1. windmill

windmill Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    So you dislike me too? For just wanting a translation? and making a bad mod that adds FF2 characters?
    ok

2. Mirby

Mirby BDFF Hype~ :3

United States
    aww but i've been nothing but supportive of this ;_;

3. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    From what I recall from when I was trying to figure it out, there were 2 bytes in the format that didn't appear to do anything but were crucial, possibly a checksum, did you figure out what those are?

4. windmill

windmill Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Inb4 thats all that stopped this from working

5. WiikeyHacker

WiikeyHacker Natsumi Naga

Japan
    Best of luck to you.

6. geekboy1011

geekboy1011 Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I dislike you all cause there is motivation of sorts again cause your all posting ;)

Idle sarcasm aside, Yes we still have no idea what those bytes do. I have yet to find a point in the code where they are access either. Granted my knowledge of how the 3ds handles ROMfs is minimal which is making the search partially blind. However they just look to be asset IDs Or load order ids more then anything as they are sequential/non random.

upload_2019-8-31_13-28-6.png

This makes me still want to believe that our compressor is doing something that the internal de compressor does not like. Not to mention that the compressor written does not return a 1:1 match on compression results which also makes me think something is wrong there. EG our compressor is doing something theirs did not.
    upload_2019-8-31_13-34-18.png

OG left, Re-compress Right.
    Notice how there are slight differences after the first 8 bytes.
    Thats what we are currently investigating.

Last edited by geekboy1011, Aug 31, 2019
    Vulpes-Vulpeos and tyrantnyx like this.
  7. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape

Netherlands
    romfs is pretty much a read only filesystem for what it's worth. the system mounts the titles romfs when you start the title. files in it can be named anything. dunno if it helps in some form.

8. geekboy1011

Newcomer

United States
    Its more of when debugging in citra I can not find out where in memory it is located so i can set proper read breakpoints on it. I have been having to intercept it code side and the FS loading code is kinda of a spaghetti mess with multiple branching paths. I'm also used to platforms where memory is all in one location and things are just a little easier to parse around :P so the whole dynamic loading of assets is making it just a new experience for me.
    Thank you though that does confirm what I did know about it :)

FateForWindows likes this.
  9. windmill

windmill Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Any update or anything? I'm a bit hyped up rn

10. geekboy1011

Newcomer

United States
    Nothing of note yet, We think the issue is actually an OOM but more to say. That being said someone from the kuriimi group is helping out now and it looks like integration with that is the plan. If we can figure out these crashes.

11. windmill

windmill Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Ah, I was gonna see if I could use Kuriimu at all to mess with the files. Good idea.

12. geekboy1011

Newcomer

United States
    I meant that more of I am working with a Kuriimu dev to get support added as we figure out the problems! So nothing in there yet :)

13. wurstpistole

wurstpistole GBAtemp MVP

United Kingdom
    It's been 3,5 years now and you made zero progress. Why is this thread still going on?

CallmeBerto likes this.
  14. Mirby

Mirby BDFF Hype~ :3

United States
    Because progress takes a while sometimes and they're still trying different angles to fix the same problem? Why's it a problem if the thread is still ongoing?

tyrantnyx and Vulpes-Vulpeos like this.
  15. RedL

RedL GBAtemp Regular

France
    Haven't seen you made more progress.

16. wurstpistole

wurstpistole GBAtemp MVP

United Kingdom
    oof
    wrote two tutorials for 3ds and switch hacking in that time
    that's more contribution in my eyes

17. geekboy1011

Newcomer

United States
    Get a life, Some of us just do not have all the time in the world.
    Since starting on this project, I have gotten married, got a new job as an electrical engineer and designed an entire product line for a company from the ground up, Bought a house and have run countless other events and public showcases for other communities i am involved in. So why it this thread still open? Because we are working on it. IF you can do better go start from scratch your self else where and stop derailing the thread.

That aside the kuriimu side of things may get an implementation tomorrow I will keep you all posted. Once thats done we can start documenting the text format and working on replacing it. It is to be determined if the format supports variable width fonts as of the moment, but once we can start making edits with out constant crashes we can find out.

k1r92, abra222, RedL and 2 others like this.
  18. Ev1l0rd

Ev1l0rd (⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape

Netherlands
    If you're so good at this, do it yourself.

Programming is hard, it takes time and this is all volunteer work. If you're not skilled enough to do it yourself, then don't bitch about it or give people actual money to do it, then you have a right to complain about time.

RedL and Mirby like this.
  19. geekboy1011

Newcomer

United States
    So lets get back on topic.
    Good news!
    Over the last few days @onepiecefreak over in the kuriimu group put together a plugin to change assets and no more crashes! Hopefully we do not run into them anymore but for now it seems to be crisis averted.

The not sure what to make of it news.
    It has brought back to lite that this is a really crappy port. It has all the English text and assets already done and baked into the rom with just seemingly no way to access them at runtime The plan is to look into this a little more before going forward dissecting the text formats completely.

So again thanks to @onepiecefreak for reaching out and helping get this back on track!!

Vulpes-Vulpeos and Ev1l0rd like this.
  20. onepiecefreak

onepiecefreak Kuriimu 2 Developer

Germany
    It was an interesting experience for sure. I liked it. Good luck with the ongoing project.

RedL and Mirby like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Translation, Fantasy, (eShop)