Windows XP and upgrading PC.

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Westside, Mar 26, 2008.

1. Westside
    OP

Westside Sogdiana

Dec 18, 2004
    Uzbekistan
    Guantanamo bay
    Apparently Windows XP when it's activated, it takes on the unique value of the Motherboard and sends it, so that when the XP is installed on a different computer, activation will fail. Does anyone see a problem here?... What if my old motherboard fries and I need a new one? So I need to pay about $100 to buy a new legit XP?
    [​IMG]

2. fischju

fischju Rehabilitated Jaywalker

Jan 11, 2008
    United States
    Just if you have an OEM copy I think. If you get another mobo, you have to call Microsoft.

3. Jiggah

Jiggah GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 9, 2002
    United States
    Unless I'm mistaken, you can call up MS and have them activate the new computer with the new board.

4. hanman

hanman I'm a pretty lucky guy

Nov 27, 2005
    United States
    Galbadia Garden
    this is correct. if you are adept enough at social engineering, you can talk them into reactivating several times. they used to limit it to 5 times, but after much bitching by pissed off computer enthusiasts, they relented.

5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    If it is legit (OEM machines are normally the exception and ironically usually the biggest pain to activate in a legit manner whenever someone wanted to do it) do you have a problem with bypassing the activation: they are not losing anything (and not even in the tenuous "I would not have paid for it anyway" manner).

6. Gman 101

Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2007
    Karkand & Mashtuur City
    Thing is, you can always called up M$ and tell them your computer died or something and you need a new CD key. They'll always happily give you one.

7. Jhongerkong

Jhongerkong GBAtemp Fan

Mar 1, 2007
    Canada

You could just dl a torrent

8. superrob

superrob H4X H4X H4X!

Apr 4, 2007
    GBATemp factory.
    We are talking about microsoft here.

9. Gman 101

Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2007
    Karkand & Mashtuur City
    I know we're talking about Microsoft here. I've tried it before and it works. Or you could just go the cheap way and just get an activation crack.

Note: M$ = Micro$oft for those who don't know...