Windows 10 x64/Windows 7 x64 - HDD Security/Access Question please.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello,my fellow Windows Experts.:)

I have installed Windows 10 Pro x64 as main Operating System.
To bring up a Video Editing Device to work,I needed Windows 7 on the same PC so I decided to make a Dual Boot and
installed Windows 7 Pro x64 on the Second HDD (Drive Letter D) - (started the Installation from within Windows 10)
(By the Way,the Mainboard has the standard BIOS - no UEFI).

Unfortunately,it did not worked as wished,so I "deleted" the Windows 7 the Entry in the Boot Up Menu und deleted the Windows 7 Folder(s) on Drive D
Everything seemed ok until I dowloaded something and wanted to save it on the Second/D HDD.

"The Client miss required right"
(Dem Client fehlt erforderliches Recht)

On the second Attempt it works.
The same when I start a Program/Tool from D

It seems not really a "System Problem" and everything works.Sometimes I need to run the Tools/Programs as Administrator first.
So it seems it not really affects the System.On the C: Drive with Windows 10 everything works as before,no Issue.

Does someone know please,is there a "needed" Security Setting for this ? :unsure:
In the Security Settings for the D Drive my Accounts (Anwender/Administrator/System) have all the Rights "Full Control" (Vollzugriff).

Thank you for your Advises and your Help.:)

Last edited by Alexander1970,

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hello,my fellow Windows Experts.:)

I have installed Windows 10 Pro x64 as main Operating System.
To bring up a Video Editing Device to work,I needed Windows 7 on the same PC so I decided to make a Dual Boot and
installed Windows 7 Pro x64 on the Second HDD (Drive Letter D) - (started the Installation from within Windows 10)
(By the Way,the Mainboard has the standard BIOS - no UEFI).

Unfortunately,it did not worked as wished,so I "deleted" the Windows 7 the Entry in the Boot Up Menu und deleted the Windows 7 Folder(s) on Drive D
Everything seemed ok until I dowloaded something and wanted to save it on the Second/D HDD.

"The Client miss required right"
(Dem Client fehlt erforderliches Recht)

On the second Attempt it works.
The same when I start a Program/Tool from D

It seems not really a "System Problem" and everything works.Sometimes I need to run the Tools/Programs as Administrator first.
So it seems it not really affects the System.On the C: Drive with Windows 10 everything works as before,no Issue.

Does someone know please,is there a "needed" Security Setting for this ? :unsure:
In the Security Settings for the D Drive my Accounts (Anwender/Administrator/System) have all the Rights "Full Control" (Vollzugriff).

Thank you for your Advises and your Help.:)
what driver software doesn't work on windows 10 but works on 7? since it should be convertable in most cases...
since UEFI is off, secure boot is off aswell..
windows 10 and 7 use the same way to boot what could be the problem is they identify the same way.
rights in windows shouldn't affect other OSes specially if from boot on they're differently installed.
just windows 7 might call drive D different then windows 10.
i'm at a blank as to why, but i don't see any driver/application that should be a problem to windows 10 if it worked in 7.
might though need a driver signer

Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.:)

what driver software doesn't work on windows 10 but works on 7? since it should be convertable in most cases...
since UEFI is off, secure boot is off aswell..
windows 10 and 7 use the same way to boot what could be the problem is they identify the same way.
rights in windows shouldn't affect other OSes specially if from boot on they're differently installed.
just windows 7 might call drive D different then windows 10.
i'm at a blank as to why, but i don't see any driver/application that should be a problem to windows 10 if it worked in 7.
might though need a driver signer

Thank you for your Answer and your Help.:)

The Device is a Video Capture USB 2.0 Device from an "Discounter" in Austria.Latest available Drivers are for Windows 7.
So very old I think but useful as you can read below.
The Driver is not the Issue,the Device is installed correctly but I encountered many other "Troubles"
Some Frame drops/the ready captured Video has "Freezes" and Picture Disortions,I have tried Video Repair Tools,but they found no Errors) during Capture from an Analog Source (VHS Recorder).
I think the PC is "powerful" enough for the Video Capture.:D
https://gbatemp.net/entry/the-pc-is-doing-a-good-job-since-2010.15920/

Also I think it was more the Nvidia Driver in Combination with the Capture Software than the Driver from the Device.:(
I think the Device should work under Windows 10 too but not with my Combination.

So I have tried it in another PC
(Windows 7 x64 Pro,Xenon Quad Core CPU,8 GB Ram,also "powerful" enough I think) and everthing works fine.
No Drop outs,no Freezes.This Configuration works now.:)
Latest "Work:

(Self Recorded VHS Cassette,I believe 25 Years or older.:lol:).

So I am ok with this Configuration now,only my Question for this "Security Message" in my first Post left now.:D

Thank you.:)

JaapDaniels

Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
well, i had isseus random with such device , speed of recorded video's were inconsistent and there was unsync audio with it, i don't know if my parents still have the piece, but i had better work with a thought it was supertech brand, 6 heads VHS and DVD-recorder in one. and the DVD's were cheap as it can be..
since what you've got is a simple analogue to digital converter at best or better said most likely at least 4 of them in one, you could try vind a simulair looking divice for driver. i doubt it's got anything special inside that can get damaged, just look at the PID in http://www.nirsoft.net USBDeview to vind a maybe matching device driver for windows 10 by googling.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
So, NTFS has something known as filesystem attributes. These vary immensely between 7 and 10, and will cause problems when trying to access a drive on 10 that has NT permission attributes from a 7 installation. Try running this (with admin privileges) on the drive and see if it helps. It'll reset and fix all the permissions for the drive.
Code:
cd D:\
icacls * /t /q /c /reset

Last edited by Joom,

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
So, NTFS has something known as filesystem attributes. These vary immensely between 7 and 10, and will cause problems when trying to access a drive on 10 that has NT permission attributes from a 7 installation. Try running this (with admin privileges) on the drive and see if it helps. It'll reset and fix all the permissions for the drive.
Code:
cd D:\
icacls * /t /q /c /reset

Thank you for this Advise and your Help.:)

I tried it and it says:

Boot: Zugriff verweigert (Access denied)
bootmgr: Zugriff verweigert (Access denied)

:sad:

But I think this is the right Way,I see there are many Switches for "icacls".....

I will look a little deeper into.

Thank you.:)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it is an old drive not needed any more (and you don't want to format it*) then I would usually also chuck a Takeown into that command as well as fiddling with iacls
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/takeown
or
https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/takeown

When it says Access denied just to make sure you are in the admin command line and not the normal version
https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/2-ways-to-run-command-prompt-as-administrator-in-win-10.html

*boot from a Linux livecd (they tend to ignore tricky file system issues), copy everything you want to an external, and then format before copying back. Tedious but usually solves most issues like this.

Joom

 ❤❤❤
Trophies
Website
mogbox.net
XP
Country
United States
If it is an old drive not needed any more (and you don't want to format it*) then I would usually also chuck a Takeown into that command as well as fiddling with iacls
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/takeown
or
https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/takeown

When it says Access denied just to make sure you are in the admin command line and not the normal version
https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/2-ways-to-run-command-prompt-as-administrator-in-win-10.html

*boot from a Linux livecd (they tend to ignore tricky file system issues), copy everything you want to an external, and then format before copying back. Tedious but usually solves most issues like this.
I knew I was forgetting something. I had this exact problem with an external drive that used to house all my user data, and I remembered icacls, but something in the back of my mind was telling me there was a second command. And yeah, doing a format is definitely the easier route to take provided you have the necessary backup storage.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

or

I knew I was forgetting something. I had this exact problem with an external drive that used to house all my user data, and I remembered icacls, but something in the back of my mind was telling me there was a second command. And yeah, doing a format is definitely the easier route to take provided you have the necessary backup storage.

Thank you both for the "easiest" Solution.:)

I will "leave" it for the Moment,the next Windows 10 "fresh Installation" will come for sure in the next Weeks.:D

This icacls Command is really "interesting".
I tried something and after a Re-Boot both Recycle Bins where damaged.:rofl2:
(Fixed after the next Re-Boot).

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried running the command mentioned by @Joom using the Nsudo? Launch cmd or powershell using Nsudo as system with all privilege ticked and issue the command again to see what would happen.
Please don't risk your data especially if it is important.

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria

Have you tried running the command mentioned by @Joom using the Nsudo? Launch cmd or powershell using Nsudo as system with all privilege ticked and issue the command again to see what would happen.
Please don't risk your data especially if it is important.

Thank you for your Help.:)

If you mean that Toolkit:
https://m2team.github.io/NSudo/en-us/Download.html

No,I do not used/tried it.
Looks interesting and "dangerous" too.:rofl2:

Thank you,I will have a closer "Look" on this Tool.:)

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Yep, that's the one.
It can be a dangerous tool, if used improperly.
You're welcome. :)

Looks good,now the Command Switches from @Joom works..it will take a little Time I think....:)

Thank you both for your great Help !!! :yay:

Reactions: RandomUser and Joom

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM