ROM Hack [WIP] Paragon (Fire Emblem Fates)

PixelHacker

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I'm really sorry if this is redundant and someone asked this before. How do I download and run applications like Paragon and Ignis. I'm stuck with the "building" process and such.

You shouldn't need to do the building process unless you're editing the source code itself. For Paragon, go to the "Paragon Downloads" link in the original post, then click on the arrow by the word "assets" on the most recent release. From there, click on the .zip file for your operating system, download it, and extract it into a folder. It's a similar process for Ignis.

HalberdEX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello! I'm really sorry if this is redundant and someone asked this before. How do I download and run applications like Paragon and Ignis. I'm stuck with the "building" process and such. I have little to no experience with coding stuff and it all looks super intimidating. I've tried and I've got up to the part where I have downloaded both rust and python, and the respective "requirements". If there is an existing link to a discord I can join to get help, or if you wanted to reach out to me personally and help me that way I can further explain my problem and such. I literally just want to be able to click on a little application button for this to work cause I'm not too too tech savy. I apologize if explaining this to a complete noob isn't something you have time for, as long as you can provide any help such as a link or youtube video for me to follow that makes these things a lot easier would be really really appriciated! also thank you so much for staying active on this site lol.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hey! I'm also doing something similar except for revelations. I'm sorry I don't quite have an answer you are looking for but do you mind going into a bit what your playthrough is like? Like what are some changes you've made to your corrins to have more fun in terms of modding. I saw you mentioned you edited personal skills which sounds really cool! But anyways I suggest maybe editing the corrin's to people you can get on both routes for instance felicia, jakob, izana, maybe even fuga.

No worries, I ended up finding the answer through trial and error. The playthrough is fine so far, I'd say. We've gotten further into modifying the game, even going as far as to shift around chapter bosses. In regards to Corrins, we've changed around the IDs used to allow for supports, personal skills, assets/voices used, etc. The majority can be done using both a hex editor and Paragon itself, but what I'm having trouble with atm is getting it to work with FEFTwiddler now.

Also, I ended up trying that suggestion-generally successful, but weirder on the route-exclusive units. Thanks!

HalberdEX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No worries, I ended up finding the answer through trial and error. The playthrough is fine so far, I'd say. We've gotten further into modifying the game, even going as far as to shift around chapter bosses. In regards to Corrins, we've changed around the IDs used to allow for supports, personal skills, assets/voices used, etc. The majority can be done using both a hex editor and Paragon itself, but what I'm having trouble with atm is getting it to work with FEFTwiddler now.

Also, I ended up trying that suggestion-generally successful, but weirder on the route-exclusive units. Thanks!

On that note, I meant on asking something. My friends and I were adding in custom chapters that weren't previously there, and have run into a few obstacles now that they're added. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to delete chapters in Paragon, as the option doesn't seem to be there-not for chapters that weren't originally there, and not even going back to the Alpha versions of the software.

NicoFE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am trying to use Paragon for both Awakening and Fates. Both of the games are having issues and I am a complete beginner who doesn't know the first place to start in trying to resolve them, so any help would be very appreciated.

Awakening is doing this when I try to load a project for it:

0: Failed to read data from store 'portraits'.
1: File 'face/FaceData.bin.lz' does not exist.

And Fates I have previously used perfectly fine in older versions of Paragon, but having updated to the most recent release it started saying this and I don't know what could be causing that:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "paragon\core\workers\load_project_worker.py", line 65, in run
Exception: Failed to read data from stores.

Caused by:
0: Failed to read data from store 'rom0'.
1: File 'asset/ROM0.lz' does not exist.

