Homebrew [WIP] 3ds-vgmstream new audio player (port of vgmstream)

TricksterGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3ds-vgmstream
v0.1.2
by TricksterGuy
About
This is a port of the vgmstream library for the 3ds. vgmstream is a library for playing a wide variety of streamed audio formats used in video games. As of now this app has a textual interface, though I may plan a better interface and more playback features later.

Usage
see download link below.
  1. Copy the files in the archive to your sd card.
  2. Place any music files you want (see tested formats) in the music folder on the root of the sd card.
When you open the app in homebrew launcher you will be presented to a lame textual interface where you can select your music using UP and DOWN.

Press A to play the selected file.
Once it is playing press B to stop it and then you can choose a different file to play.
Press START to exit the app.

Tested filetypes
To see complete status for support of file types see this. If the file format is not listed there then vgmstream does not support it.

Note that while vgmstream itself does support a heck of a lot of file types (see above link) Tweaks to the library may have to be made to get it to play on the 3ds.

If you find a format that doesn't work (known list here) I would like for you to report it here

Roadmap
For now I would like to get all of the formats working. If you have a feature request you can add it here. I will address such feature requests in my own free time however (best effort).

Other
Well I wrote this just for fun as an experiment cross compiling things for the 3ds. I was surprised when I finally got it working, after a few more headaches trying to get vgmstream to load a file off the sd card from the 3ds.

I'm also not really a sound programmer, but I did have previous experience updating the plugin for audacious (a cross platform music player similar to winamp) for vgmstream.

Links
github: https://github.com/TricksterGuy/3ds-vgmstream
download: https://github.com/TricksterGuy/3ds-vgmstream/releases

Last edited by TricksterGuy,

ihaveahax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just tried a bcstm I took from Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright romfs and it seems to work for the most part :D there's some popping and stuff but good so far.

one thing I've noticed is that, if I add more songs to the folder than will fit on screen, then my selection won't be shown on the screen if it's at the top.
scr_22_TOP_LEFT.png

TricksterGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Could you do a .CIA build?

Sure I see instructions on the wiki, I'll provide one by the end of the weekend if its not too bad of a process.

just tried a bcstm I took from Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright romfs and it seems to work for the most part :D there's some popping and stuff but good so far.

Great I'll add that to the list

one thing I've noticed is that, if I add more songs to the folder than will fit on screen, then my selection won't be shown on the screen if it's at the top. View attachment 37688

homer_doh.thumbnail.jpg

Lets see if I can quick fix this before I retire for the night. If not I'll have it fixed this afternoon.

Reactions: ihaveahax

SLiV3R

3DS Friend Code: 0473-9069-2206
Trophies
Website
soundcloud.com
XP
Country
I have been waiting for something like this. Some formats I would like to see support for:

Nsf
Sid
Mod
Xm

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

None of my favourite formats seems to be supported :(

This is very cool anyway! :)

Reactions: TinchoX

TricksterGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

one thing I've noticed is that, if I add more songs to the folder than will fit on screen, then my selection won't be shown on the screen if it's at the top. View attachment 37688

Update stayed up much longer than I should have now, but fixed a number of amateur issues that snuck itself into the code...

Looks interesting, keep it up :) If you're getting popping in playback you might be better off trying dsp instead of csnd.

Yeah my hearing is probably bad I hear no popping on anything I play

though I am testing on a new 3ds. I should test it with my original 3ds.

I have been waiting for something like this. Some formats I would like to see support for:

Nsf
Sid
Mod
Xm

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Here is my stance on file formats for now.

if your file type doesn't appear in https://github.com/kode54/vgmstream then its beyond the scope of my project for now.

After I support all of the ones vgmstream uses. I may look into others no promises.

Oh this is neat. I'll have to nab this and give it a try.

Thanks, be sure to grab the newly updated 0.1.1 version which I uploaded moments ago.

It would be great if this homebrew could read the files directly from romfs.

By this do you mean the romfs files exacted via braindump?

If you provide a pointer to documentation on reading from romfs I may look into it later, though no promises. Still pretty fresh with all of this stuff!

Anyway I am going to bed now, I have work in the morning and its already 2:30am.
Any new issues or new file formats found to be working will be updated this afternoon.

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
By this do you mean the romfs files exacted via braindump?

If you provide a pointer to documentation on reading from romfs I may look into it later, though no promises. Still pretty fresh with all of this stuff!
I mean that you should be able to stream the music of a game directly from the original game. Last time I checked you couldn't access romfs easily.

TricksterGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean that you should be able to stream the music of a game directly from the original game. Last time I checked you couldn't access romfs easily.

I see. I would like to keep this application simple and just read music files directly from the sd card for now.
Would be a good idea for another app though.

could this work with mca files?

It seems that it is
https://github.com/kode54/vgmstream doesn't have the list of all formats supported on the main page.
But a code search reveals it is supported.

I do not have any music in the format to test which so if it works let me know!

All I have rebuilt the application. It seems I distributed a debug build for v0.1 and v0.1.1
Program is now 60% smaller and should run a little faster

A_Random_Guy

Officially That Dev
Trophies
Website
n3dshack.weebly.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
Tried porting this awesome player to CIA. Crashes after install but after restart it works fine. Nooby at this so it currently have a black icon and no name :P

EDIT: Closing the software also crashes the system. Unless someone can made a better banner and icon and a working RSF. I can probably make newer and working version of the CIA

EDIT 2: Pressing Start to exit works! Use that instead of shutting down the software. Currently finding a way to make the Home Button unresponsive

Attachments

• CIA.7z
    524.3 KB · Views: 194
Last edited by A_Random_Guy,

TricksterGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried porting this awesome player to CIA. Crashes after install but after restart it works fine. Nooby at this so it currently have a black icon and no name :P

EDIT: Closing the software also crashes the system. Unless someone can made a better banner and icon and a working RSF. I can probably make newer and working version of the CIA

Thanks, though I would much prefer a solution that can be integrated in the Makefile as a target, so I can build it the same time I build the 3dsx.

I'm sure something like this would be very convenient for everyone else and I will add the solution to my 3ds-template repo https://github.com/TricksterGuy/3ds-template

I am open to pull requests.

A_Random_Guy

Officially That Dev
Trophies
Website
n3dshack.weebly.com
XP
Country
Malaysia
Thanks, though I would much prefer a solution that can be integrated in the Makefile as a target, so I can build it the same time I build the 3dsx.

I'm sure something like this would be very convenient for everyone else and I will add the solution to my 3ds-template repo https://github.com/TricksterGuy/3ds-template

I am open to pull requests.

The build itself is buggy. Until someone made a better version of the CIA where it doesn't crash, i will remove my link. You could try asking devs that knows how to build CIA files. They could help you :P

TricksterGuy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
could this work with mca files?

After some more research. Yes and No. I played an mca file on my desktop and got a couple that was very static (and my volume was on full blast :/). A couple did sound pretty good, but it wasn't perfect.
So from what I have read and heard, apparently there are different types of files following the mca format and vgmstream doesn't support all of the them.

does this support .mp3?

No it doesn't sorry.

Reminder to anyone who is wonders "does this support X?" there is a list of all formats supported here
If it has not been tested please try it and report to me.

That said I tested samples of all of the file types I could find on my computer and the above link reflects that.

loco365

Trophies
XP
Reminder to anyone who is wonders "does this support X?" there is a list of all formats supported here
If it has not been tested please try it and report to me.

That said I tested samples of all of the file types I could find on my computer and the above link reflects that.
Just so you know, BFWAV == FWAV, just as BRSTM == RSTM. There's probably a few more, but all that's different is the file extension. They're the exact same file format.

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nsf
Sid
Mod
Xm

Here is my stance on file formats for now.

if your file type doesn't appear in https://github.com/kode54/vgmstream then its beyond the scope of my project for now.

After I support all of the ones vgmstream uses. I may look into others no promises.
These formats are sequenced. They would require implementing an emulator to play them, which might be found in something like droidsound-e (cant remember if it's open source). I think this is nice, but seeing some sequenced formats like USF, and 2SF would be awesome, though it'd be quite some work

loco365

Trophies
XP
These formats are sequenced. They would require implementing an emulator to play them, which might be found in something like droidsound-e (cant remember if it's open source). I think this is nice, but seeing some sequenced formats like USF, and 2SF would be awesome, though it'd be quite some work
Droidsound-e is open-sourced, but it uses different libraries for those formats. It'd be nice to have this as a 3DS version of DSE though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    My first color TV was like 1984 or something lol