2. if so, can it play .exe files
3. is there any way to run .exe files on a NDS

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There was a port of DOSbox to the DS as a proof-of-concept, but it ran incredibly slowly and was never released as a result. That's as close to Windows as you're going to get.

You can use SCUMMVM DS to play some old DOS-era PC games if you'd like. There's the port of Linux to the DS, DSLinux, and the Mac emulator, Mini Vmac DS, but nothing for Windows.

fateastray

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Why would you want to infect your DS with the windows virus, anyway? To play exes? The DS would only be able to emulate 3.1 and that could only run suprold stuff like...Jazz Jackrabbit or somthing....Okay, now see a good use for your idea! O_O

sepinho

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There was a port of DOSbox to the DS as a proof-of-concept, but it ran incredibly slowly and was never released as a result. That's as close to Windows as you're going to get.
That'd be close enough..
wink.gif

Just yesterday, I was thinking how cool it would be to have DOSBox on the DS. Just imagine: X-Com, the (really) old Ultima episodes.. The possibilities would be endless.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know i'm probably the only person here who thinks this, but I really enjoyed the Learning Company games as a child. The Treasureland series were some off the best edutainment ever. T'would kick ass to have them on DS. Rayman Dos too.

aeSentinel

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
forums.ds-xtreme.com
XP
Country
I think he must have been talking about that remote access homebrew program for Windows. DS2Win or something, I think it was called.

The only handheld consoles I've seen Windows run on are the PSP (Win 95) and GP2X (Win 3.11 through DOSBox). Both are superior to the Nintendo DS and both ran far too slowly for any practical use, so you're out of luck. As for Mac OS, I believe it was System 6 or 7 that can be emulated. They're nowhere near as advanced as OS X is, so that's why the DS can emulate them.

Seina

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
An x86 emulator would be nice, something we could copy DOS system files into. Is it impossible to port or run Bochs?

Hidekiadam

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.pokenet.co.uk
XP
Country
Hihi

The 8MHz ARM2 in the Acorn Archimedes A3000 was capable of running PC software at a speed that wasn't too bad, albeit 8086 only

This is because the emulation was done in assembly, most modern DOS emulators are written in C, hence they suck.

There's no reason at all why a reasonably fast 8086 emulator couldn't be written (66MHz ARM9 is much faster than an 8MHz ARM2), perhaps even a 286 or 386 emulator (although things get very hairy with the 386 and you'd have the MMU problem to contend with too)

So I suppose the short answer is no to windows, possibly yes to DOS games, I certainly don't think such as pinball fantasies are out of the question

I'd estimate even with a really efficient assembly core you'd be looking at 8-16MHz 386 type performance though, you wouldn't be running quake on it, put it that way

techforumz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hidekiadam said:
you wouldn't be running quake on it, put it that way

Yes you would. Why would you want to run Quake under a win32 emu, under a DOS emu, under a x86 emu, under a 67MHz ARM9. Just run DSQuake instead.

Correction: QuakeDS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1