GBAtemp RPG Maniac
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yep... I don't get how to do it in XP since it doesn't show an option for that, while my Vista Laptop does.

Is there anyway to format with the cluster size of my choice? I want to get the best performance out of my 2GB MicroSDs.

~Nero

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah... I forgot ALL about Command Prompt!

Thanks man, it works fine.
biggrin.gif

~Nero

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you don't want to use the command prompt, you can set the allocation unit size when you format via Disk Management.

Start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc
or
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NOOO!! I've been up for a couple hours now and I CANNOT get it to format in the cluster size I want. Because I don't know how to.
dry.gif

If you don't want to use the command prompt, you can set the allocation unit size when you format via Disk Management.

Start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc
or
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Storage -> Disk Management

That won't work.. It says the Logistic Drive has been disabled..

~Nero

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What file system are you trying to format it in, and what size allocation units are you trying to use?

I'm trying to format my 2GB Sandisk into FAT32 + 64KB clusters to squeeze the best performance out of it.

But no luck.
cry.gif
I have no idea how to format it's cluster size... I had a link to Microsoft where it showed all the parameters for it, but I lost it.
mad.gif

~Nero

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can't use 64K allocation units with FAT32. I just tried, and it wouldn't let me.

If you want to have the fastest, least efficient (space-wise) file system, you want FAT with 64K allocation units.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FORMAT x: /FS:FAT /A:64K should do it. Obviously you'll need to change x: to the drive letter for the microSD card.

Or you could follow the instructions I posted earlier, right click the microSD card, click 'format', and choose the appropriate options.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FORMAT x: /FS:FAT /A:64K should do it. Obviously you'll need to change x: to the drive letter for the microSD card.

Or you could follow the instructions I posted earlier, right click the microSD card, click 'format', and choose the appropriate options.

Thanks so much for the parameter!
biggrin.gif

I forget these little things all the time.

Hey, when I did (Format h: /FS:fat32 /A:32K) it said that the Specified Cluster size is too big for FAT32...

I think I'll stick to FAT now.. I thought at least 32K clusters was allowed on Fat32...

Oh and that Disk Management thing, It said it wouldn't connect with the logistic drive or something...

~Nero

EDIT-ADD: When I used FORMAT h: /FS:FAT /A:64K
It said something about making programs/applications would have compatibility problems... I should ignore this, right?

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAT32 is slower than FAT for the same reason that smaller allocation units are slower than larger ones: more data has to be dealt with in order to perform any given operation. Even if FAT32 supported 64K allocation units, FAT would still be faster.

As for the Disk Management problem, I've never seen that before so I don't know what's going on there.

It said something about making programs/applications would have compatibility problems... I should ignore this, right?
Yes, ignore it. It just means that 64K allocation units were not supported in previous versions of Windows.

Nero

GBAtemp RPG Maniac
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
FAT32 is slower than FAT for the same reason that smaller allocation units are slower than larger ones: more data has to be dealt with in order to perform any given operation. Even if FAT32 supported 64K allocation units, FAT would still be faster.

As for the Disk Management problem, I've never seen that before so I don't know what's going on there.

Yes, ignore it. It just means that 64K allocation units were not supported in previous versions of Windows.

Alright.. Thanks so much!

bow.gif
You helped me through an hour or two of hell.

toot.gif
for Destructobot

~Nero

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself