Windows XP SP3

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by FaRReR, Jul 19, 2008.

1. FaRReR
    OP

FaRReR GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2008
    the Internet
    Well, yesterday I downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 3. I was excited at how much better it would make my computer.

I was wrong.

My computer, after the installation and not one, but TWO restarts, was around 1/3 of its normal speed.

Microsoft, I have to say this to you - YOU SUCK!

I'm very disappointed with this Service Pack. I've uninstalled it... computer, surprise surprise is back to normal speed.

Is this some sort of scaled-down version of Vista?

Overall, I have to warn you -
    SP3 isn't any good.

2. jumpman17

jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

Former Staff
    Apr 11, 2003
    United States
    Yep. It killed my network and took over a week to fix, even after downgrading back to SP2.

3. fischju

fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

Jan 11, 2008
    United States
    It has worked fine on all of my clean installs

4. FaRReR
    OP

FaRReR GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2008
    the Internet
    Wow, that's amazing. I wasn't expecting anyone to agree with me- I thought I was starting a fanboy flame war LOL

5. juggernaut911

juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

Jul 13, 2006
    United States
    mine worked fine. though whenever I get like a new vid card, proc, mobo, (major component) I just reinstall my XP Home with a bunch of fixes intergrated.

I've got pretty good with nlite, pretty handy

did you try rereinstalling? might've been a bad install

6. FaRReR
    OP

FaRReR GBAtemp Regular

Feb 1, 2008
    the Internet
    I don't want to spend another hour of my (precious, so precious) time. I'd rather be playing a free online FPS with a bunch of egoists [​IMG]

7. xcalibur

xcalibur Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear

Jun 2, 2007
    Sacred Heart
    SP3 has worked out pretty fine so far but I'm going to upgrade to Vista soon anyway.

8. Richy Freeway

Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 9, 2006
    We get around 50 XP machines in to repair a week. Every one of them gets SP3 applied. Since SP3's release we've only had it mess up 2 machines. We fixed both and sent them out with SP3 on.

That's a lot of PCs running happily with SP3. A good mix of clean installs, machines that didn't even have SP1 installed and machines updated to an average standard.