Gaming Windows 7 Upgrade Help

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so i'm asuming that since you guys use GBATemp you either have flashcarts or modded wiis etc... so what im doing

is when windows 7 first came out i got the final evaluation copy not the final release so i'm downloading "Windows 7

Ultimate" right now the final release copy and i want to install it on my laptop with the evaluation version of 7 already on

it, but i know im going to lose all of my programs. I already got the "ninite" setup program that will reinstall some of the

programs i want to get back plus i get a lot of my programs illegaly im not sure if i should say that on this topic but

its true it takes a lot of time to get it all to work right. "So what i want is some advice on what to do.

Hatsu

Someone's been killing, eh?
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Use the upgrade function. It keeps all your stuff! You will have all of your stuff if you Upgrade.
biggrin.gif

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i already have a way to back up all my files i have a 16 gig flash drive for my music and pics and stuff

and i cant upgrade from windows 7 to windows 7

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh really i didnt think it would let you hold on the version info is (version 6.1 (build 7600) does that change anything

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can't upgrade from a higher tier of Windows 7 to a lower one.

For example, I have Windows 7 RC Ultimate installed right now. I downloaded Windows 7 RTM Professional from my school, and I can't do an upgrade because you can't go from Ultimate back down to Professional.

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if install it (for me i have windows 7 ultimate) so i would have to install another windows 7 ultimate right?

foxgrey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you run into an error where the installer says it won't upgrade from your current version, there is a small hack you can do to make it install. (only works from beta and up)

I take no credit for this, and I not sure if I can link to the site it comes from, so if you need more help just PM me. I do know first hand that it does work!

Code:
First open your iso, or extract it.

Browse to the sources directory. 
Open the file cversion.ini in a text editor such as Notepad. 
Modify the MinClient build number to a value lower than the down-level build. For example, change 7233 to 7000. 
Original content of cversion.ini:
[HostBuild]
MinClient=7233.0
MinServer=7100.0

Change it to:
[HostBuild]
MinClient=7000.0
MinServer=7100.0

Save the file in original place and original name. 
Double click on setup.exe from modified installation files to start Windows 7 installation, and choose Upgrade to in-place upgrade to latest RTM gold build of Windows 7. The version check will be skipped and bypassed.

ysuki

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you already backed up all your files, wouldn't it be better to do a clean install? At least it rules out potential problems from the upgrade process if you do run in to problems.

Elritha

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
The hack above does work if you're upgrading from an RC or Beta, but has been known to cause problems for some users. You would be better off for peace of mind just doing a fresh install. Remains of the RC or Beta may remain otherwise.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Edhel said:
The hack above does work if you're upgrading from an RC or Beta, but has been known to cause problems for some users. You would be better off for peace of mind just doing a fresh install. Remains of the RC or Beta may remain otherwise.
yep. don't be lazy and just backup your files and do a fresh install. it will be worth it in the end.

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so i upgraded my laptop and so far its been working really great ive even noticed a few more features

i didnt have before i am a bit worried that i will run into problems later but right now im installing the

updates and i kept all my files and programs so i think im lucky

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well let me put it this way.
As a user you download a lot of applications/games ( not all of them legitimate as I seem to read between the lines ).
Every time you install and then remove those, something is left behind in the windows registry, or something else needed by another application gets accidentally removed and breaks functionality....
Especially in our line of hobbies ( hacking , modding and so on ) we often download applications or cracks that may contain small viruses ( or big ) but we live with the risk and at the end it's worth it.
In order to leave with my choices, I learned over the years to regularly back up my music/video/picture files on an external USB drive, and also keep a folder with all the ZIP files containing full installation files or isos for all the programs/games I intent to keep.
And also I backup my windows mail settings and received/sent messages.
Of course I also keep a backup of my Firefox favorites links and passwords.
In other words, every few months it's advisable to format your hard disk and fresh re-install your OS ( regardless of your choice of system ) to ensure maximum efficiency.
Then you spend a little time reinstalling your stuff and during the process, you realize that you don't even need half of the crap and you end up with a much more clean and garbage free PC experience.
For this reasons, I would never perform an update over a previous OS, because besides all the shortcomings I mentioned before, you also end up with a lot of unnecessary 'left overs' from the old OS that will undoubtedly make your experience with the new OS less then optimal.
I also have Win 7 RC on my system, and after a few months I couldn't imagine going back to XP ( I skipped Vista altogether ) .
Problem is, in a few months RC will expire, and I'm already taking steps to make fresh install of the retail version as easy and painless as it can be.
But now I need a few words of advice myself:
My Dell XPS PC came with Vista ultimate edition with the included Option to have it downgraded to XP.
Which is fine.
I now have a dual booting system with XP and Win 7 RC.
I think soon or later I will have to purchase the retail version of Win 7, and I heard that I won't be able to buy the cheaper Upgrade package and install it over the RC.
But it's possible to upgrade Vista to Win 7 Home for something like $83 which is not as bad as the $ 200 price tag for the full version.
Technically , since my PC came with Vista Ultimate, I should be able to dig out my Dell OS DVD and put Vista on my PC and then upgrade to Win 7 cheaper and hassle free, but my question is, would I be able to perform a "clean" install using the Win 7 upgrade package (by running it from my legitimate copy of Vista of course ) ?
I'm not worried about having to reinstall everything, I'm used to that, is just that a clean install is a must for me.
Maybe I'll start my own topic for this by the way........

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
Windows Upgrade is always a bad idea.
Totally agree. It just leaves old clutter on your hard drive. Backup necessary files (pics, vids, taxes, etc) and download installers before hand so you can get straight to installing out of the box without ever launching IE. may I recommend Ninite? Not too customizable but good for a 1 click install (not sure if the downloaded installers are launched with silent switches or not).

DQScott95

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok if anybody has a legit version of windows 7 ultimate please open the command prompt and type in (winver) without ( ) ans post a screenshot of the screen that pops up Thank you
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte