ROM Hack [WIP] Dragon Quest VIII (8) "Restoration" Project

Konekogirl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Going to try it but I was playing the US verison just fine.
ya I uninstalled and and used the US one its fine apparently the cia I had was corrupt, I had this happen with bad CIA files.
I need to find a good EU version. thats my problem. test came up clean.

ClockSmasher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. Got an "uncensored + orchestra" version from that 3DS website, been playing it long before seeing this thread. Unfortunately, it looks like Jessica's bunny girl outfit didn't get fixed, so I'm wondering if that "version" of the game was patched wrong. Does the US version have the European 'u's in words like 'flavour' or 'colour'?

AyanamiRei

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. Got an "uncensored + orchestra" version from that 3DS website, been playing it long before seeing this thread. Unfortunately, it looks like Jessica's bunny girl outfit didn't get fixed, so I'm wondering if that "version" of the game was patched wrong. Does the US version have the European 'u's in words like 'flavour' or 'colour'?
Using the patch patch on my own european cartridge, the unny outift is censored too.

shadowlinkos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone. I want to install the Dragon quest 8 uncensored patch, as well as installing the orchestral soundtrack from PS2 on my CFW 3ds. However I do want to keep english voices. I have a few questions.

1. Which file should I be using to uncensor and get the orchestral soundtrack, but keep english voices?
2. How do I install this on to my 3ds? I've got Luma, FBI, NTR and all that jazz, but I'm not sure on the step to step to install and use it.
3. Can I use this with my NA cart version of Dragon Quest VIII? Or do I have to dump it into a CIA?
4. How can I make sure it won't mess with my current save?

Any help would be appreciated!

Reactions: Nutez

linkaegar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has anyone figured out how to install this using Luma's built-in game patching with the USA cartridge? Been trying for hours and still can't seem to figure it out. Thanks!

Grexios

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For some reason when I put the mod folder into the Luma save file, I succeed in changing the skin of Jessica but when I try to turn on cheats using Luma the game crashes. I can either play with the altered skins or I can play with cheats but I can't do both and I can't toggle the skin change so I have to edit the file if I want it one way or another. Does anyone know a solid way to work around this? PS: I'm using the US version of the game, I've got NTR 3.6, CFW, and Luma. I tried doing what some comment recommended and putting one of the folders in the root but that method never worked in changing the skins for me whilst the Luma method did work.

anaxgorous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
carts are Read Only Memory. You cannot write anything to a physical cart of dq8
then how can I install this file to dq8? i'm sorry cause i'm a total stranger to these kind of things but i wanna install this and play it. is everyone here using the rom to play the game?

anaxgorous

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
after I successfully mod my 3DS with homebrew and stuff and installed my game cartridge of dragon quest 8 into my sd card, I just need to replace those files and I'm good to go?

gapwanderer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
you won't need to install the game if you're using a physical cart. Other than that you just need game patching turned on with the files in the correct place

Ronanklan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did anyone else notice that inside that zip folder under the downloads section.. Well inside is the dq8res folder that they even say goes right on the root of your sd card.. But inside the plugin folder i noticed there were 2 more folders that were named with what appeared to be Title ID #s.. Anyways the bottom one is the correct Title ID for the USA version of DQ8 HOWEVER, it's OFF by 1 digit... They have the folder named 000400000018F200 However the USA Title ID is 000400000018F100!

Just curious if anyone else noticed this? Was this a mistake? Was this intentional? Do the #s in the names of the folders even correspond to anything? You know, like when installing a Cheat plugin.. Where you would use the Title ID...

Also got me thinking maybe i should rename that 1 folder and put in the correct digit for the USA Title ID and hey maybe it will work on a USA cia copy of the game like i have...

The #s are just so friggin close to the same.. And i do not believe in coincidence..

Can anyone CONFIRM my suspicions?

Last edited by Ronanklan,

DarkSynopsis

OP
Trophies
Website
ninjasfate.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
did anyone else notice that inside that zip folder under the downloads section.. Well inside is the dq8res folder that they even say goes right on the root of your sd card.. But inside the plugin folder i noticed there were 2 more folders that were named with what appeared to be Title ID #s.. Anyways the bottom one is the correct Title ID for the USA version of DQ8 HOWEVER, it's OFF by 1 digit... They have the folder named 000400000018F200 However the USA Title ID is 000400000018F100!

Just curious if anyone else noticed this? Was this a mistake? Was this intentional? Do the #s in the names of the folders even correspond to anything? You know, like when installing a Cheat plugin.. Where you would use the Title ID...

Also got me thinking maybe i should rename that 1 folder and put in the correct digit for the USA Title ID and hey maybe it will work on a USA cia copy of the game like i have...

The #s are just so friggin close to the same.. And i do not believe in coincidence..

Can anyone CONFIRM my suspicions?

Been awhile since I looked at the zip, I guess I never got around to putting the USA version in there, "000400000018F200" is the EU version, normally other regions are a single digit difference if they release the same time, the reason there is no USA version is I would have required its code.bin to make the NTR plugin, now with LayeredFS built into Luma that should be the route to go, I should really update the zip for this.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-dragon-quest-viii-8-restoration-project.451932/page-20#post-7434815 check this post.

Last edited by DarkSynopsis,

Ronanklan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been awhile since I looked at the zip, I guess I never got around to putting the USA version in there, "000400000018F200" is the EU version, normally other regions are a single digit difference if they release the same time, the reason there is no USA version is I would have required its code.bin to make the NTR plugin, now with LayeredFS built into Luma that should be the route to go, I should really update the zip for this.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/wip-dragon-quest-viii-8-restoration-project.451932/page-20#post-7434815 check this post.

Oh ok cool... So that's why! Thanks so much for clearing that up!

Also I got an NTR plugin to work by taking a European version and just changing the title ID to the USA version's and it worked for my USA version. Will I mean it worked through bootntr selector, the plug in that is... Pretty cool huh?

Last edited by Ronanklan,

Aiz2019

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I try the method that was suggested by topic creator . All of the costumes seems okay but only bunny outfit still the same

JoeStronger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is some great stuff. Kudos to you all for the effort in undertaking it.

Now what I'm about to put forward isn't a complaint or an attack, just a question. I recently ripped the Super High Tension model from the US PS2 version of Dragon Quest, and I've been trying to recreate it to the specifications of the 3DS version. I've already gone through the thread, and I know for a fact that someone already said that "it's impossible to insert a fully customized model to the 3DS version".

I'm not going to ask any of you to do this, but as long as it's possible someday, I can keep working at importing the US SHT model, to truly recreate the North American version, or at least add one more element to recreate the experience. Even if I have to make such a tool. So what I'd like to know is if it's truly impossible, or simply impossible with the tools that currently exist to us, and a tool just hasn't been made yet? If it is "truly, technically impossible no matter what tool you make", then I'll accept that and just give up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRjqI-fBVI&pp=ygUPVml0Z2luIG1hZ2ljaWFu