Homebrew Windows XP or Vista on NDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayler

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you mean to have XP or Vista running on the DS, I don't believe it will ever happen, due to the RAM and the Processor specs. They do have linux running there though, but not to its best capabilities.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
N1nt3nd0gam3r said:
What does it even do I couldnt quite figure that out what is the point is it worth it lol?

WTH are you talking about? The nearest thing to Windows on the DS is Win2DS, and that's just an app that shows your desktop on your DS, not a full OS.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I have no idea what you are talking about. Why in the hell would you want that on your DS? There's no point.. just go to your computer.

N-TG

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Greece
Well...for ds you better run the first windows ever made...If you can of course
3,11...I don't remember it's name
frown.gif

OneMichael

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
atomicat.com
XP
Country
Canada
He's probably talking about WintenDoS, which is basically a simulation of XP on the DS, including a start menu and a textpad, along with a couple other programs.

As for XP itself:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sysreqs/pro.mspx
QUOTE said:
•PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
•128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
•1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
•Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
•CD-ROM or DVD drive
•Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
We've got the pointing device, we can use our computer's CD-ROM or DVD drive (for the install disk, I'd assume).
Nintendo intentionally kept the screen's ppi low, because the higher-resolution screens are more expensive, and most humans seem half-blind. Also, older people WILL be using the system, so it would be unfair to them. 256x192 doesn't even come close to 800x600, or even 640x480 (which some emergency modes seem to run on, and which I believe is also the iPhone's screen).
How much RAM do we have? 4MB? I think that's less than 64, by quite a margin.
300MHz is also out of reach.

I'll check 98:
-66 MHz
-16 MB RAM
-vga
Much closer, and we could probably use a RAM extension, but it would still tax the system.
Still, I would have thought that we couldn't get any more than 3.11, which needs:

-MS-DOS 3.1 or later
-IBM compatible 80286 or higher (386 recommended)
-640KB Conventional memory
-256KB extended memory (XMS v 2.0 or higher)
-1MB extended memory recommended on 80286
-2MB extended memory recommended on 80386
Sounds like it would run perfectly.

Findecanno

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
edge199715 said:
you can run windows 98 on the dsi
doesn't the dsi boot flashkarts in ds mode which uses just 4mb of ram? if so we need to wait until they hack the dsi and make the dsi homebrew channel. Now what somebody should work on is windows for wii

D

Deleted User

OneMichael said:
He's probably talking about WintenDoS, which is basically a simulation of XP on the DS, including a start menu and a textpad, along with a couple other programs.

As for XP itself:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sysreqs/pro.mspx
QUOTE said:
•PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended
•128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)
•1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*
•Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor
•CD-ROM or DVD drive
•Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
We've got the pointing device, we can use our computer's CD-ROM or DVD drive (for the install disk, I'd assume).
Nintendo intentionally kept the screen's ppi low, because the higher-resolution screens are more expensive, and most humans seem half-blind. Also, older people WILL be using the system, so it would be unfair to them. 256x192 doesn't even come close to 800x600, or even 640x480 (which some emergency modes seem to run on, and which I believe is also the iPhone's screen).
How much RAM do we have? 4MB? I think that's less than 64, by quite a margin.
300MHz is also out of reach.

I'll check 98:
-66 MHz
-16 MB RAM
-vga
Much closer, and we could probably use a RAM extension, but it would still tax the system.
Still, I would have thought that we couldn't get any more than 3.11, which needs:

-MS-DOS 3.1 or later
-IBM compatible 80286 or higher (386 recommended)
-640KB Conventional memory
-256KB extended memory (XMS v 2.0 or higher)
-1MB extended memory recommended on 80286
-2MB extended memory recommended on 80386
Sounds like it would run perfectly.

End of Topic.

Win 3.11 would be REALLY awesome to see.
But hey - where can I download my DS port of DOS?
Oh wait-

D

Deleted User

Dan, is it possible to make it run fullspeed on our little DSes?
Or the hardware is just different?

BTW, it's open-source.

Impossible is nothing.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That XP on 7 megahertz is pretty epic, but the DS STILL doesn't have enough memory without expansion. Windows 3.11 is more attainable probably.

MAYBE if you had the sources of all the old games and the requirements were reasonable, you could play some DOS or Windows games on DS. But I really don't see it happening. Who knows? I'd love to play some old games on my DS. For now, ScummVM will do.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
you all still forget 1 thing.
windows is entirely built to only support x86 CPU's.
it can't handle 2 differently clocked ARM CPU's.
you'd have to rebuild the core of windows which requires the source, or you'd have to run an emulator which requires more powerful hardware.

linux could only be ported because it's open source, making it a lot easier to port to different types of CPU.

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
P.S said:
Hmm.
Linux on the ds, sounds fun
smile.gif
There is DSLinux. It exists because Linux is good. This is also the reason why there is no, has been to attempt to port a Windows OS to the DS. Why in gods name would anyone want Microsoft bullcrap on their DS is a mystery to me.

OneMichael

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
atomicat.com
XP
Country
Canada
Programmers have tried porting XP to the DS. It was more of a simulation than a port, but yeah.

As for the dual cores, I'd suppose the idea would be to run it on the one 66 MHz core, which alone could run Windows 98. It's a 32-bit chip, but it's different from a standard architecture, so I'm not sure what that implies.
At any rate, you'd have to wonder what the use would be.

Speaking of DSLinux, is there a GUI desktop on that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...