DragoniteChamp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm hoping this is the right place to ask this.
I was looking to make some bonus "challenge" chapters for Fates. Essentially I'm copying a chapter from the main game (I typically use Marth's Hero battle) and edit it for the following things:
I change the type from Hero Battles to either Story, Paragon, or even Invasion. I also change the requirements to be Chapter 6 of each route (since that's where my save is). Program saves it fine, and the game with the mods added loads in fine. (I'm using Citra for the time being for testing purposes).
However, if the map is selected, it has one of 2 effects, depending on what type it's set to. If it is set to Story or Paragon, the game errors out and kicks me to the title screen, with the error "Failed to load file". However, if it is set to Invasion, the game just plain out freezes.
What can I do to fix this? Would other maps work? Nothing else is modded in, just the map. I'm using a .3ds version of NA Fates Special Edition, and I'm on the Revelation path. I can provide the romfs/save file if so needed.

Attachments

• maploader.png
    maploader.png
    570.4 KB · Views: 166

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm having good results so far editing Fire Emblem Awakening dialogue and adding new Supports. I gotta play the game more to see if they work. I have taken a japanese fanfiction from some online manga to add a new C->A support between Chrom and Emmeryn. I could see it happening in the story, so I took the plunge. If it works, I'll probably upload it somewhere so you can have that little extra next time you replay it.

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lots of questions - let's see what I can get through.

You probably need to copy the chapter script as well - there's no warning about this in Paragon yet, but this file is required and Paragon cannot handle for you yet. So solution would be to take the source chapter's script from the ROM (ex. {ROM}/Scripts/A000.cmb) and copy it to your output folder with the name of your chapter (ex. {Output}/Scripts/TEST.cmb). Do the same for the _Terrain.cmb file as well.

Confirm that your ROM path goes to a valid, extracted RomFS. Make sure that the file in the error message is present. If it is, might be an issue with where the files are stored - the rewrite doesn't play well with stuff like OneDrive currently, so that might be the issue.

On that note, I meant on asking something. My friends and I were adding in custom chapters that weren't previously there, and have run into a few obstacles now that they're added. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to delete chapters in Paragon, as the option doesn't seem to be there-not for chapters that weren't originally there, and not even going back to the Alpha versions of the software.
This isn't an option in Paragon yet because I'm still figuring out what policy I want for deleting loose files (dispos, scripts, dialogue, etc).

As a workaround, you could make it impossible to unlock the chapter.

I've signed up just to ask, how on earth do you import on Paragon? I would imagine it would usually be at file, but it's just not there. Just Save, Reload and quit.

View attachment 272260
Sorry, Paragon went through a major rewrite recently and I'm still moving importing over.

For now, you can use this version: https://github.com/thane98/paragon/releases/tag/Alpha-14-3

Last edited by thane98,

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
So far my edits are working. Made two support convos with an added S-tier, and a Chapter edit. But one glitch I encountered is that one random-encounter map had all its combats load up some kind of test-map.

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far my edits are working. Made two support convos with an added S-tier, and a Chapter edit. But one glitch I encountered is that one random-encounter map had all its combats load up some kind of test-map.
Usually an issue with the landscape file - still haven't figured out what Paragon breaks in those. You can probably delete everything in your output folder's data/landscape unless you're trying to edit map models.

NicoFE

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was able to get both of them working; however, I have another question to just make sure everything is working correctly. When editing in Fates is "Corrin's" spot in the Characters section supposed to be default? I'm just wondering because I have a save game already and Corrin is default along with previous edits I made to the Witch class with a previous version of Paragon not showing up when I check the class (I edited it to be able to use Staves). I just want to know know how exactly Paragon interacts with save data if that makes sense.

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I was able to get both of them working; however, I have another question to just make sure everything is working correctly. When editing in Fates is "Corrin's" spot in the Characters section supposed to be default? I'm just wondering because I have a save game already and Corrin is default along with previous edits I made to the Witch class with a previous version of Paragon not showing up when I check the class (I edited it to be able to use Staves). I just want to know know how exactly Paragon interacts with save data if that makes sense.
I'm not sure what you mean by "default" here.

Editing stats and classes for characters that have already joined the army won't work since everything is in the save.

Not sure what's going on with witches not being able to use staves after your edit - that should work on an existing save.

