Windows 11. Yay or Nay?

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
All I heard about it is "Windows is trying to catch up with Linux. Switch to Linux"
You heard wrong, Microsoft is trying to create a <<new breed>> of linux-like S.O. but in his own way, a Frankenstein's Monster like between Windows and Linux Kernel, using his own Shell called PowerShell which MS has been forced on several OSes now.

Last edited by impeeza,
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Windows 10 is already irritating enough with their mandatory updates that constantly modify functionality and appearance. Intuition is telling me that they aren't taking a different approach in Windows 11, so personally I'm running Windows 10 until EOL.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Windows 10 is already irritating enough with their mandatory updates that constantly modify functionality and appearance. Intuition is telling me that they aren't taking a different approach in Windows 11, so personally I'm running Windows 10 until EOL.
You can change some of that if you have Professional edition using GPEdit.

Reactions: smf

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not at the moment, apparently I have unsupported hardware for the update, maybe in the future though!

You just need to create the AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU key

https://www.askvg.com/tip-bypass-wi...nts-check-to-install-on-unsupported-hardware/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-11-e0edbbfb-cfc5-4011-868b-2ce77ac7c70e

You can change some of that if you have Professional edition using GPEdit.

Any kind of computer enthusiast should be running Pro.

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: Dr_Faustus

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
I honestly don't like several changes Microsoft made to Windows 11 (Not being able to move the taskbar, making it harder to switch the default apps, etc.) so I switched to Pop!_OS on my laptop just about 12 days ago and it has been nothing but amazing for me. I'm pretty much able to do all my university works on it so I don't think I will ever install Windows again, unless they require us to use so. Additionally, once I get a desktop built (or a pre-built, it's hard to find parts here), I also plan on getting Pop!_OS on it and then maybe turn my laptop into a tinkering machine.

Reactions: DudderButter

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I tried android subsystem. Nothing to see; It's a VM not a compatibility layer. We already had that 2015. I don't see any reason to upgrade for anyone, although for me it fixed my bootloader it uninstalled GRUB on a computer that cannot install from usb or other media.

g00s3y

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are a gamer, hold off on upgrading, there is no point.
If you have an AMD CPU, hold off on upgrading.
If you only do office work, & have an Intel CPU, upgrade.

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are third party utilities such as ShutUp 10+:
https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10
While third party utilities might have an edge in usability and easy function I tend to not rely on them too much either because they stop support on it and/or because there's something sketchy in it. Plus given my job the task of modifying the OS is trivial when you are face deep in the registry enough times fixing or modifying shit.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
While third party utilities might have an edge in usability and easy function I tend to not rely on them too much either because they stop support on it and/or because there's something sketchy in it. Plus given my job the task of modifying the OS is trivial when you are face deep in the registry enough times fixing or modifying shit.

The main reason I mentioned ShutUp 10+ was because it’s not exclusive to Professional and potentially more casual friendly as opposed to GPEdit.

SkepticalTombstone

Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
I've been using win11 for like a month now and it's SO MUCH better than win 10. Why? Because it actually fucking works instead of somethings going wrong every 2 seconds

Psycho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
been using win 11 for about a week now, so far so good. no major performance changes. games run well, and older desktop applications have better compatibility than i expected

people like to complain about new things because new things are new. but win 11 is super clean looking 😍 and, dare i say, one of the most functionally sound versions of windows in a long time (at the time of writing this lol)

Reactions: Lacius

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Ohkay