Homebrew [WIP][Game] Bottomless Block Barrage - a Tetris Attack/Panel De Pon/Pokemon Puzzle League clone

TricksterGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OH MY GOD I FUCKING LOVE POKEMON PUZZLE CHALLENGE

THIS IS FUCKING GREAT

THIS NEEDS A CYNDAQUIL THEME/MUSIC AND THIS IS LITERALLY BEST HOMEBREW

Seeing this I may consider allowing full customization of all graphics, but I'd have to nail down the format for all graphics / sounds to be in first. I think it would be a great addition.

I'll try this out once I'll have time, looks good! :D

Btw, if I'll have time, I might make a tutorial on how to use CSND, because appearenty there are no tutorials on how to use CSND.

Cool!

And the devkitpro examples are lacking in this regard but was easy to figure out all of the pieces.

btw I made a music player for the 3ds once, but it is only a side/starter project I may start work on it again someday.

wxWidgets? Nice. Wish more people paid attention to this shit. Leaves us linux users incapable of running things if it's in .NET. :P

Yeah it is slightly annoying when I find a tool and its an .exe and would prefer to compile it myself, but there is Mono/Wine and it works well.

I do all of my development on Linux using cross-platform tools.

Maybe add an option to use the screen vertically?

I will add this later, once UI/Engine has settled

I just realized another thing that I missed during pass 1 of playtesting - all matched blocks disappear at the same time. In the original they disappear gradually in a chain and you can swap to an open position even if the entire chain isn't gone yet.

Yep this is a bug I mistakenly used the "matched" graphics when they are removed instead of actually drawing nothing during those frames and I never used the blinking graphics at all.

These will be addressed before next release.

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a game where you absolutely need to get the feel right. I would suggest carefully studying the gameplay of, say Tetris Attack, watching for how it removes things, how it handles clears, and so on.

Now, I have a question for you... how many colors does your engine support per block graphic? I may be able to create 'new' (think 3D-rendered) graphics for the panels based on the classic appearance, but if it only supports, say, 16 colors each, that's gonna be a bit on the rough side. There's also the resolution of the screen to take into account. I'd hate for it to look blurry at the end size of the graphics, even if they look really good beforehand at a higher resolution.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
This is a game where you absolutely need to get the feel right. I would suggest carefully studying the gameplay of, say Tetris Attack, watching for how it removes things, how it handles clears, and so on.

Now, I have a question for you... how many colors does your engine support per block graphic? I may be able to create 'new' (think 3D-rendered) graphics for the panels based on the classic appearance, but if it only supports, say, 16 colors each, that's gonna be a bit on the rough side. There's also the resolution of the screen to take into account. I'd hate for it to look blurry at the end size of the graphics, even if they look really good beforehand at a higher resolution.

Well, depending on what screenmode it is running, the most commonly used are 65536 (RGB565) or 16777216 (RGB8/RGBA8) colors.
Both screens are 240px tall, and the top screen is 400px, and the bottom screen is 320px in width.

Edit: looking at the soruce, it's using sf2dlib, so it's using RGBA8, so you won't need to worry about color limitations ;)

Last edited by Sono,

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. But, I'm guessing the size on these is gonna be 16x16, right? I just want to make sure what I make is going to look nice when it's displayed on the screen, if it's used at all.

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I've managed to make a preliminary blockset. I don't know how you have your graphics laid out, but this is my take on a '3D' set of panels:

New_Blocks_zpsrxae6bfk.png

TricksterGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice. But, I'm guessing the size on these is gonna be 16x16, right? I just want to make sure what I make is going to look nice when it's displayed on the screen, if it's used at all.

It's tentative, honestly I just did a google search on tetris attack panel graphics and found the ones I am using now.

I would like to stick to 16x16 for now until the UI is settled, I haven't decided how I want everything to look yet and I am open for ideas on this.

.png spritesheets for graphics, .brstm for music?

Yeah lets stick to common formats for graphics, but I can deal with any graphics format not really a big deal.
Sound format is open though as long as I can find a decoder for it.

Okay, so I've managed to make a preliminary blockset. I don't know how you have your graphics laid out, but this is my take on a '3D' set of panels:

New_Blocks_zpsrxae6bfk.png

Cool the only thing thats missing are the matched frame (row 6), game over frame (row 8), and a unmatchable panel (row 1 column 8)
Also I believe can make due without the flash frame (row 7) and pending frame (row 5) , by just blending a color when drawing them, but would be a nice to have.

here is my slightly edited one.

XfV0DZ7.png

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did say it was preliminary. I was just wanting to get some feedback on how they looked before committing to making the whole set. Modeling out the faces is gonna be... fun

If you like them, though, I can finish the images and you're free to use 'em.

TricksterGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh sorry skimmed your post.

They look good, but the border of the panels seems to kinda mesh in making it look rectangular rather than rounded, if you get what I am saying

Still though better than what I can do!

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, I get you... but thing is, what I've got here is pretty high-rez to start with, heh. Each panel's art started at 598x598... pretty difficult to cram that down to 16x16 without loss of quality.

Example:
Shock_Example_zpssrle3ybn.png

Last edited by SRKTiberious,

TricksterGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I see, fair enough

Well here are some considerations

The top screen is 400 x 240
the bottom screen is 320 x 240

Traditionally the game board is 6 columns and 12 rows.

So the maximum size if we did this vertically is 20x20 regardless of which screen its being displayed on (this doesn't account for a border around the board.)
if it were horizontal then 26x26 would be the max size for bottom and 33x33 for top screen.

Edit: I also also note that I currently have 2 px spacing in between panels, so subtract 2 from the above dimensions

Last edited by TricksterGuy,

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right. See, I was always intending for them to be right against each other. That border's gonna throw stuff off, to be honest. You should be thinking of the screen space in 8x8 tiles, which fits both screens perfectly.

Other than that, I've finished the set, using the same layout you have:
[image deleted]

chaoskagami

G̷̘̫̍̈́̊̓̈l̴̙͔̞͠i̵̳͊ţ̸̙͇͒̓c̵̬̪̯̥̳͒͌̚h̵̹̭͛̒̊̽̚
Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
Right. See, I was always intending for them to be right against each other. That border's gonna throw stuff off, to be honest. You should be thinking of the screen space in 8x8 tiles, which fits both screens perfectly.

Other than that, I've finished the set, using the same layout you have:
New_Blocks_zps2zhpxmzk.png

This is going to sound a bit nitpicky, forgive me. Why are there dots on the exclamation block? It looks kind of messy, actually, considering none of the others use that. I'm also not really a fan of the lips on frame six (but again, opinion.) Otherwise, very pretty.

SRKTiberious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is going to sound a bit nitpicky, forgive me. Why are there dots on the exclamation block? It looks kind of messy, actually, considering none of the others use that. I'm also not really a fan of the lips on frame six (but again, opinion.) Otherwise, very pretty.

I based these off the Tetris Attack artwork, and they have little dots there to simulate a rougher texture. Same deal with the lip/mouth colors. I may go back and re-do the green, yellow and red mouths to better reflect the art I was referencing.

Edit:
68548.png

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I based these off the Tetris Attack artwork, and they have little dots there to simulate a rougher texture. Same deal with the lip/mouth colors. I may go back and re-do the green, yellow and red mouths to better reflect the art I was referencing.

I've mostly played the Puzzle League series (Pokemon/Planet) so I haven't seen Tetris Attack's graphics. Didn't know that. Like I said, I'm nitpicking. :)

EDIT: Isn't Tetris Attack also the oldest of the series? The version of the graphics in use now I am pretty sure originate from PPC.

Actually, even better, why not make the interface skinnable?

Last edited by chaoskagami,

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
This is what happens when I'm bored and have nothing better to do (not done yet, but eh, it should give an idea of how I roll):

panels.png

18x18 panels, since you said the maximum was 20x20. This is done as a spritesheet, not 3D like @SRKTiberious. Shall I continue this? It's fairly easy to shrink if needed with how I have the XCF set up - it's all multiplication layers and only one overlay gradient.

Also, if you want any graphics for borders and whatnot, post a list and I'll see if I can help out with anything. :P

Last edited by chaoskagami,

chaoskagami

Developer
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
United States
I just had a go at this, quite fun. Can you only swap panels horizontally or is there a switch direction button I'm missing?

That's just how Puzzle League/Tetris Attack/Panel de Pon works. There's no vertical swaps, because you have to abuse gravity and quick left swaps.

Reactions: Quantumcat

TricksterGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No major update, but starting today I will start addressing action items on my list.

I've mostly played the Puzzle League series (Pokemon/Planet) so I haven't seen Tetris Attack's graphics. Didn't know that. Like I said, I'm nitpicking. :)

EDIT: Isn't Tetris Attack also the oldest of the series? The version of the graphics in use now I am pretty sure originate from PPC.

Actually, even better, why not make the interface skinnable?

Panel de Pon was first, Tetris attack came a year later.

The series is 10 years old now, it is a shame there is was no 3ds version yet hence this project :)

Skinnable interface is the plan

This is what happens when I'm bored and have nothing better to do (not done yet, but eh, it should give an idea of how I roll):

View attachment 53416

18x18 panels, since you said the maximum was 20x20. This is done as a spritesheet, not 3D like @SRKTiberious. Shall I continue this? It's fairly easy to shrink if needed with how I have the XCF set up - it's all multiplication layers and only one overlay gradient.

Also, if you want any graphics for borders and whatnot, post a list and I'll see if I can help out with anything. :P

Actually I think I want to stick to 16x16 officially, but I will allow the code to accept up to 20x20. I've just changed the code (and border image) for 16x16 px panels with no spacing.
Actually TheWolfBunny has a ton of graphics for this game already made that I apparently missed: see his deviantart. Though some work will need to be done to remove the spacing he has between panels in his image.

I'm not picky about borders, the one I had one I made myself in 5 minutes in gimp.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"