Windows 8 from pen drive + UEFI = Major headaches

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by Yepi69, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Yepi69
    OP

Yepi69 Vivid and busy gamer

Nov 29, 2010
    Portugal
    Behind you
    I have Win 7 and Linux Mint installed both on Legacy BIOS and they work great, but I wanna upgrade to Win 8 on UEFI (my laptop came with Win 8 pre installed and I removed it and installed 7) mostly because I think its time to move on to another system and not to mention that I get my free Windows 10 upgrade to UEFI, but this is where it gets tricky.

I have no other way to install Win 8 on my laptop besides using a downloaded Windows 8 iso image but the thing is, it only boots from Legacy BIOS, I tried booting from UEFI and it boots but shortly after it gives me the ''winload.efi'' problem and doesn't let me do a god damn thing from there.
    I used Rufus to format my pen drive to FAT32 in GPT and even so it gave me the same error, to be honest I don't know what else to do, installing Windows 8 on UEFI has been more complicated than using Linux Mint for the first time
    Oh BTW the Windows 8 image I'm using is an All-In-One image but I don't know if that counts for anything since I downloaded Windows image, Windows 8.1 AIO and even that didn't work

2. tbb043

tbb043 Member

Jan 30, 2008
    United States
  3. endoverend

endoverend AKA zooksman

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    endoverend is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 6, 2013
    United States
    Rebuilding the MBR as instructed my the guide above may help, also i would try burning a Windows 8 disc, it's much more reliable than usb, trust me.

4. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    I do not have an UEFI based machine, did you disable secure boot option in your uefi setting? Perhaps that may resolve your issue?