Homebrew [WIP] 3DeSmume (DS emulator for 3DS)

boringbones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My son recently asked me to buy him a "flashcard" to play original DS games on his 3 DS. Could I show him this instead or is it still not ready to play original DS games yet? He has a Nintendo 3DS, the one without the colored buttons.

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My son recently asked me to buy him a "flashcard" to play original DS games on his 3 DS. Could I show him this instead or is it still not ready to play original DS games yet? He has a Nintendo 3DS, the one without the colored buttons.
It doesn't work good on O3DS yet.

Davidosky99

Eevee :3
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.davidosky99.xyz
XP
Country
just buy him a flashcard!
it's way better and it's not that expensive.
and flashcard are and will always be more reliable.
Remember, what we have here now is a POC meaning it can't replace flashcards yet

Garblant

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I would Just wait until there's a version of this with at least good fps, then show him this.

:hrth:

jackb994

Self-Proclaimed Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just get a flashcard for now. At the moment this emulator can't really play games at a playable state. It also has no sound, so it's probably better to go with a flashcard if you want to get something for your son now.

boringbones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reactions: TheNerdWIzard

Svaethier

Trophies
Website
s6.zetaboards.com
XP
Country
United States
You need more information. Example: 1. 3DSX or CIA build 2. What happens if it does not work 3. Old 3DS or New 3DS 4. Speed
I edited the list with what information I could add, not sure about speeds as all roms that have been tested as working have been said to be laggy right now.

MasterFeizz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The only core that could be ported that I know of is mupen64 and I think pj64 is heavily tied to Windows last I checked.

As for his emulator, even with a new DeSmume core I expect that this will need a lot more work to be considered usable for a lot of games. 2D performance might be good but I really wonder how well the 3DS will handle the overhead. It's certainly interesting and a good learning experience though.

@MasterFeizz I'm looking at citro3d and trying to get a good idea of what best practices for it are. Would you recommend drawing to an off screen buffer first? Does citro3d have a buffer swapping method? I can't find an API documentation.

I may not have time to work on this myself but I'd like to give @shutterbug2000 some guidance where I can.
You always render offscreen, you can't use the gpu to render directly to the framebuffer. I'm not familiar with citro3d, but you just transfer the color buffer to the framebuffer after you're done drawing.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The code is on Github under the 0.9.11 branch.
Also, no exceptions.
I'm on my phone, when I get home I'll take a look.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1