[WIP] Halo Solitude & Halo Revamped 3DS Port

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TCPixel, Sep 27, 2016.

1. TCPixel
    OP

TCPixel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Hey gbatemp! If any of you guys were in the psp modding scene around 2010, you would know about different quake mods like Nazi Zombies Portable and Halo Solitude. Thanks to MasterFeizz for porting over Quake 1 to the 3DS, enabling this sort of project to be possible.

Halo Solitude is a quake mod made by FlamingIce and abandoned, with various versions of the game floating around. It is a solely multiplayer title, allowing players to battle against ai bots, and possibly play local multiplayer(checking into this).

I am working on bringing this awesome and fun multiplayer mod over to the 3DS with great progress so far. My goal is to get a few small multiplayer compatible maps together, fix the menu graphics, and then release the port for a whole new generation of mod and homebrew lovers to enjoy on one of the coolest portable systems ever.

Here is a couple videos of the progress so far!
    The initial port

Updated build

Local multiplayer & cross platform demonstration

Halo Revamped Running on 3DS - Firefight Trailer! (I made this very late at night, please forgive me for my spelling)

Swat Game Variant Showcase

HUD And Menu Showcase

Halo Revamped is a mod that started with halo solitude as a base and expanded and built off of it, much deeper than even the Solitude beta 4. This is already working, and will be improved and shown off later.

I will update this thread with new videos and links as they are made.

Last edited by TCPixel, Oct 10, 2016
    TLOZmaster, Roboman, plug313 and 38 others like this.

2. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    Cool! I had this on my PSP a while ago, great way to kill time. I'm looking forward to seeing more about this for sure!

Kvnrdrguez and TCPixel like this.
  3. Pokemon9007

Pokemon9007 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2015
    United States
    Beautiful, one of the first big projects I've seen in a while with actual promise and work done.

DarkRioru, Wolfy and TCPixel like this.
  4. Feryth

Feryth Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2016
    United States
    West Virginia
    This looks very good! I can't wait to try it out!

DarkRioru likes this.
  5. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Looks cool. Can't wait to play it!

6. Ricken

Ricken Crawling from Hell, Falling from Grace

Jan 19, 2016
    United States
    Shibuya, The small one from Vegas
    Extreme Hype!!
    Is this New3DS only? (if no, will Circle Pad Pro support be added?)

Last edited by Ricken, Sep 27, 2016
  7. hacksn5s4

hacksn5s4 Banned

Banned
    Aug 12, 2015
    no cause its a quake mod and quake runs on old 3ds and if you look at the textures their way worse then the best grapichs on the old 3ds

Ricken likes this.
  8. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

Jan 8, 2016
    United States
    Dear God, it's happened.

Wolfy, Ricken and Feryth like this.
  9. Wolfy

Wolfy Person That Never Was

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    Somewhere In The Aether...
    "WHY ARE WE NOT FUNDING THIS!"

Minnow, ih8ih8sn0w, zeldaism and 2 others like this.
  10. DarkRioru

DarkRioru Akage Chan's Servent

Aug 29, 2015
    United States
    Fluffing Akage Chan's Tail
    awesome... hats off to you @TCPixel I'm a big fan of your channel... keep it up... here's more quake mod ideas to port to perk your fancy

qreate(garrys mod like spawning/creativity in quake) http://www.moddb.com/mods/qreate
    kickflip quake (skateboarding in quake, eh... it would satisfy me until gamecube emulation becomes a thing in about 6 years after the end of the 3ds line) http://www.moddb.com/mods/kickflip-quake

team fortress in quake (its freaking TF!!! why not lol) http://www.moddb.com/mods/custom-teamfortress

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

fund this guy with a round of drinks! people prep your root beer and wine

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

oh come on the graphics aren't that bad... mh3u looks pretty good on the 3ds.. I don't pay attention to micro pixles on the ground that would take a microscope to see because I'm too busy killing monsters...

