ROM Hack [WIP] Final Fantasy (eShop) Translation.

windmill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update. If this is true, a metric fuckload of work is coming up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_252.png
    Screenshot_252.png
    30.8 KB · Views: 62

SkyPioneer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update. If this is true, a metric fuckload of work is coming up.
Hey bro! Just wanna say that if you did figure out how it works, it would open up the door to other translation projects too. And I would definitely play this one if it were available! Good luck and all the best, and take breaks if you need. The homebrew scene is built on the backs of projects like these.

windmill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey bro! Just wanna say that if you did figure out how it works, it would open up the door to other translation projects too. And I would definitely play this one if it were available! Good luck and all the best, and take breaks if you need. The homebrew scene is built on the backs of projects like these.
This is... The only game known to use this type of DPK file. So it'd only help this one in particular.

Also, I am at a complete impass here. I need some help to actually make sense of the internals, and possibly make a tool that can edit these. The Kuriimu Team was of great help with the DPK Unpacking and Repacking, but I highly doubt they will assist further for several months, considering my lone issue has not been touched in atleast 5 months.

Lv44ES_Burner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well you've still MADE progress, as far as I'm concerned, and this project concerns me greatly; I'd been waiting for a translation of this port of the 20th Anniversary Edition from the PSP for a long while, and any news is good news.

The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, after all; however you manage to fix the problem, I know it'll all be worth it in the end. Good luck on further progress!

windmill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A repacked DPK file currently crashes on real hardware. No more progress can be made until this is fixed.
This seems to be false now. My current theory is that altering the PCK files within the DPK actually causes the crash. This was tested altering JOB_NORMAL.pck, replacing the fighter with Firion from FF2 PSP. This always crashed when getting into a battle with a Fighter in the party. It seems something with the PCK files isn't playing around properly, or the files aren't being read properly.

In other news, the CTRPluginFramework will always crash the game when attempting to Display Loaded Files, Write Loaded Files or a log, or view the memory values, always ending with an Arm11 crash, so no live file viewing to see what textbox is what. Damn shame.

windmill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DPK Repacking no longer crashes on the latest build of Kuriimu2. To show this off, I imported Firion from Final Fantasy 2 (PSP) into the game, without using Citra's custom textures. Now comes the issues with getting this crap translated, as we can now successfully alter the contents of the DPK

2021-12-20_12-53-45.269_top.png

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Do you need help with that? i don't know japanese and my coding skills are crap by this forum standards, but perhaps there's something to be done, even if just testing

windmill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you need help with that? i don't know japanese and my coding skills are crap by this forum standards, but perhaps there's something to be done, even if just testing
This game uses an odd system of placing Characters (Letters or Japanese Characters) onto a CTPK file, then reading the positional data via the FIF File. The FIF then tells the MSG file where the characters are, to then display the message via the MSG file. Once some sorta editor is made for this process, we just need a script dump of PSP FF1, since they are identical, and to experiement and see what dialogue is what.

This was found out and posted before infact. Now that the Kuriimu Team has the files and such finished, I think we'll be on our own unless something relating to the DPK/PCK files stops working.

If wanted, I'll make a Discord or something, and get members from the communities I've worked with in getting this to work. I doubt OP is even active on GBATemp anymore, and it'd help to have a new thread or something, i suppose lol

Reactions: ThePokemontrainer

windmill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
tbh if the text overflows the box is not a dealbreaker, as long as everything is translated... which is amazing, and infuriating, why didn't they release it!?
this is the same company that made the Pixel Remasters. They were so lazy they didnt even release it internationally because they'd need an intern to spend 20 minutes working on it

Reactions: FateForWindows

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
this is the same company that made the Pixel Remasters. They were so lazy they didnt even release it internationally because they'd need an intern to spend 20 minutes working on it
i would hardly call it lazy, just stupid. spend a few hundreds on a team of 2 guys to get it done. Release it internationally and earn worst case scenario a hundred K or so i assume? it's final fantasy...
looking foward to this!

windmill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would hardly call it lazy, just stupid. spend a few hundreds on a team of 2 guys to get it done. Release it internationally and earn worst case scenario a hundred K or so i assume? it's final fantasy...
looking foward to this!
literally just teach an intern on how to use the tools and its done in twenty minutes, as i said. Square is just the laziest company possible with final fantasy

Reactions: FateForWindows

Lv44ES_Burner

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a few weeks; has any forward progress in understanding how the English files can be properly offset or rescaled come about? I figure time's been spent on other things during the holidays, but I'm asking just to cover the bases.

windmill

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's been a few weeks; has any forward progress in understanding how the English files can be properly offset or rescaled come about? I figure time's been spent on other things during the holidays, but I'm asking just to cover the bases.
i cant do much, but Silvris is learning more, albiet they havent posted much about it

Reactions: geoGolem

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 9:02 am here