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
So, I might need some help here.

One of my edits in FE Awakening was an added S-support to a character Chrom can speak to, and edits to Chapter 11 to attempt to account for it. (I copied the multiple subchapters from Sully, and edited the JP name to match the one used for the new S support)

Now, it completely skipped and then showed Chrom getting married to a random maiden but afterwards I realized that the new character I wanted IS registered as his wife.

Question is, how do you edit the conditionals that triggers specific subchapters? I clearly need to do something beyond just adding new subchapters. The game needs to know it can select them, or it's not going to.

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I might need some help here.

One of my edits in FE Awakening was an added S-support to a character Chrom can speak to, and edits to Chapter 11 to attempt to account for it. (I copied the multiple subchapters from Sully, and edited the JP name to match the one used for the new S support)

Now, it completely skipped and then showed Chrom getting married to a random maiden but afterwards I realized that the new character I wanted IS registered as his wife.

Question is, how do you edit the conditionals that triggers specific subchapters? I clearly need to do something beyond just adding new subchapters. The game needs to know it can select them, or it's not going to.
I don't know everything that goes into determining who Chrom marries, so I can't give a perfect answer here. I know you need to update the chapter script forr it to work though. You could try looking at that in Exalt.

DragoniteChamp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably need to copy the chapter script as well - there's no warning about this in Paragon yet, but this file is required and Paragon cannot handle for you yet. So solution would be to take the source chapter's script from the ROM (ex. {ROM}/Scripts/A000.cmb) and copy it to your output folder with the name of your chapter (ex. {Output}/Scripts/TEST.cmb). Do the same for the _Terrain.cmb file as well.

That exactly fixed it! Thanks for that!

Next question, if you don’t mind. Is there a way to import other files? I extracted the romfs from the Before Awakening DLC, and I’m trying to add it to base game. The only case of importing I’ve seen in this thread (unless I missed it) was importing JSON files, which doesn’t apply to this case. I’m mostly attempting to import the Awakening characters, but the items/Map would be great too!

Any and all help is appreciated :D

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That exactly fixed it! Thanks for that!

Next question, if you don’t mind. Is there a way to import other files? I extracted the romfs from the Before Awakening DLC, and I’m trying to add it to base game. The only case of importing I’ve seen in this thread (unless I missed it) was importing JSON files, which doesn’t apply to this case. I’m mostly attempting to import the Awakening characters, but the items/Map would be great too!

Any and all help is appreciated :D
There's no automatic way to import these currently - you would need to manually merge the characters, items, etc (redoing the changes in Paragon).

I think you could just copy over the map files. You would still need to set up the chapter though.

thane98

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would I go about creating and adding voices for new characters? Is it possible to add voices in paragon?
Adding voice lines is possible, but difficult. You can use a tool like BCSAR View to add the sounds to the game. Afterwards, you need to make the lines usable through the "Sound Sets" editor in Paragon. For sound sets just model based off of what's already there.

Vahdokah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to fix the black background glitch for the critical cut in for female corrin, idk why it does it, but i'd like to be able to fix it if possible

AlexiaRP

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have been trying to add a new enemy to one of the Fates chapter, but it always ends up as a Level 1 Shiro in the Villager class. I added the new enemy unit in the "Chapter Characters" tab, and set up everything like any other enemy on the map (Except ID of course, which is 1 higher than the last entry).
The unit I'm adding is a edited version of the 17th Bond Unit as I don't know how to make a completely new PID and just changed one that isn't used instead.
I feel like I'm missing something ID related to make this work.

Aidster_fan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I managed to use BCSAR View to add new voice lines but I think I'm messing up with the sound sets. Specifically I'm adding crit cut in lines and for some reason it only plays one of the sounds I put in. I've got the sound set set up by copying another one and changing the sound to be the name of the new sounds but for some reason all those sounds are the same sound even though I've made sure in BCSAR View that they are all different.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Hands free vr