Windows 8 - DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION bsod ?

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is pretty much a new computer so idk why its happening. it happened when i was trying to upload a file on a site. i tried uploading, my computer froze and it displayed that error.
I tried once again on the same site same file and it froze and happened again.
Ive never seen this before.

Also i know youre going to say im probably not sure 100% but It's not a virus. I scan daily w/ mbam pro and avast free. (even if i dont download anything) I've had java shut off since the minute I got chrome (first day I got this computer)

Any ideas?

Screenshot%20%283%29.png

this is the message that shows when i get my computer started back up.
When its on the bsod with the :( sad smiley face it says DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION

EthanObi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION is very common if you have a Solid State Drive (SSD) in Windows 8. Many SSDs can’t handle Windows 8 correctly until you update the firmware on the drive. Firmware means memory and code on the device itself that controls it. The newer the firmware, the more likely it is to handle something new. (For example, if you own a Blu-Ray player, odds are you’ve updated it at least once through the Internet. That’s firmware.)
To update the firmware of your SSD, you first need to retrieve the model number.
  1. Press Windows Key + X to bring up the Power User menu
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click System when viewing by Small Icons
  4. Click Device Manager
  5. Click the arrow next to Disk Drives
=
2012-11-05_17-16-21.png

Record the model number and Google it along with the word “firmware”Choose the manufacturer’s site, if available. In my case, I had a Crucial drive, and I was able to find clear PDF instructions and a file that auto-updated my firmware.
Once you perform this update and reboot, you shouldn’t get the error anymore.
2012-11-05_17-15-34.png

More Information from Microsoft

Here’s a page on Microsoft’s website about this specific BSoD error. It’s pretty technical, but worth checking out if the above solutions don’t work.
Good luck!

Source

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The first file it lists (in the minidump folder), upload it to mediafire or something and link us.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13066159/011713-28953-01.dmp

DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION is very common if you have a Solid State Drive (SSD) in Windows 8. Many SSDs can’t handle Windows 8 correctly until you update the firmware on the drive. Firmware means memory and code on the device itself that controls it. The newer the firmware, the more likely it is to handle something new. (For example, if you own a Blu-Ray player, odds are you’ve updated it at least once through the Internet. That’s firmware.)
To update the firmware of your SSD, you first need to retrieve the model number.
  1. Press Windows Key + X to bring up the Power User menu
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Click System when viewing by Small Icons
  4. Click Device Manager
  5. Click the arrow next to Disk Drives
=
2012-11-05_17-16-21.png

Record the model number and Google it along with the word “firmware”Choose the manufacturer’s site, if available. In my case, I had a Crucial drive, and I was able to find clear PDF instructions and a file that auto-updated my firmware.
Once you perform this update and reboot, you shouldn’t get the error anymore.
2012-11-05_17-15-34.png

More Information from Microsoft

Here’s a page on Microsoft’s website about this specific BSoD error. It’s pretty technical, but worth checking out if the above solutions don’t work.
Good luck!

Source
Thanks for the reply, but i dont have an ssd :/

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you installed any activation cracks? It's more likely what Rydian described, but I've read about people installing fake activation cracks who received similar errors. You might try running "sfc /scannow"

3bbb7

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you installed any activation cracks? It's more likely what Rydian described, but I've read about people installing fake activation cracks who received similar errors. You might try running "sfc /scannow"
nope, this is a legit copy of windows
What does sfc /scannow do ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu