Homebrew [WIP] ButtonSwap3DS - Remap buttons on your 3DS

Tenesmus

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey. Trying to play GBA games one-handed so looked through the thread twice but couldn't find the swap I was looking for.
Would anyone do a L=A, DpadUp=B, DpadRight=X, DpadLeft=Y swap for me please?

SirKyogre

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
somebody give me one that changes L with "left DPAD button" also btw can I get my normal controls back after that?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

change my L button with right dpad button any1

Phoenix1452

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hey would anybody be able to post like a video on how to remap the keys because im just getting into modding and im finding the instructions a bit confusing

KoalaBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Could someone do a version where Left D-PAD acts as L and Right D-PAD acts as R? Both of my shoulder buttons are broken :sad:

Also, a MODE 3 version would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by KoalaBoy,

AmberLoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Alright, I finally got it to work! I'm ok with making everyone's swappings, so just reply to the thread if you need one. I'll try to make every request already made here, but if I missed someone (or got a request wrong), just post again so I can see it! (I know most requests aren't needed anymore but this is for the poor souls who get here from Google)

When making requests, please word them clearly so they aren't misunderstood. The clearer you are, the better your chances of being understood! It would be perfect if you posted in this format:
X PRESSES Y
Y PRESSES X
L+A PRESSES R

I'm naming swaps as {button you press} > {button the console thinks you pressed}.

Attachments

• Krakemannen.zip
    698 KB · Views: 237
  • Brongus+AlmostBadKoala.zip
    698 KB · Views: 218
  • Team-Embrace.zip
    697.9 KB · Views: 183
  • NanashiFinal13.zip
    697.7 KB · Views: 185
  • Surreal_NooB.zip
    697.7 KB · Views: 223
  • Atomic_Winter.zip
    697.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Tenesmus.zip
    698 KB · Views: 187
  • SirKyogre_Left.zip
    697.7 KB · Views: 212
  • SirKyogre_Right.zip
    697.7 KB · Views: 203
  • UIShaggy.zip
    697.9 KB · Views: 224
  • SurpriseTridoron.zip
    697.7 KB · Views: 219
  • ip60.zip
    697.9 KB · Views: 204

KoalaBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Alright, I finally got it to work! I'm ok with making everyone's swappings, so just reply to the thread if you need one. I'll try to make every request already made here, but if I missed someone (or got a request wrong), just post again so I can see it! (I know most requests aren't needed anymore but this is for the poor souls who get here from Google)

When making requests, please word them clearly so they aren't misunderstood. The clearer you are, the better your chances of being understood! It would be perfect if you posted in this format:

I'm naming swaps as {button you press} > {button the console thinks you pressed}.

Many thanks! Also, sorry for the late reply. I tested it and it works wonders :grog:

Vetchems

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Might be asking a bit too much here but... Would it be possible to get an A<>B and X<>Y and Select > L+R+Start+Select swap for pokemon USUM please?

Last edited by Vetchems,

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Anyone can help me with this?
I need to swap the dpad with the circle pad.
And a way to return to default.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@AmberLoss

aos10

Yuuki chan
Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Yep! There was one done before, but I built a new one with the new codebase.

@flagpole343, I noticed a mistake in the version I made for you. If you download it again it should work properly.
i've tried this, however it seems it make the dpad act like circle pad, and the circle pad stays like circle pad, anyway to reverse the buttons?

AmberLoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
would it be possible to use this to turn off touch screen input?
I don't think it's possible, but I'm not sure. Either way, it would be way outside my skill range, sorry.

i've tried this, however it seems it make the dpad act like circle pad, and the circle pad stays like circle pad, anyway to reverse the buttons?
Sorry but it's not possible at the moment, right now we can't change what the circle pad does
Anyone can help me with this?
I need to swap the dpad with the circle pad.
And a way to return to default.

HOW DO YOU UNDO THE A B SWAP!!?!?!?!? PLEASE RESPOND URGENT
To undo the swap and return to default, reboot your 3DS

Hi, Might be asking a bit too much here but... Would it be possible to get an A<>B and X<>Y and Select > L+R+Start+Select swap for pokemon USUM please?
I'm so sorry, I missed your second message! When playing Pokemon USUM, remember to use the mode3 swap.

Attachments

• Vetchems.zip
    698.2 KB · Views: 184
Reactions: mrissaoussama

chaos blast

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Egypt
I would like this as well. to use circle pad as camera in monster hunter and move my character with d pad. for o3ds if possible.

Morning_Coffee

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seeing as this thread is somewhat still active, would it be too much to ask for a simple button swap for Y -> Select? It'd make soft resetting very easy in Crystal if I can just press A+B+X+Y rather than having to press Select every time

raspberrypie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this thread is still dead and all but is it possible to completely disable a button from pressing in this? My L button is broken(keeps on pressing even though i'm not pressing it at all) and I don't want to open my 3ds just to fix it. If so, I'd like to ask someone to disable L and use the Select button as L (since Select is rarely used.) I'd really appreciate if someone does this.

Last edited by raspberrypie,

Demnyx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everyone
If pros are still there i have some requests :
1st file = Dpad becomes Cpad / L+A > Dpad Right / L+B >Dpad Down / L+X > Dpad Up / L+Y > Dpad Left
2nd file = L+Dpad becomes Cpad (I mean for example pressing L+Dpad left will act as Cpad left)

Thanks in advance to the person that will make these.

Last edited by Demnyx,

AmberLoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Sorry for the wait, my computer was acting up but now it fixed itself somehow! Seriously, I have no idea why it's working now.

@Morning_Coffee Suuuper sorry for the wait! A Y->Select means there's no button to press "Y" anymore, is that ok? I've made the build but if you want to have a Y<>Select just ask again, I promise it won't take so long this time!

@raspberrypie Congrats, you're the second person I know of who'll use ButtonSwap to disable a button! Please come back if anything goes wrong (but I doubt it will)

@Demnyx The problem with those two files is that their icons and banners are identical, so it'll be hard to tell them apart. But changing the icon etc is no problem at all for me, so if you want them changed, just give me the images (256x128 banners, 48x48 icons) and I can do it in less than a minute.

Attachments

• Morning_Coffee.zip
    697.7 KB · Views: 175
  • raspberrypie.zip
    697.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Demnyx-1st.zip
    697.5 KB · Views: 159
  • Demnyx-2nd.zip
    697.6 KB · Views: 185

Demnyx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thank you very much AmberLoss. I really appreciate your help !
Don't worry for the icons it is not a problem
I'm going to test it ASAP

EDIT: Both work perfectly thanks again

But i also want one that makes the same things as my 1st request but this time it'll be R+A>Dpad Right... etc instead of L
Could you make it please?

Last edited by Demnyx,

AmberLoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Alright, now that we’re on a new page, I’d like to add some things that (hopefully) will make it easier for new people to get to the information they need without having to read all 14 pages. For now it's just a FAQ and a request masterlist, but I also plan to make an optional request template (to eliminate confusion) and a list of common errors when setting up the build environment (closest thing we'll ever get to a guide)

If a developer could make ButtonSwap3DS work again with mode3 games, that would be really nice! It was reported on October 3rd, but might have stopped working even months before that.

FAQ
If you ask a question that's answered in the FAQ, chances are your post is going to be ignored.

Any news on…
This FAQ is up-to-date, so read it before asking if something already works.

Are there any buttons that don't work with ButtonSwap?
YES. The C-pad is only partially supported (any button can pretend they're the C-pad, but the original C-pad can't be modified), ZL/ZR aren't supported at all (unless a new dev drops out of the sky), and the Home and Power buttons are impossible to remap. Not supported means no one can do anything with it which means no.

I need help setting up my build environment!
Sadly I can't make a guide, because I have no idea how I got mine to work. But if you post the issue you're having, I can try to help! (remember to tell me what OS you're on) You can also give up on it and request a build from me or whoever else wants to help!

My build environment is set up, but now I'm lost!
I strongly recommend using @danger229's ButtonSwap3dsMaker, it's very user-friendly and will help you modify all the files you have to. (You need to have ButtonSwap's build environment set up for it to work, though, so it's not a workaround.)

I've got the CIA file, now what?
You need to transfer your file to your 3DS and install the CIA. Many apps can help you with that, the most famous being FBI. Once it's installed, just run the app when you want to use the mappings.

How do I reset the swap?
Reboot your 3DS and everything will be back to normal.

Can a button be disabled?
Yes it can! Just map r5 as 0x0 if you're doing the mapping yourself.

The screen says something about NTR-mode3, what does that mean?
If you don't know what it is, you're not using NTR-mode3 and just need to press START.

What is mode3? / ButtonSwap isn't working with some games!
Mode3 is another word for the extended memory mode that O3DS has. If a game makes your 3DS' screen go black once you exit it, you're probably playing a mode3 game. They're not compatible with most things, so when you play an extended memory game, you'll have to use the mode3 version of ButtonSwap. At all other times, you'll need the normal version of ButtonSwap. ButtonSwap currently does not work with mode3 games, and sadly there are no devs around to fix it. (N3DS players don't have to worry about all that, they don't have an extended memory mode)

I want to switch different mappings, is that possible?
You'll need to have two (or more) different ButtonSwap apps, and you'll need to reboot your 3DS every time you want to switch between them. But yes, it's possible! Just tell the person doing your mappings that you want to do that. If you're the one doing them, remember to make sure your different mappings' UniqueIds are different (edit meta/cia.rsf and meta/cia_mode3.rsf).

Can we have this new feature that I've just thought of?
There currently are no devs working on ButtonSwap, so not unless you (or someone you convince) do it.

I'm in the middle of homebrewing and…
You can try to use ButtonSwap during the process but it probably won't work, sorry.

Do I need anything on my 3DS for ButtonSwap to work?
Not really. All you need is a way to get the .cia file into your 3DS, and a way to install CIA files. If you have FBI, you already have both.

Can I have another way of installing this, like a .3dsx file?
Impossible, sorry. It has to be a .cia file.

Does this work with VC or DS games?
It works with VC games (NES, GB, SNES etc.), it doesn't work with GBA and DS/i games since they reboot the console on a different mode. (Thanks @Feffe for the info!)

Request Masterlist
Some older files may have strange issues, it's completely fine to request them again. Quick terminology: A > B means that, when you press A, your 3DS will think you've pressed B. This doesn't affect the actual B button. A <> B means that pressing A presses B, and pressing B presses A. A+B > X means that when you press both A and B at the same time, your 3DS will think you've pressed X. | is just a separator between different mappings in the same file.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019

@Demnyx there you go!

Attachments

• Demnyx-3rd.zip
    697.6 KB · Views: 226
Last edited by AmberLoss,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you try wearing them?