11. MasterFeizz

MasterFeizz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 15, 2015
    United States
    None of those mods need to be ported, just put their data folder inside the ctrQuake folder and create a shortcut.

12. Naievil

Naievil Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    United States
    Glad to see you still working Mexi...
    This doesn't take advantage of hardware acceleration, right? You're just working off of the CPU port @MasterFeizz did? I've run into major problems with the NZP "port" that I tease since it's CPU driven (no HLBSP, WAD3 (if I remember correctly))

What version of Revamped is this based off of?

Edit: I forgot to offer any help. If you have any questions about porting it then I may or may not be able to answer it. You can see my work on the NZP forum, though it's all still PSP

Last edited by Naievil, Sep 27, 2016
  13. TCPixel
    OP

TCPixel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Oh you are porting over NZP to 3DS? I was going to check into that as well. Since there is no hardware acceleration yet, there still is lockups and freezes in some areas. NZP had some engine code done like the HUD and possibly other elements as well. Keep in mind alot of the PSP quake mods actually ran off of the kurok engine, and the kurok engine had alot more features that won't be accessible on the 3ds version(take for instance animation interpolation, fog, and skyboxes)

PS: who are you? :O

14. Naievil

Naievil Member

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    United States
    I did a very very basic port to test how the models and other things functioned on the 3DS, along with playing with a few other things. It was extremely rough and just a test to see how the CPU handled it (NOT WELL). I am by no means working on it.

It's true that a lot of the PSP quake mods ran off of kurok, as dquake had a problem with multiplayer (and still does!).

Animation interpolation, fog, and skyboxes have thankfully been added to the nzp engine, so I never had trouble with coding without them. I am fairly sure that animation interpolation has been added as well, but don't quote me on it.

I work on the NZP Unofficial Patch: http://nzportable.forumotion.com/t1976-patch-nzp-unofficial-patch-1-0-5-1

Edit: AND, for a brief moment, I worked on fixing up a copy of Revamped: http://augustine.forumotion.com/t742-unreleased-revamped

TCPixel likes this.
  15. TCPixel
    OP

TCPixel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2015
    United States
    Added a new trailer for Halo Revamped, that should be releasing soon! Halo Revamped is essentially a mod I made of Solitude that heavily revamped the gameplay to include new features I had wanted in like weapon pull out animations, limited grenades, the new Solitude Spartan, Ai Elite and Grunts, unique sounds for every weapon, player body weapons are visible, and a HUD will be implemented at a later point, not on release I imagine. I might add I had some issues with some of those old solitude builds, and even the beta builds I had made were crashing ctrquake. I ported over revision 17 of revamped from the psp and am not getting any overflow problems which is great. I'm going to include maps that I know will not crash the software renderer at least. Map compatability may increase when the hardware renderer is released for ctrquake.
    Thanks everyone!

xtheman likes this.
  16. Giodude

Giodude Ruler of Italy

GBAtemp Patron
    Giodude is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 17, 2015
    United States
    New York
    nice! Been following this on your channel, super nice work with this!

zeldaism and TCPixel like this.
  17. Wolfy

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    The hypeeeee!!!

Just once more, thank you for working on this :grog:

TCPixel likes this.
  18. DutchyDutch

DutchyDutch COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL

Nov 16, 2014
    Netherlands
    That looks amazing! Best homebrew project I've ever seen for the 3DS. Keep it up!

Will we ever be able to play multiplayer on our own servers and perhaps even have voice chat?

19. Wolfy

Aug 18, 2015
    United States
    The fact that we can play from the PC over the local network is basically already a local server so no problems there, voice chat however will probably never come to the 3DS as that is more data it needs to deal with and I doubt people would be playing this in separate rooms.

20. TimX24968B

TimX24968B "That guy"

Oct 28, 2015
    United States
    Nowhere
    Really looking forward to seeing this come out as a full release. Is it going to be in .3dsx or .cia format?