Gaming Winning Eleven 2008: Play Maker (PES 2008)

badabing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
So, why is no-one anticipating this game? Personally, I probably wind up playing this game more frequent and for a longer time then SSBB.
The Japanese version just got released: two verdicts so far, from Famitus 9-8-9-9 & from UKMAG 90%. I read some user reviews, and they absolutly love the game. The new control scheme totally succeeds. Because for us, few PES-players/ Wii owners, that was the main question mark.

I know some people on this board have got the game, anyone willing to give some serious feedback? About the lurning curve and such.. Maybe some video?

Some info from my side:

2 lengthy videos of the game being played on two different difficulty levels
Interview with the creator, very informative

PES2008 Playmaker - General Gameplay/Controls Review

Anyone with me on this one?

badabing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
the 360 version sucked...

The 360 version has nothing to do with this game. Please at least check before you comment. Totally different game. New type of gameplay, control your whole team.

QUOTEThe world's most popular soccer game is back. Winning Eleven Play Maker 2008 builds upon the competitive spirit embodied by its predecessor with some major improvements. WE gamers will discover a more immersive, vivid soccer experience than they've ever played! WE 2008 features new animations, new clubs and leagues and on-line play! Above all else, the new 'TeamVision'. AI system is more intelligent than ever. Hot-shots will have plenty of new moves to show-up their opponents, or get shown-up so tape those ankles!

xRfs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
i really like this game , its good , very good =) , u have to triy it now =)..

sorry but my english its bad and i cant say more xD...

The control its easy =)

J

Jackreyes

Soccer games should come out here (PAL) first.
We have a relatively larger fanbase for soccer (football).

And yeah I'm sort of anticipating this game. Well not really. I'm just anticipating a good soccer game. I hear FIFA sucks.

Lets hope this is as good as it sounds.

badabing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Some new insights, from a gamefaqs importer:

QUOTE said:
As for the keepers - I think they're about the same as in other versions. I've seen them spill a lot of stuff, completely miss crosses, and rush out gung-ho (without me pressing) to completely take out an opposition striker. On the flipside they sometimes make amazing saves.

My impressions in general after a while are much more favourable (as I expected them to be, still finding Smash Brothers **** btw MancunianRattlesnake, kindly stop bumming this game when you haven't played it). The passing works pretty well once you get the hang of it, and the game becomes almost as intuitive as the old Pro Evos. Here's a rundown:

Passing: Very instinctive, my only complaint would be that when you try to play a through ball without manually moving the player towards it beforehand for some reason it often goes very slowly. Fast passing is still possible with the controls.

Shooting: The worst aspect of the game by far - really, really, really bad. Almost ruins it in fact. It's like Fifa - if you get a good player in a half decent position and waggle the nunchuck, 3/4s of the time the ball flies in the top corner. It's really sad and makes build up play pointless a lot of the time, if you're just as likely to score from dead centre of the edge of the area. You also can't aim high or low.

Free kicks: Even worse than the general shooting. You just waggle the nunchuck and hope the computer scores for you. Why they couldn't include a power bar or some sort of aiming type control with the wiimote I do not know.

Defending: Feels much better now that I understand it better. Closing down is still a bit too difficult for my liking (probably to allow the attacking player some time to think) but it works by you clicking on players to mark. So you need to mark up players the opposition wants to pass to. The difficulty in closing down the player in possession or the loose ball makes it look and feel a little unnatural though, but controling the marking aspect is much more fun than I first thought. Slide tackling is very satisfying when times right because it's so difficult. Most online players don't seem to bother so it helps me win a lot.

Headers - a good way to score, but again - very little control over where they go. I also have yet to understand how to do passing headers - if, indeed, you can at all. The whole aerial situation is a bit of a lottery though.

Corners - ok, but moving around doesn't seem to help because you can have a striker surrounded by three defenders and still score.

Dribbling - gets much more natural once you get used to it. Still hard to play a dribbling game, but the controls for this aren't too bad, if a bit weird (having to hold the wiimote in front of your player and click to go fast - the nunchuck only moves him at walking pace).

shredman

Trophies
XP
Country
My 2 cents....

I've found Play Maker to be a very novel way of updating the play mechanics of a classic video game

To tell the truth the PES and FIFA games were all becoming a little stale - new iterations and different
teams (licensed or not) did not in any way bring any real change to the system.

It's certainly got me interested in playing football games again - it was initially frustrating and I found
myself wanting to use the cube controller or go back to Winning Eleven 6 Final Evolution for 'Cube.

But, persevere and you'll find that - it ALMOST becomes a reinvention of the football wheel.

Controlling (accurately) multiple players running in different directions making space - creating holes
in the defence - confusing your friends when playing two player - it really adds so much depth without
losing much control.

However, control is spoilt a little in the shooting department - it can be quite difficult to direct the show correctly
with the right amount of power - a little chip with the wiimote or a clanger of a shot with a violent shake of
the nunchuck...

Its frustrating but immensely rewarding once the brain begins to throw out the old and absorbs the new control

I would give it an 85% score
Just short of classic - but it is a step in the right direction
I wouldn't want to go back to the old method now tho...

Sadly that WE6FE game is going into retirement - its showing its age now tho!
smile.gif

As far as I know the JPN release doen't work on PAL but NTSC-J/USA should work great!
The PAL release is in a few weeks so the Aussies and Europians
wink.gif
should have a ball real soon!

shredman

Trophies
XP
Country
Just a bit of advice for anyone playing the JPN version..

Please play through the training mode
Everyone seems to be asking questions about control when they
obviously have not played through the training mode..

Just about everything can be easily explained via the different
training drills... Defence messes most people up - on defence
just merely pointing at an attacking player and pressing A will
bring pressure on that player from the closest defender.

If you need to then tackle waggle the controls - easy isn't it?!

It seems as though everyone is playing it in some arcade style
blast-a-thon mode. Defending be damned!

PES is not supposed to played that way - you will get slaughtered
by the CPU on the higher difficulty settings - or someone with actual
'skillz' online.

Happy gaming!
smile.gif

badabing

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
shredman said:
Just a bit of advice for anyone playing the JPN version..

Please play through the training mode
Everyone seems to be asking questions about control when they
obviously have not played through the training mode..

Just about everything can be easily explained via the different
training drills... Defence messes most people up - on defence
just merely pointing at an attacking player and pressing A will
bring pressure on that player from the closest defender.

If you need to then tackle waggle the controls - easy isn't it?!

It seems as though everyone is playing it in some arcade style
blast-a-thon mode. Defending be damned!

PES is not supposed to played that way - you will get slaughtered
by the CPU on the higher difficulty settings - or someone with actual
'skillz' online.

Happy gaming!
smile.gif

So.. you likin' the game?
rolleyes.gif

shredman

Trophies
XP
Country
Its fantastic...

I'm enjoying it more the better i get at playmaker!

The depth is really great - the graphics are great -
apart from the crowd animations (very poor!)

Play Maker is a great subtitle for the game
It is really like you make the plays -

It requires a really good understanding of modern
football tactics - how to create and take advantage of
the space thats created and how to react to different
tactics.

Timing the offside call is magic when you pull it off.

I'm just giving it a quick break to test the jpn-eng
arc file for Super Mario Galaxy. My jpn-wii is getting
a great workout - I'm looking forward to not guessing
everytime i enter a new world.

anyway, playmaker is extremely good
*No japanese required!*

smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: Chuck your brain out the window, it's useless, use your head instead