[WIP] Flask | Homebrew cia downloader and updater

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by TurtleP, Jun 26, 2016.

1. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/comments/4p7hgp/wippoc_flask_by_turtlep_your_1_stop_homebrew/

Hey everyone,

I've not much to say about the project except that it's a work in progress. Flask will aim to be something like the Cydia package manager where it can download homebrew cia files and install them. On top of this, it will also check for updates for itself and other applications installed on your system on startup. I'm a bit worried to post this thread because it's not exactly done or anything major has been implemented, but here is the link to its Github. Please feel free to contribute toward this project. I'm trying to finish up Turtle: Invaders and get back to Idiot afterwards. The former will not have netplay unfortunately as it has become too strenuous to deal with.

It's written in C++ and I hope you guys will help me move this project along!

2. Ryuzaki_MrL

Ryuzaki_MrL Furry Addict

Jun 23, 2015
    Brazil
    Cool! I was planning to do something like this, but it was going to be called brewShop/hbShop.
    I think I'll be helping you with this one instead.

3. Stevo_l33

Stevo_l33 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2016
    United States
    I'm not able to contribute but wow this sounds amazing! Look forward to seeing how it all works out.

4. RandomKid150

RandomKid150 Translator

Nov 4, 2015
    United States
    Texas
    Nice! :D

5. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Gotta say the concept for this app is wonderful!
    I was wondering how much of a larger scope will this have in terms of apps to update?

6. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    It'll be using (hopefully) only Github repositories to look at and check for the latest tagged release. It'll grab the download url and install it.

ShadowOne333 likes this.
  7. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    memomo likes this.
  8. GreaterDog

GreaterDog A True Warrior, A Warning 9 Warrior

Banned
    Nov 12, 2015
    Trying To Hide From Raulpica's Bans
    basically the homebrew version of free shop

9. ShadowOne333

ShadowOne333 GBAtemp Guru

Jan 17, 2013
    Mexico
    Last edited by ShadowOne333, Jun 26, 2016
  10. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    Brewman is kind of -- from what I saw -- unorganised in a sense and not really "alive" if that makes sense. No offense to Cruel of course! This will only work with cia files since they're commonly made and most users actually have a cfw or a9lh at this point.

cearp and ShadowOne333 like this.
  11. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    ah ok, i understand - although maybe people could improve it, it is open source after all!
    but sure, op can do what they want! good luck! :)

12. Stoned

Stoned GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 26, 2014
    Gambia, The
    Nice. Can you Compile it Please? I dont have Linux

13. Mustaa

Mustaa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    Netherlands
    This seems nice, everything browsing in one place

14. Shajk00

Shajk00 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2016
    Italy
    it would be nice if you released the .cia file , i have issues with portlibs so i can't compile it

15. XavyrrVaati

XavyrrVaati Hobbyist programmer?

Feb 23, 2014
    United States
    Ah I've been wanting something like this! I doubt I can be of much use though, maybe I could look into making a half decent gui if that's wanted. /shrug I'm no good at programming :'D

16. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    It's funny, you always see posts like this in "WIP" or "In Development" threads. OP most likely hasn't released a CIA for a reason, if you can't compile it yourself, you probably shouldn't be running it, what with it being a WIP and all...

Last edited by Drakia, Jun 28, 2016
    Ryuzaki_MrL and XavyrrVaati like this.
  17. Mustaa

Mustaa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2016
    Netherlands
    who said anything abvot running it..

18. Drakia

Drakia GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 15, 2008
    Canada
    Hmm, must have quoted your post by accident :) Meant to just grab the two around it

19. Shajk00

Shajk00 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 30, 2016
    Italy
    why do you even feel the need to answer me if this isn't gonna help at all? i have asked for one thing, and my request wasn't referred to you of course, I know it is only a wip and I am surely not dying for not being able to use it , i just pointed it would have been nice if he compiled a .cia just to try it out, and if he doesn't answer me i will understand my self he isn't going to do it , so please do not start pointless polemics

20. TurtleP
    OP

TurtleP GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2015
    United States
    So there's a thing called 'updates' which are useful for others to know about how something's going. Here's one of those:
    https://streamable.com/w0qt
    This is the loading screen for . . reasons that I need to say: thread to load the bgm so it takes hardly any time to load, cache json data (making application classes so you can download/install/view them), and just for being fancy.

VideahGams, Drakia and XavyrrVaati like this.