[WIP] Dragon Quest VIII (8) "Restoration" Project

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by DarkSynopsis, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    Impossible due to lack of tools, essentially the PS2 model is in a completely different format and we have no way to insert/rig custom models for DQ8. This mod was done by editing the default 3DS models (and textures) WITHOUT altering the vert count.

JoeStronger likes this.
  2. JoeStronger

JoeStronger Newbie

Newcomer
    May 28, 2019
    United States
    Good to know, that means I can get to work.

Thank you for telling me this and not shooting me down, man.

3. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    You're welcome, no worries.

JoeStronger likes this.
  4. PkmnTrainerElio

PkmnTrainerElio Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2019
    Australia
    Hope World and RKive
    I have been wanting to use the Dragon Quest 8 and Dragon Quest 7 models for quite some time, but, I have run into quite a few problems...

I'll talk about the problems with the Dragon Quest 8 models for now.

Anyone else know where the extra facial textures for the models are (closed eyes, open mouth, etc)? I've been looking for them for a while now and found nothing, except for a bunch of .xbb files which I think could contain the textures. Also, in Ohana3DS and when exported, the Dragon Quest VIII models' clothing texture goes all funny.
    Screenshot 2019-06-29 02.46.45. Screenshot 2019-06-29 02.46.53. Screenshot 2019-06-29 02.48.31. Screenshot 2019-06-29 02.50.37. Screenshot 2019-06-29 02.51.04. Screenshot 2019-06-29 02.51.18.

If anyone is curious as to know where I want to use these models, I want to use them in MMD (MikuMikuDance).

Last edited by PkmnTrainerElio, Jun 28, 2019
  5. Canzah

Canzah GBAtemp Fan

Jul 8, 2012
    Poland
    The facial expressions are all textures, not actual model animations so you just need to look through the textures for them.
    As for the "funny" texture, that's because the model is two-faced, meaning that different parts of the texture are applied on both sides of the model, you need to sort viewing two-faced meshes in whatever 3D software you're using.

Last edited by Canzah, Jun 28, 2019
    DarkSynopsis and PkmnTrainerElio like this.
  6. PkmnTrainerElio

PkmnTrainerElio Member

Newcomer
    Feb 23, 2019
    Australia
    Hope World and RKive
    Tried looking for the extra textures and found nothing except for .xbb files.

7. KooPako

KooPako GBAtemp Regular

Apr 30, 2012
    United States
    Are you able to restore the party's super high tension mode/models from ps2? ( "Super sayian" 8 etc )

It's so weird that THIS of all things got axed, SE doesn't get at all Level-5's stylistic choices
    They even prevented DQ11 from getting cool pep up designs too

8. Subzero100

Subzero100 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    United States
    This has already been done, and all u need to do is download the rom.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted