OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Microsoft has confirmed that it is investigating a problem described as the "black screen of death", which affects its latest operating system.

The error means that users of Windows 7 see a totally black screen after logging on to the system.

The firm said it was looking into reports that suggest its latest security update, issued on 10 November, was the cause the problem.

Reports suggest the flaw also affects Vista, XP and other systems.

Software firm Prevx, which has issued a fix for the problem, says "millions" of people may be affected.

"Users have resorted to reloading Windows as a last ditch effort to fix the problem," the firm's David Kennerley wrote in a blog post.

"We hope we can help a good many of you avoid the need to reload."

Unknown problem

The firm said its fix did not work in all cases.

"There can be many causes," said Mr Kennerley.

"But if your black screen woes began in the last two weeks after a Windows update or after running any security program (including Prevx) to remove malware during this time then this fix will have a high probability of working."

Mr Kennerly said the firm had identified "at least 10 different scenarios which will trigger the same black screen conditions".

"These appear to have been around for years now," he said.

The firm reports that the problem affects editions of Windows 7, Vista, XP, NT, and Windows 2000.

Microsoft said that people who are affected by the problem should contact its customer service line.

A spokesperson said that the reports did "not match any known issues" documented by the firm.

It has not issued a fix for the problem, which causes the desktop, task bar, system tray and side bar to disappear, according to reports.

The "black screen of death" moniker is a play on the "blue screen of death", which appears when Microsoft operating systems crash.

Source

Another Source

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Makes me happy that my Windows 7 PC is offline.
tongue.gif

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Vidboy10 said:
QUOTE said:
Microsoft has confirmed that it is investigating a problem described as the "black screen of death", which affects its latest operating system.

The error means that users of Windows 7 see a totally black screen after logging on to the system.

The firm said it was looking into reports that suggest its latest security update, issued on 10 November, was the cause the problem.

Reports suggest the flaw also affects Vista, XP and other systems.

Software firm Prevx, which has issued a fix for the problem, says "millions" of people may be affected.

"Users have resorted to reloading Windows as a last ditch effort to fix the problem," the firm's David Kennerley wrote in a blog post.

"We hope we can help a good many of you avoid the need to reload."

Unknown problem

The firm said its fix did not work in all cases.

"There can be many causes," said Mr Kennerley.

"But if your black screen woes began in the last two weeks after a Windows update or after running any security program (including Prevx) to remove malware during this time then this fix will have a high probability of working."

Mr Kennerly said the firm had identified "at least 10 different scenarios which will trigger the same black screen conditions".

"These appear to have been around for years now," he said.

The firm reports that the problem affects editions of Windows 7, Vista, XP, NT, and Windows 2000.

Microsoft said that people who are affected by the problem should contact its customer service line.

A spokesperson said that the reports did "not match any known issues" documented by the firm.

It has not issued a fix for the problem, which causes the desktop, task bar, system tray and side bar to disappear, according to reports.

The "black screen of death" moniker is a play on the "blue screen of death", which appears when Microsoft operating systems crash.

Source
You upon reading this, it raises a good question, what problem doesn't Vista have other than being Vista?

Vidboy10

Tsardom
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
luke_c said:
Vidboy10 said:
Maikel Steneker said:
I thought 7 and Vista were supposed to have a Red Screen of Death? Or was that changed later on?
That was just Vista.
No one ever said that Win 7 had the RSOD.
Pretty sure it only existed in the BETA's.
Actuelly, some people who bought the GA got the RSOD.
But i think that was just a coincidence.

DarkWay

tsubasa hiroge
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
deanxxczx said:
luke_c said:
deanxxczx said:
Reason why Windows 7 fails
Once again you need to study the OP.
It affects ALL versions of Windows, not just Seven.

My god, i'm failing hard today
frown.gif

Though i got an update from Windows around that date, nothing has happened yet.

I run vista (......yeah ¬¬) but I've never ever encountered ANY problems with it in terms of screens of death kinds of things, sure I've had some game glitches like oblivion for some reson a none existant window blink in the top right hand corner of the screen but thats all.

offtopic: dean how many times do you change your avatar a week I swear I've seen 3 different ones this past 2 days XD

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
DarkWay said:
deanxxczx said:
luke_c said:
deanxxczx said:
Once again you need to study the OP.
It affects ALL versions of Windows, not just Seven.

My god, i'm failing hard today
frown.gif

Though i got an update from Windows around that date, nothing has happened yet.

I run vista (......yeah ¬¬) but I've never ever encountered ANY problems with it in terms of screens of death kinds of things, sure I've had some game glitches like oblivion for some reson a none existant window blink in the top right hand corner of the screen but thats all.

offtopic: dean how many times do you change your avatar a week I swear I've seen 3 different ones this past 2 days XD

I had a crash from Oblivion, every time it got 3mins into it. It crashed
blink.gif

I've never seen a blue screen of death. I want to though
tongue.gif

I'm sticking to this picture now!

James_Wulfe

Trophies
Website
okami-designs.ath.cx
XP
Country
United States
deanxxczx said:

Uh.... there is no reason, except for maybe some fan-boys rant of opening his mouth where it was not warranted too, seriously have you even used 7, as if you did you would know 7 is far from fail. For having near 1000 posts you sure make some ignorant statements...

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
James_Wulfe said:
deanxxczx said:

Uh.... there is no reason, except for maybe some fan-boys rant of opening his mouth where it was not warranted too, seriously have you even used 7, as if you did you would know 7 is far from fail. For having near 1000 posts you sure make some ignorant statements...

I have used Windows 7. I just don't like it because too much has changed from Windows XP.

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Mehh. This is obviously just Microsoft being stupid, not the Operating System (if that makes any sense)...

The update is what probably caused it, and since this happens in Vista, XP, and 2000 as well, you can't blame 7 for this.

I, for one, think 7 launched with much MUCH less problems than when the buggy opus that was Vista came out. So be happy, anti-fanboys.

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
geoflcl said:
Mehh. This is obviously just Microsoft being stupid, not the Operating System (if that makes any sense)...

The update is what probably caused it, and since this happens in Vista, XP, and 2000 as well, you can't blame 7 for this.

I, for one, think 7 launched with much MUCH less problems than when the buggy opus that was Vista came out. So be happy, anti-fanboys.

QFT
7 is so much better then Vista, I liked Vista, but I love 7.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @NinStar, Who's whipping who?