VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't understand all this rage on EA.
If you are a PC gamer, you probably already have a 64-bit OS
Windows 32-bit may have a better compatibility in general, but nothing impossible to install
If you want to get full use of your PC for gaming, you oughta use a 64bit Windows

I use Linux and play games on PS3, but even on linux, and even having just 2GB of RAM, I use a 64-bit OS, to be more precise, Kubuntu 12.04
I have a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit too, but almost never use it

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
Microsoft has said repeatedly that you won't be able to turn of metro.

(...)

I can only hope for Microsoft, that there will be a hack to disable Metro. Otherwise nobody will get 8.
Metro UI can be enabled or disabled by changing a value in a single registery key:

Code:
Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
Key: RPEnabled 1 (change to 0 to disable Metro)

It's really not rocket science, and even if you don't know how to do it, there's this magical button on the UI called "Desktop", guess what it does? :P

Yeah disabling a registry key is such a user friendly way for anybody to disable it. I'm doing a Computer Science degree and it is very rare that I want to mess around with my registry keys. It is something the average user just will not understand.
Oh and that desktop button? Only there to support older programs really. In my opinion its implementation is terrible. I hated the constant switching between Metro and Desktop to get the simplest of tasks done such as launch a program or access the control panel.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I hated the constant switching between Metro and Desktop to get the simplest of tasks done such as launch a program or access the control panel.
Not that I want to burst your bubble, but you can simply right-click on Metro and select All Apps from the bottom menu. Each and every program you have installed will show up in neat categories on the screen, this includes the Control Panel, right under the Windows System category.

Not only that, the applications you use the most can be made into tiles on the main screen, so practically, you're *1* click away from your Control Panel - where exactly is the issue?

Metro is simply new - once you get the hang of it, it's pretty straight-forward. That, and contrary to what you're saying, changing *1* key in the registery is not a big deal at all, especially since registery editors have a Search function and you know exactly which key you want to disable. That said, Microsoft should simply implement an Off switch on Metro UI, but hey - it's just a Beta at this point.

Reactions: 1 person

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
I hated the constant switching between Metro and Desktop to get the simplest of tasks done such as launch a program or access the control panel.
Not that I want to burst your bubble, but you can simply right-click on Metro and select All Apps from the bottom menu. Each and every program you have installed will show up in neat categories on the screen, this includes the Control Panel, right under the Windows System category.

Not only that, the applications you use the most can be made into tiles on the main screen, so practically, you're *1* click away from your Control Panel - where exactly is the issue?

Metro is simply new - once you get the hang of it, it's pretty straight-forward. That, and contrary to what you're saying, changing *1* key in the registery is not a big deal at all, especially since registery editors have a Search function and you know exactly which key you want to disable. That said, Microsoft should simply implement an Off switch on Metro UI, but hey - it's just a Beta at this point.
Maybe to you its not a big deal but to the standard user that registry editor is one giant maze of things that could fuck you over.

And yes if I right click in the Metro Start Menu i can access all my apps. If I'm in WIndows 7 though I just click on start and type. Or just click the clear "All Programs" button. My issue is that its adding another layer of confusion to the average consumer. Hell, I have no idea how to add an icon to the desktop in that WIndows 8 Beta. I dislike the Metro Interface an awful lot from a Desktop standpoint. Every single icon and box is simply too large for a desktop user. The interface feels large and unwieldy to me and is clearly designed from a Tablet standpoint with little regard for a desktop user.

Edit: Btw my problem was the switching. I have to enter a full screen interface to launch another program even if its another desktop app. In Windows 7 its a nice minimal interface.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Every single icon and box is simply too large for a desktop user. The interface feels large and unwieldy to me and is clearly designed from a Tablet standpoint with little regard for a desktop user.
Oh, it's definitely aimed for tablets, touchscreen monitors and portable computers, I can't argue with that. That said, Live Icons are really not a bad idea at all.

The very purpose of introducing Metro was to make the desktop "alive" - the live icons update your status in various applications, much like Gadgets did in Vista and 7, but in a more unified fashion.

Want to log on to IM services? Bam, on Metro. Want to share stuff instantly on those services? Bam, done. Want to check your mail? Your mail checks itself, right on Metro.

I don't treat it as a substitute for the desktop - I treat it as a welcome mat before it. The proper work all takes place on the desktop, but when I want to use my computer for entertainment - play some music, browse some pictures, update my status, I don't even have to go to the desktop at all - everything is already integrated.

Like I said - there should be an option that disables this User Interface for those who don't want to deal with it, much like there was an option to disable Aero, an option for Classic Windows and so on and so forth in previous editions, even down to the Command Line which gathers dust on most computers.

That said, I do admit that as an interface, Metro loads up faster than the standard desktop and appears to be more see-through for computer-illiterate users. I'm pretty sure that certain aspects of it annoy you for the same reason why they innitially annoyed me - because they're radically different from what we've seen in Windows... ever, really.

It's a new take, people got used to the Windows interface and have certain expectations, that's why it should be optional, but I wouldn't diss it just because it's different as it does have certain merits - that's about the gist of my argument here. ;)

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I have 64 bit on my system already, but I'll only upgrade to Windows 8 when it's required for at least five games I want. I'd like to have a computer that doesn't act and look like a giant smart phone for a while.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
well it's only a matter of time b4 32bit becomes obsolete anyway. i'm loving my win7 64x so i say
bring-it-on_1090.gif

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah disabling a registry key is such a user friendly way for anybody to disable it. I'm doing a Computer Science degree and it is very rare that I want to mess around with my registry keys. It is something the average user just will not understand.
You can use a tool like this one to do it without any registry editing manually: http://www.thewindow...dows-8-released

Pretty sure there are others like this out there, and there most likely be dozens more by the time Windows 8 is released officially.

EDIT: You can also use ViStart to add a 7 or Vista like Start Menu to Windows 8 (in classic view, obviously). You need to add a blank toolbar to your taskbar so that the start orb doesn't overlap with an icon on the taskbar, but other than that it's fairly straight forward.

NekuSoul

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I honestly have a hard time believing 54% of PC gamers don't run a 64-bit OS. PC gamers (such as myself) are the first to brag about how much better our technology is, or how much better PC gaming is. If you want a machine with over 4gb of RAM (Which is like standard nowadays, I think even most pre-builds come with 8gb) you need a 64-Bit OS to utilize it in the first place. I don't see a problem with it personally. Windows 8 on the other hand....Just no.
I think that could be right. I know many gamer that have very good machines, but they are still running on Windows PC. Everyone I know running Windows 7 already has 64Bit. So 64Bit isn't the Problem, it's more the good old XP which needs to say goodbye. :hateit:
Every single icon and box is simply too large for a desktop user. The interface feels large and unwieldy to me and is clearly designed from a Tablet standpoint with little regard for a desktop user.
Oh, it's definitely aimed for tablets, touchscreen monitors and portable computers, I can't argue with that. That said, Live Icons are really not a bad idea at all...
There is a good example that Metro can be good for PC's: The newly released Github for Windows. Even if it's not a Metro application and for Windows 7 and XP too, it features a Metro-like design which is IMO the best use for Metro designed Apps out there so far. What really bugs me about Metro is the missing of Multitasking. If you want to make a Metro-Video-Converter you don't have Multi-tasking which means the App must remain open during the conversion progress. The only exception is your Default-Browser, and only the Default-Browser. If you want to switch to another Browser you have to change your default Browser. Come on Microsoft what on Earth have you thought by doing this? :(

Jamstruth

Trophies
XP
Country
There is a good example that Metro can be good for PC's: The newly released Github for Windows. Even if it's not a Metro application and for Windows 7 and XP too, it features a Metro-like design which is IMO the best use for Metro designed Apps out there so far. What really bugs me about Metro is the missing of Multitasking. If you want to make a Metro-Video-Converter you don't have Multi-tasking which means the App must remain open during the conversion progress. The only exception is your Default-Browser, and only the Default-Browser. If you want to switch to another Browser you have to change your default Browser. Come on Microsoft what on Earth have you thought by doing this? :(
As much as I hate Metro they weren't THIS stupid in their design of the interface. If you go back to the start menu and launch another program the one before it is still running. Move your mouse to the top left corner of the screen then drag down the side. You will see all background programs including the Desktop if you launched it.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't understand the hate of the start (metro) screen. Just like I never understood the dislike of the start menu by mac and linux users.

For all intended proposes the start screen is just a replacement for the start menu. Nothing more nothing less. Switching between the two is no different then using the start menu in previous versions of windows. People just like to bitch at new things and changes.

NekuSoul

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As much as I hate Metro they weren't THIS stupid in their design of the interface. If you go back to the start menu and launch another program the one before it is still running. Move your mouse to the top left corner of the screen then drag down the side. You will see all background programs including the Desktop if you launched it.
I know that the App is still there because I use Win8 by myself. The App is still running, but when it isn't on the screen the whole App it gets suspended after 5 seconds in which the App has time to save it's state. If it's not done in 5 seconds the App get's killed. Microsoft says it's because "Energy Saving" things. -.-

I don't understand the hate of the start (metro) screen. Just like I never understood the dislike of the start menu by mac and linux users.

For all intended proposes the start screen is just a replacement for the start menu. Nothing more nothing less. Switching between the two is no different then using the start menu in previous versions of windows. People just like to bitch at new things and changes.
Yep, thats what many people doesn't see. The look changes, but the functionality remains the same. The new Metro-Startmenu is only faster at searching than the old.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know that the App is still there because I use Win8 by myself. The App is still running, but when it isn't on the screen the whole App it gets suspended after 5 seconds in which the App has time to save it's state. If it's not done in 5 seconds the App get's killed. Microsoft says it's because "Energy Saving" things. -.-
Well is plain and simple stupid. A PC isn't a phone or a tablet, and even on those devices there are better approaches than that for multitasking. If it is indeed as you say, it will have to change before Windows 8 RTM builds, or there will be a lot of anger from (potential) users.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
What? No, of course not! Its preview may not be updated but unless it was made to pause when its window is not active, it most certainly does not pause. Previous Windows editions also had only one active window.

D

Deleted User

haha windows 8. not after what i've read and heard about it.

-another world
You mean the immediate boost of performance and the possibility to disable Metro if you're a traditionalist? Try the consumer beta before you establish your opinion, it's pretty cool once you get used to it.

Microsoft has said repeatedly that you won't be able to turn of metro.

(...)

I can only hope for Microsoft, that there will be a hack to disable Metro. Otherwise nobody will get 8.
Metro UI can be enabled or disabled by changing a value in a single registery key:

Code:
Path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer
Key: RPEnabled 1 (change to 0 to disable Metro)

It's really not rocket science, and even if you don't know how to do it, there's this magical button on the UI called "Desktop", guess what it does? :P

That registry key only worked in the Developer Preview. Doesn't worked in the Consumer Preview and you're hopelessly optimistic if you think it'll work in the Release Preview or Final Build.
And granted, you can get back on the Desktop by pressing "Desktop", but to be able to launch apps not pinned to taskbar you have to use Metro to get to them.
Thankfully, I don't actually mind Metro so it isn't THAT big a deal for me but please do research before giving misinformation like "you can disable Metro using this!" when you can't.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You are correct, I mixed up the two versions, I stand corrected.

Back to the multitasking though, let me elaborate on the "made to suspend" part of my post. Let's say that you use Paint - its status does not change when inactive, thus the state is saved and the program suspends. Winrar does change its state when busy extracting, thus even when minimized, it does not suspend.

This way you save resources, use less energy and enhance performance. Can't see why anyone would want to keep an unused program active.

D

Deleted User

^ That's true, besides. if you really want to fully close the application, you can close Metro apps in Windows 8 by pressing Alt+F4 anyway, just like with any other program in any other Windows version, I really don't see the big deal some people about not having a close button.
The one thing I do dislike about Metro is that it fills the whole screen (I know that's the point and I'm sure it works wonders on tablets). When I launch an app I might still be viewing a video or something in a media player so having a full screen start menu isn't the best idea... I mean, granted I can pause, but launching an application shouldn't require me to pause a video anyway, it just adds more to the workflow.

Thankfully however there is this little beauty of a program: http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

It gives the classic Windows Start Orb back, but not the Windows 7 Start Menu (though there is an alternative that does if someone doesn't like Metro at all) - it gives a reduced-sized Metro screen that I feel is the perfect balance between Metro and Start Menu.

I really do think there should be an official "Disable Metro" option or call it "WIndows 7 Style" in the PC Settings menu. Because some of us would like to have the enhanced performance and general under-the-hood changes of Windows 8 without having to put up with something that doesn't work completely for us.

NekuSoul

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
What? No, of course not! Its preview may not be updated but unless it was made to pause when its window is not active, it most certainly does not pause. Previous Windows editions also had only one active window.
Read it by yourself: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/04/17/reclaiming-memory-from-metro-style-apps.aspx

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well, if you really want to use multiple windows at once, you can launch the programs in question and go to desktop mode, again, this is a non-issue. Like it was said previously, Metro is the evolution of the start menu, not abandoning the desktop.

The way I would fix the issue is putting the orb back where it was and have it launch Metro - keeping the cursor in the corner is sometimes dodgy and not always works, at least in my case. I would put the previews on the bottom task bar, removing the second corner which also tends to work only whenever it really wants. The rest works just fine to me. :)

Edit: Neko, re-read the article. The quote clearly states that Windows attempts to repurpose memory only when it desperedly needs it, scans for programs with allocated memory that did not change their state in a long period of time and in the worst-case scenario when no programs are idle, it pages memory using a pagefile. This doesn't mean that programs which are active become suspended, it means that their memory requests are carefuly managed and the focus is always put on the active application - Windows is doing this since XP I believe, this is just a more elaborate interpretation.

D

Deleted User

Metro is the evolution of the start menu, not abandoning the desktop
Whoa, hold on now. If that were the case why are Microsoft pushing Metro applications so much?
They haven't got rid of the desktop in Windows 8, because customers won't be used to Metro. But that doesn't mean they won't in Windows 9/10/11/whatever, when people are comfortable with the Metro interface enough..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night