Homebrew [WIP] installMii - Graphical repository downloader

Where homebrew descriptions should be loaded from?

• From the related smdh file

Votes: 19 40.4%
  • From the repo package list (aka packages.json)

Votes: 28 59.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simonepsp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
aIAqauV.png

What's installMii?
installMii is an easy and fast package manager for Nintendo 2DS/3DS.
It is repository based. This means that you can set your own homebrew URL source list and installMii will download packages for you!

It currently supports .3ds/.3dsx homebrews only and .cia support is in development.

[photos are at the end of this post]

**installMii is based on "3ds Homebrew Browser", a discontinued project made by zeta013.
A big thanks to this developer. My project currently shares some code with his homebrew, mostly in the UI and the download handling.

How can I add a new repository to installMii?
installMii comes with a configuration file called "repo.list". This file contains a list of preinstalled repositories. You can change it as you like, adding or removing urls.

Here's an example of "repo.list". This file can be located in the SD card root or in the /3ds/installMii/ folder.

Code:
{
  "repos": [
  {
  "name": "REPO 1",
  "url": "http://www.example.com/repo1/"
  },
  {
  "name": "REPO 2",
  "url": "http://www.example2.com/"
  }
  ]
}

Can I host my own repository?
Absolutely yes. Just create a packages.json file (example below) in your prefered webserver folder.
Then you can share your repository url with everyone!

How to configure my repository?
There are 2 important files in every repo:

• "packages.json": this file contains informations about the repository and the packages list. It has to be placed in the root folder of the repo.
  • "package.list": Every homebrew folder should have one. It contains the list of files and folders that have to be downloaded by the installMii client.

Here's an example of the "packages.json" file:

Code:
{
  "repo": {
  "name": "Example repo",
  "author": "simonepsp",
  "website": null
  },
  "packages": [
  {
  "name": "3DS Craft",
  "author": "smea",
  "short_description": "WoW! Minecraft for 3DS",
  "category": "games",
  "website:": null,
  "type": "3ds",
  "version": "1.0.1",
  "dl_path": "3ds/3dscraft/",
  "info_path": "3ds/3dscraft/3dscraft.smdh"
  }
  ]
}

A brief explanation of the parameters:

name: Package name
author: Package author
type: usually "3ds" or "cia".
version: Package version number
dl_path: path of the homebrew folder on your server. installMii will look here for a file called package.list.
info_path: path of the homebrew icon on your server

Every homebrew folder also need to have a package.list file. This file is basically a list of every file contained in the homebrew folder.
Here's an example image explaining how to create it:

JVRwI0V.png

___

I advice you to download this example package to better undestand how to configure your own repository:
Example repository files: DOWNLOAD

Can I use custom icons for packages?
Sure. If you have a repository you can manually specify which smdh should be used.
This can be done modifing the "info_path" parameter into the "packages.json" file.

Controls

• Touchscreen: Browse homebrews
  • UP/Down : Browse application list
  • L/R : Switch between categories
  • A : Install homebrew
  • Y: Change homebrew order
  • Start: Exit
  • Select: Download new package list from repos
How to install it?
just copy the "installMii" folder into /3ds/ on your SD card.
I'll also release a .cia version.

Where can I download installMii?
Latest version: 0.1c [Build 19-gen-2015]
DOWNLOAD latest installMii: HERE

Please have a look on the "How can I contribute to the project?" section. This will help me to speed up the project :)

What is currently working?
[√] Configuration file with user-defined repo list
[√] Repository updating
[√] Showing homebrew description, version and author
[√] Homebrew downloading
[√] UI and category switching
[√] Downloading UI
[√] SD writing and parsing
[√] Checking if an homebrew has been already installed
[√] .cia files downloading [installing coming soon]

TODO [constantly updating]
- .cia files installation
- better categories handling
- adding/removing repos from the app
- package search function

Can I see some photos of the project?

Sure :)

qJQF2aJ.jpg

SThAPFK.jpg

How can I contribute to the project?
As I said before, users feedback is very important. If you have an idea that could improve installMii, please tell me so.
Remember that this is just an hobby for me. I'll work on the project when I have time :)

Another way to contribute is offering me a coffee donating via Skrill or BTC:

My email: simonepsp[at]gmail[dot]com
BTC address: 138sK3nZ3yJDooYcFMXUHciawwSu9YUQ22

I love homebrews development and I'd like to buy a used N3DS XL. Donations would help me a lot :) Thanks

Can I contact you privately?
Sure, just email me or send me a PM

Hope you like this project. I'll update this post when I'll have news.
Have a nice day
Simon

Last edited by simonepsp,
D

Deleted User

This is great; clearly a lot of effort has been put into this!

This has potential! :)

simonepsp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Can this download updates from like RetroArch or mGBA that are usually downloaded as compressed files?
Currently it only supports direct downloading of .3ds/.3dsx/.cia files from repos. I'll check if I can implement a .zip file decompression into installMii. Thanks for your advice :)

Last edited by simonepsp,
Reactions: ShadowOne333
D

Deleted User

Hopefully this one doesnt just disappear like the others because it looks good. I swear this is like the 10th attempt at one of these

Reactions: orangy57

simonepsp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So it auto-installs homebrew from the internet? Is there a way to upload your own homebrew?
Correct. You can also host your own repository and upload on it the packages you want.

If you are familiar with linux, it's a bit like using apt-get or pacman. You define a mirrorlist (or repo list) and installMii will download the packages list from every URL you set.
Then you'll be able to browse this list and directly download the homebrews you need.

Hope I've been clear :) English isn't my main language.
Have a nice day.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Haha. I just started a similar project about a week ago. It fetches from a centralized github repo that auto-merges PRs by whitelisted authors. Oh well, good luck. :P
Nice :) Good luck for your project

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it auto-installs homebrew from the internet? Is there a way to upload your own homebrew?
looks like it's similar to a package manager on linux, where you can host your own repository and users can add it to their local package manager config and download stuff from it... so it is possible :)

EDIT: ninja'd :ninja:

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct. You can also host your own repository and upload on it the packages you want.

If you are familiar with linux, it's a bit like using apt-get or pacman. You define a mirrorlist (or repo list) and installMii will download the packages list from every URL you set.
Then you'll be able to browse this list and directly download the homebrews you need.

Hope I've been clear :) English isn't my main language.
Have a nice day.

looks like it's similar to a package manager on linux, where you can host your own repository and users can add it to their local package manager config and download stuff from it... so it is possible :)

EDIT: ninja'd :ninja:

Thanks guys! I will be adding my own repo for Simple-Calc and Picross3D (name isn't final) once it comes out. I can't wait!

Reactions: dark_samus3

simonepsp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hopefully this one doesnt just disappear like the others because it looks good. I swear this is like the 10th attempt at one of these
Yes, I know that some project with similar purposes disappeared before launching, but I've worked a lot on my project and I won't leave it unfinished ;)
Most things work and I hope I'll soon be able to publish the first build.

AtlanticBit

Yeh, fuck this
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
finally someone decided to take on a similar initiative to CTRepo. feels good to see something like this coming out. hope there aren't too many warez repos out there.

Xenosaiga

Time to switch it up
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great. I just realized that the people on here that keep trying to claim everybody else's work as theirs will make a repo hosting their "stolen work" and claim it is their work.

As such I believe we need a "verified repo" section for OP or have where anybody that wants to add a repo has to go through a "Verification stage" with @simonepsp before their repo gets added.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."