TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well yea but i know tons of people who bug me about giving them new stuff, and it would be great the more stuff it has, like maybe gridlauncher updater and the retroarch emulators
Yeah, those can be added. I was going to add retroarch from their nightly builds (their 7z files have proper dir structure for BrewMan), but there are just way too many. Will probably be better to manually split them up so people can just choose ones they want install of just installing 30 emulators in one go.

TheCruel

Developer
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah it would be helpful if they made a permalink to the latest nightly, it would be easier then.
Would still need to update the config file in the repo. It has a checksum, to both verify the file downloaded properly and check that it was not modified after the PR bot verifies it. Otherwise people could just modify a archive file after commiting the url to the repo, which could lead to many bad things.

Reactions: thatbooisaspy

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, those can be added. I was going to add retroarch from their nightly builds (their 7z files have proper dir structure for BrewMan), but there are just way too many. Will probably be better to manually split them up so people can just choose ones they want install of just installing 30 emulators in one go.
that's what i meant

AileenLumina

Python main, software engineer and API designer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
No. The only guide for devs I'll have is on how to add/update their apps in the repo. The download process won't be any more complicated than that. The config file is pretty straight forward, but the installer is a bit strict on where devs can put files. I even have a github PR bot that will perform verification on files people attempt to put them on the repo. This verification is also a stand-alone python script that devs can use on their config file to make sure it's good. This is necessary to avoid people doing weird or malicious things like: changing their file archive after it's in the repo (it performs a checksum on it) or putting files in the archive to install outside their game directory to contaminate other game directories. If any games need files installed outside the game directory, it won't be able to be whitelisted and I (or another person with repo control) will have to manually check it.

So I'm giving devs ability to control the repo ideally without breaking stuff. You can imagine how it could screw up everyone if someone did something like upload a game icon with 100MB padded data just so that everyone syncing the repo would have to download it, or something else that could crash the app.

Before release, I will have to implement auto-updating. So I'll have a separate repo that the app checks to update itself first. That way if anything ever goes terribly wrong with the general app repo, I could even just purge it and update the app at launch to use a backup repo or something. I don't plan on anything going wrong lol, but I coded stuff to help prevent it.

Though I did have thoughts on turning this into a homebrew launcher replacement. Then people could boot homebrew directly with it and it could fetch app updates in the background and inform you if there are new apps or updates to existing ones, much like other mobile OSs.
If only @smealum would colab with you, that'd be great.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM