1. Bonny

OP Bonny GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Germany
    I'am interested in running Windows games (modern point n' click & hidden object games, nothing too fancy) on my Android 8.0 Tablet.

I was looking into WINE ( https://www.winehq.org/ ) yesterday, has anyone practical knowledge with this tool/programm? Is it the right choice for what i attemp to achieve? Or is there a better way to run Windows games/programs on Android?

2. jurassicplayer

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

United States
    That sounds like a terrible idea. You are better off streaming your computer screen to your tablet.

yuyuyup likes this.
  3. Bonny

Germany
    You may be right... but i hate it to have my PC running in an other room, just to play a little, while i sit on my couch in the lifing room... i was hoping that a easier stand-alone option is possible...

4. Windi

Windi Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    The main problem with Wine for android is that you are limited to Windows RT apps unless your tablet is powered by an Intel CPU. Normal Windows applications like most games won´t run on an ARM CPU. This is because Wine is not an emulator but an compatibility layer. You would have to run run an emulator inside Wine first, which would make the performance even worse.

E1ite007 and Bonny like this.
  5. Bonny

Germany
  6. Windi

Windi Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Most likely. I was unable to find good informations, but these days pretty much every phone or tablet runs on ARM. If you want to make sure there are apps like Droid Hardware Info (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.inkwired.droidinfo) which can give you this information as well.
    As an alternative for playing point´n click games on your tablet you can try ScummVM, there is an Android version out there, although I did not test it.

Bonny likes this.
  7. Rafciu

Rafciu Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Poland
    Im using Exagear - Windows to run some less demanding PC games on android. I think its a modded WINE or just some sort of launcher for it. Im playing Heroes of might and magic 3 and 4 on it. Installation method is really easy all You must do is to paste original game from Your PC to Exagear folder.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      131.2 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      45.7 KB
      Views:
  8. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun GBAtemp Fan

Uruguay
    from what i've heard windows rt can emulate 32-bit apps so you may be able to if there is a 32 bit version, or i could be wrong

9. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    A quick google provided me to my own surprise that, indeed, wine now has support for windows apps!!! :blink:

...and then I scrolled down and read that it was windows RT only. So... :glare:

But as said: many point & clicks run through scummvm, and if they're new games it would surprise me if they don't have an android version.

Still...streaming from another PC would be the best way to go. I get that it takes overhead and some delay, but c'mon: it's not like hidden picture games require 60 frames per seconds. :P

10. jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer Neato Burrito!

United States
    Bruh... Unless that Android device is beefy as hell (aka really dang powerful) then I don't think you'd be able to use WINE on it. Plus, isn't WINE for Mac OS X/Linux GUI Distros? Just 'cuz Android, Mac OS X, and Linux all use the Unix kernel under the hood doesn't mean it'll work for all of them.

11. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun GBAtemp Fan

Uruguay
    there is now a version of wine for android, but it's for windows rt

12. jeffyTheHomebrewer

United States
    ooh, interesting. wouldn't it be funny if someone ran bluestacks within wine on android? haha, no. unless?

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  13. Azerus_Kun

Azerus_Kun GBAtemp Fan

Uruguay
    i doubt there is a version of bluestacks for windows rt (but now that i think about it it would be quite nice as emulating within the same architecture is easier than emulating on a different one) it would run awfully but someone should do it for the memes

14. Joom

Joom  ❤❤❤

United States
    Hold up. There's no such thing as a unified UNIX kernel. Linux is the kernel. Macs use their own called XNU (X is Not UNIX). Linux is a UNIX-like, and macOS is the only OS that's UNIX certified, so it's closer to UNIX than Linux is. But no, the kernels between Linux, Android, and macOS are vastly different from each other.

Last edited by Joom, Jul 28, 2020
  15. jeffyTheHomebrewer

United States
    Oh. I guess you learn something new everyday!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'd do it for the memes.

Azerus_Kun likes this.
  16. jeffyTheHomebrewer

United States
    Wine on linux running bluestacks running wine for android running bluestacks running vitrual box running linux

sure I'll need a supercompy but it'll be worth it

Azerus_Kun likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Android, Windows, Android