Windows 7 Won't Boot. System Recovery won't start either.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Basically my PC updated last night, turned it off when it finished.
Fast forward to today, it took ages on the Windows logo and the start screen. After about 2 or 3 minutes, it finally went to loading, then "configuring desktop". Left it on for a long time, and eventually it blackscreened, restarted. Tried to boot up, same thing, but instead of going to "configuring desktop" it black screens, with the mouse cursor visible. Repair mode when F8ing in POST is broken, tried all the other usual ones, safe mode etc. When it got to CLASSPNP.sys, it would freeze up. Now when it gets to that, it blue screens, then less than a second later, reboots. I have Linux Mint installed on the same drive which works fine, so the drive is intact.
As well I tried using Repair which is on the hard drive a long with windows, didn't work. Used my recovery disk, did work, went to repair. Said "attempting to fix disk errors" or something to that effect. It then failed. Tried to reboot into it, now says it's not compatible with the version running.
As stated previous, Linux Mint works, so until then I have to use that. Is there anything I can do?

EDIT : System repair seems hit and miss, just worked right now, even though it hasn't been working the other billion times we tried it.
EDIT2 : did bootrec /RebuildBCD. It says there are no Windows Installations.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Was this the preinstalled OS then?

Also you'll likely need to copy the user folder out to somewhere safe from the linux partition (totally bypassing the user account system on Windows).
This OS has been on this PC since I built it.
I am bypassing the User Account system. I am on a bootdisk that I have to copy stuff off.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Pro tip: If you were bypassing it, you would not be getting an access denied message. :P

The windows boot disc reads the registry data of the install to load in the account info, use Linux, which doesn't give a shit and will let you read and write whatever. I pop in Linux discs to copy stuff off dead Windows installs time to time.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
Pro tip: If you were bypassing it, you would not be getting an access denied message. :P

The windows boot disc reads the registry data of the install to load in the account info, use Linux, which doesn't give a shit and will let you read and write whatever. I pop in Linux discs to copy stuff off dead Windows installs time to time.
Ah. Okay. Thought you meant a general bootdisk. It's a windows one. Gonna use my OPHcrack disc and will report back when done. Have to re-download it and burn it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte