Homebrew [WIP/DEMO] 3DOS - 8086(DOS) emulator for the 3DS

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NOTE: This emulator is based off of 8086tiny, all I've done is make it run on a 3DS. If you want to see the source code, go there because it's the same besides about 10-15 lines of code. :P

So, I've decided to put out my latest project: "3DOS", a port of 8086tiny to the 3DS.

It's "functional", but it doesn't have input support(*should* be fairly easy to do) and only supports text mode(which is strange at times due to the terminal output for the 3DS/ctrulib not having "ANSI escape?", which I think 8086tiny uses for some printing. If anyone knows how to convert this to just ASCII or whatever, let me know :P), but graphics are supported using SDL, so it shouldn't be too hard make that work.

I've attached a copy of the emulator, along with the bios file for it and a copy of freeDOS, which will make it to the command prompt, but you can't input anything.

ioBWxMg.jpg

Attachments

• 3DOS.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,537

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol thanks!

Also, I figured I should mention: Try out different disk images, and let me know if they boot or not. I *might* make a tutorial later about how to make one, but for now, google is your friend :P
Haha you're welcome! I've never used 8086tiny (DOSBOX user), so I'll have to look into it when I have more free time. :P I will be EXTREMELY happy to be able to play Out of This World after 3DOS has some time worked on!

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha you're welcome! I've never used 8086tiny (DOSBOX user), so I'll have to look into it when I have more free time. :P I will be EXTREMELY happy to be able to play Out of This World after 3DOS has some time worked on!

Cool! I'm actually probably gonna work on the input now, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Also, a "disk image" is the fd.img supplied in the zip. :D

Reactions: Selim873

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool! I'm actually probably gonna work on the input now, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Also, a "disk image" is the fd.img supplied in the zip. :D
Alrighty! Well, MS-DOS 6.22 is going to be tested. Also, when you get input working, do you think you could have it mount a C: drive in a folder at the root of the SD card by chance at startup by default? So maybe whenever someone starts 3DOS, the C: drive will be in SD://3DOS/ I'm planning on attempting to install Windows 3.1, or at least run the installer, for the giggles. :P

EDIT: MS-DOS boots! Gives an XMS driver error, but it boots. :P

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alrighty! Well, MS-DOS 6.22 is going to be tested. Also, when you get input working, do you think you could have it mount a C: drive in a folder at the root of the SD card by chance at startup by default? So maybe whenever someone starts 3DOS, the C: drive will be in SD://3DOS/ I'm planning on attempting to install Windows 3.1, or at least run the installer, for the giggles. :P

Cool! Also, sadly, due to how 8086Tiny works, there is no way to "mount", everything is a disk image. I could make a 3DS folder to .img converter, which it will load by default.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

EDIT: MS-DOS boots! Gives an XMS driver error, but it boots. :P

Nice! Also, testing the first version of input right now!

shutterbug2000

Cubic NINJHAX!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, input is somewhat working! Currently, directions on the Dpad can be pressed, up = d, right = i, down = r, and start = enter. So, by pressing up, right, down, start, the directory listing is displayed. I'll have a video of this up later, as well as a .3DSX, but for now, take this image, I'm going to sleep :P:
pikX29c.jpg

Reactions: Selim873

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.