copy of Puyo Puyo Tetris (physical or digital) and extract the files.

• Copy everything from the “Translated Files” folder and merge it with the extracted RomFS.

• Copy the included "banner.bin" and overwrite the original located in the extracted ExeFS.

• Rebuild as a CIA and install.

BootNTR & LayeredFS/OnionFS:

• Place the proper LayeredFS file (either v1.0 or v1.1 depending on your game update version) in "SD:/plugin/0004000000101200/".

• Rename the "Translated Files" folder to "PuyoPuyoTetris" and place it on the root of your SD.

• OnionFS can be substituted for LayeredFS if desired. The default path is "SD:/OnionFS/0004000000101200/romfs/".

CREDITS
- @Nagato for his work on "CTPK Tool". Without it this project wouldn't exist.
-@DarkSynopsis for figuring out how to edit the non-graphical text (as well as translating almost all of it).
- @sj33 & @Zander1995 for helping with some of the translations.
- All the homebrew devs that've have made translations and ROM hacks possible.
- Last but not least SEGA. Please go buy the official English localization on PS4 or Switch.

If you are looking for the Wii U translation, it can be found here.

Preview Screenshots said:

Last edited by ongo_gablogian,

ongo_gablogian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Once you have edited all your files in the banner folder (ExtractedBanner) Run HT3DS -> b -> 2

Or here
http://www79.zippyshare.com/v/yJuxdLHx/file.html

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://imgur.com/gUAr5tj

Easy to translate, just found the font you want use, and replace the text using Photoshop

Replacing the text is no problem, the issue I'm having is figuring what it means in english. I'm hoping someone who speaks japanese will want to help out with the translation.

ongo_gablogian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Small update:

For the time being, I figured out how to "fix" the Japanese banner so it works in all regions. That being said I still would really appreciate some assistance in making a translated version. I was able to extract and edit the png in the .bcmdl, but at the moment I have no way of importing the files as EFE is unable to save the file and Ohana hasn't been working with my PC.
If anyone could help with that I've uploaded the modified files here.

Also I'm still looking for some people to help with the translation, so if you're interested in joining up please let me know.

uwBh21R.png

ongo_gablogian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping it would be more accurate than not, but unless someone who speaks japanese steps in to help, I'm most likely going to have to do my best with the various online resources that are available. Puyo Nexus was actually one of the main sites I've been using as a reference, I just don't want to spend time making graphics that are incorrect.

Also I have some of those lines of text translated from the GAMESETTING_CMN01_D4444 file, but I decided to include them anyway incase I could get a more accurate translation.

Reactions: Deleted User

ongo_gablogian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just an idea, but have you tried online OCR to get them converted into text and then plug it into translators?
I hadn't thought of that, thanks. I've tried a few different sites and they work pretty well for regular text, but unfortunately not so well for graphics.

UPDATE:

I just uploaded v0.2 of the translation! Included are some pretty substantial changes:

- Essentially I redid all the text thats been translated so far. I wasn't happy with how it looked and is much cleaner now.

- Thanks to @Nagato and the latest build of CTPK Tool, all of the graphical errors caused by etc1a4 encoded images should be fixed. Again this makes a ton of the graphics look much better.

- The patch now includes the "fixed" japanese banner which should work on any region (I still need help with rebuilding a .bcmdl, if anyone can help with this let me know)

- A few minor text edits and new translations.

Puyo Puyo Tetris English Translation v0.2

Timburpton

Trophies
XP
Country
I hadn't thought of that, thanks. I've tried a few different sites and they work pretty well for regular text, but unfortunately not so well for graphics.

There's probably some commercial OCR software which you can "acquire".

Also, do you reckon there's any chance of a translated cia magically popping up on that iso site?

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I can't dig into the code because I know nothing about that stuff, but I'll gladly help translate any actual text that needs translating if the workload if too much.

ongo_gablogian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's probably some commercial OCR software which you can "acquire".

Also, do you reckon there's any chance of a translated cia magically popping up on that iso site?

I'll look into the OCR thing some more, should definitely be useful. I'm not going to upload the CIA to the voldemort site, but it's pretty easy to build one using Asia81's Hacking Toolkit.

I can't dig into the code because I know nothing about that stuff, but I'll gladly help translate any actual text that needs translating if the workload if too much.
Thanks a ton! Here's a link to some of the text I've been trying to get through at the moment.

Timburpton

Trophies
XP
Country
I'll look into the OCR thing some more, should definitely be useful. I'm not going to upload the CIA to the voldemort site, but it's pretty easy to build one using Asia81's Hacking Toolkit.

Thanks a ton! Here's a link to some of the text I've been trying to get through at the moment.

What I did with the link right, I used the android google translate app to scan the image, it is able to detect the phrases really well. I'd expect better results from a proper OCR software.

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Button00_AB
このせっていで - something like "This Setting"
Need some context for where it appears.​

CHARASELECT_1P_SPEC02_D4444 (These are a bit difficult without knowing what they do)
バランスタイプ - Balance Type
みんなをおじゃまタイプ - Hinder Everyone Type (Handicap Everyone?)
じぶんを強化タイプ - Self-Strengthening Type
スペシャルタイプ - Special type
CHARASELECT_1P03_D4444
チームセレクト - Team Select
GAMESETTING_CMN02_D4444 (Context is everything)
デコせってい - Deco Set/Setting (Decoration Set/Setting? Possibly Decor Set/Setting)
PAUSE_MENU_02_D4444
レベル - Level
以内 - Less Than (<)
以上 - Greater Than (>)
相手にしょうり - Opponent's Victory/Give Up/Concede Defeat​
Gotta head out now but I can try getting to the others when I come home.

AttackOtter

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Time for part 2
GAMESETTING_CMN01_D4444 (Context always helps...)
ハンデキャップ - Handicap
連鎖しばり - Chain Connect/Link/etc
おじゃまぷよレート - Nuisance Puyo Rate
ぷよを消せる個数 - Puyo Pop Amount
ロックダウン - Lockdown
クリア条件: - Clear Condition/Objective:​

PAUSE_MENU_01_D4444
リプレイをおわる - End Replay
リプレイにもどる - Back to Replay
はじめからみる - From the Start/From the Top/Start Over
つぎにすすむ - Continue
次の相手をさがす - Next Opponent
おたすけクリアですすむ - Clear level help (Helps you to clear a level you've lost on multiple times)
他の人とたいせん - Play with others/Multiplayer
LESSON02_D4444
基本編 - Basic Course
応用編 - Advanced Course
研究編 - Extra Classes​

PAUSE_MENU_00_D4444
たいせんじょうほう - Match Info
リプレイをおわる - End Replay
点以上 - More Points? Honestly not sure what this is.
GAMESETTING_CMN04_D4444
マラソンチャレンジ - Marathon Challenge
ラインチャレンジ - Line Challenge
ウルトラチャレンジ - Ultra Challenge
チャレンジぷよぷよ - Puyo Puyo Challenge
チャレンジフィーバー - Fever Challenge
チャレンジちびぷよ - Tiny Puyo Challenge​

Reactions: Kokonoe

ongo_gablogian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Button00_AB
このせっていで - something like "This Setting"
Need some context for where it appears.​

CHARASELECT_1P_SPEC02_D4444 (These are a bit difficult without knowing what they do)
バランスタイプ - Balance Type
みんなをおじゃまタイプ - Hinder Everyone Type (Handicap Everyone?)
じぶんを強化タイプ - Self-Strengthening Type
スペシャルタイプ - Special type
CHARASELECT_1P03_D4444
チームセレクト - Team Select
GAMESETTING_CMN02_D4444 (Context is everything)
デコせってい - Deco Set/Setting (Decoration Set/Setting? Possibly Decor Set/Setting)
PAUSE_MENU_02_D4444
レベル - Level
以内 - Less Than (<)
以上 - Greater Than (>)
相手にしょうり - Opponent's Victory/Give Up/Concede Defeat​

Time for part 2
GAMESETTING_CMN01_D4444 (Context always helps...)
ハンデキャップ - Handicap
連鎖しばり - Chain Connect/Link/etc
おじゃまぷよレート - Nuisance Puyo Rate
ぷよを消せる個数 - Puyo Pop Amount
ロックダウン - Lockdown
クリア条件: - Clear Condition/Objective:​

PAUSE_MENU_01_D4444
リプレイをおわる - End Replay
リプレイにもどる - Back to Replay
はじめからみる - From the Start/From the Top/Start Over
つぎにすすむ - Continue
次の相手をさがす - Next Opponent
おたすけクリアですすむ - Clear level help (Helps you to clear a level you've lost on multiple times)
他の人とたいせん - Play with others/Multiplayer
LESSON02_D4444
基本編 - Basic Course
応用編 - Advanced Course
研究編 - Extra Classes​

PAUSE_MENU_00_D4444
たいせんじょうほう - Match Info
リプレイをおわる - End Replay
点以上 - More Points? Honestly not sure what this is.
GAMESETTING_CMN04_D4444
マラソンチャレンジ - Marathon Challenge
ラインチャレンジ - Line Challenge
ウルトラチャレンジ - Ultra Challenge
チャレンジぷよぷよ - Puyo Puyo Challenge
チャレンジフィーバー - Fever Challenge
チャレンジちびぷよ - Tiny Puyo Challenge​

Wow! I haven't check on this thread in a while, thank you so much!. I will try and get these changes implemented asap. Also for those that are interested, I uploaded a newer version of the patch to a github repository I made back in August. The link can be found here:

Puyo Puyo Tetris Github Repo

Also sorry I haven't worked on this project in a while, work has been very overwhelming lately. If anyone would like to help out please let me know. I haven't received any bug reports or suggestions, so if you find anything that seems off or you think anything should be changed, please report it in the thread or send me a PM.

TheBroCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Update hype!

Also sorry I haven't worked on this project in a while, work has been very overwhelming lately. If anyone would like to help out please let me know. I haven't received any bug reports or suggestions, so if you find anything that seems off or you think anything should be changed, please report it in the thread or send me a PM.

I can't help with programming or translations, but I can definitely play it and let you know if I see anything amiss!

EDIT: This is my first time building a CIA so maybe I missed something, it plays fine but the update notification doesn't seem to go away even after updating - anyway to get rid of it?

Last edited by TheBroCode,

ongo_gablogian

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update hype!

I can't help with programming or translations, but I can definitely play it and let you know if I see anything amiss!

EDIT: This is my first time building a CIA so maybe I missed something, it plays fine but the update notification doesn't seem to go away even after updating - anyway to get rid of it?

Great, I could definitely use some help with testing/feedback.

About the update, I haven't run into that issue yet, so I'm not too sure. Just make sure you've installed the correct v1.1 update CIA.

Update Info said:
更新データ Ver. 1.1 ぷよぷよテトリス
Serial: CTR-U-BPTJ
Title ID: 0004000e00101200

TheBroCode

Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, I thought I could just update it normally via the system menu but after getting the update CIA from somewhere else it's fine now :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16