GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Today I stumbled upon this article:

https://www.golem.de/news/subdomain...s-control-over-windows-tiles-1904-140717.html

Looks a bit like clickbait to me. I can't judge if this is actually a (security) problem. But something tells me such a thing should not happen (not that "Live Tiles" showing ads have been a smart idea in the first place).

Any opinions on that? Could some Windows users enlighten me if this is a severe problem?

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

Microsoft has a simple and easy solution:

silence

And simply remove their Browser EDGE with the next Update.:angry:
(thats their real "issue").

I don´t know if this is the solution: You can TURN OFF this crap with the Tiles.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
OP
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don´t know if this is the solution: You can TURN OFF this crap with the Tiles.
You did this. I did this on my Windows computer. Most likely many GBAtemp members did this. But I don't think not tech-savvy people bother with turning off things like this. And the telemetry garbage and Cortanta and… what did I miss this time??
In terms of actual security, it could become a problem if any exploits exists.

There are of course other potential issues such as adware, scareware, etc.

Security hole or not (probably sandboxed, not privileged, no arbitrary code execution -- whatever): Just the idea somebody can push random text messages to Windows computers baffles me.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
You did this. I did this on my Windows computer. Most likely many GBAtemp members did this. But I don't think not tech-savvy people bother with turning off things like this. And the telemetry garbage and Cortanta and… what did I miss this time??

Sadly most of the not tech-savvy people has not an interest in such things or simply don´t know about security and such things.:(
They are simple "users".Power on their PCs/Laptops after work or in their sparetime etc.,checking Mails and doing Internet (and surley no IT security relevant sites) or play a little game.
And suddenly maybe wondering,when their Tiles doing some strange things.
Then they call up their "IT Friends" and they tell them "Hey you have a security problem.Don´t you know that ?":blink::wacko:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: