Windows 10 free for all Windows 8.1 and 7 users for first year after release

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by DjoeN, Jan 21, 2015.

1. DjoeN
    OP

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!
    http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...ndows-8-1-and-windows-7-users-for-first-year/

[EDIT]
    I just wonder what will happen if you need to reïnstall after a year?
    - First install your Windows 7/8.1, then upgrade?
    - Or will you be able to download an iso with a new code generated so you can reïnstall later whenever you want?

2. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Wow, this is pretty nice.

I should purchase a new tower because the one I'm using right now uses Pentium 4 and lags sometimes (on YouTube mainly), plus new towers aren't too expensive for standard use.

3. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Yes but they chose their words very carefully. Its not actually sign up within a year and get it for free, its signup and get a years license. once that license expires in a year it locks down tighter than a nuns vagina and you have to pay for a full license

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  4. DjoeN
    OP

DjoeN Captain Haddock!

Oct 21, 2005
    Belgium
    Somewhere in this potatoland!

Yeah was thinking the same (except for the nun and v****a stuff :P )

Think i have to speak with my boss about getting to use there VLC license on it then (Like it is now for Windows 8.1) :P , 90% of work i do on my pc is for work :)

Dyne115 likes this.
  5. WiiCube_2013

WiiCube_2013 GBAtemp Guru

Oct 19, 2013
    Gaza Strip
    Oh, that's not really a great deal then. :-/

Microsoft giving an OS upgrade free for a lifetime? Dunno why I expected that.

6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    I doubt it. Also, for Win7->8 there was this whole temporary 20$ upgrade deal. This is probably the same thing, but a bit more extreme.

7. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    This isn't new news. They already explained this would be the case when Windows 10 was first announced. Having Windows 8.1, I definitely intend to make the update though.

Margen67 likes this.
  8. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Sounds completely free to me. After the first year any upgrades from 7 or 8.1 will cost to some degree. That's what I've picked out of it. I'm not seeing anything anywhere about subscription. It's not looking to be an extended 1-year trial then pay to use.

9. xBleedingSoulx

xBleedingSoulx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    I think Arras as is right, I got Windows 8 Upgrade for £25 with the offer on release, not just a years trial, can't see this being any different.

10. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Doubt it all you like but I did watch the keynote, anyway where would the business sense be in spending 100's of thousands if not millions on a product and then just giving it away for free.

No company in their right mind would do this, the only people who would pay for a license would be OEM's or people still rocking vista or xp, seeing as the majority of users now have windows 7 or above this would make absolutely no sense from a buisness point of view and although wouldnt bankrupt them would put a big dent in their stock price which wouldn't impress the shareholders very much and at the end of the day all buisness just want to keep their share holders happy.

I'm sure it will probably be discounted after the first year, but I guarantee from what I saw you have to pay something

Use your brain before you speak.

11. Digital.One.Entity

Digital.One.Entity Banned

Banned
    Jan 19, 2015
    United States
    Right Here
    At least they is Integrating XboxOne Games across Devices.........yay Windows Phone :mellow:

12. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    So, you're going to belittle someone? Why? He just pointed something out. It just contradicted your statement. Wasn't any sort of insult.

Given what we can read, it looks to be completely free. No mention of what you've claimed.

As it's written it claims the upgrade is free for 7/8.1 users for the first year. After that any upgrades from the previous generation will likely cost.

13. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    Touche, I apologise for the belittling it was uncalled for

Memoir likes this.
  14. xBleedingSoulx

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    To be honest, you are wrong.

Microsoft's chief blogger Brandon LeBlanc also confirmed that Microsoft will support those who scored a free upgrade to Windows 10 with security and system updates for the lifetime of those Windows 8.1 devices.

15. yusuo

yusuo GBAtemp Addict

Oct 19, 2006
    If I am wrong then I will put my hand up and admit im wrong, but the way they described it in the conference was that it would only be free for the first year not the lifetime,

16. xBleedingSoulx

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    The way I heard it was that it's free to upgrade for anyone on Windows 8.1 in the first year after the Windows 10 release, once that year is up, anyone wishing to upgrade has to pay. The quote from Brandon LeBlanc just seems to confirm that.

Margen67 likes this.
  17. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    The upgrade for 7/8.1 users. Yes. Once you acquire the upgrade, you will have full access to 10 for the lifetime of the device. Not the first year. The claim is that the first year is for the upgrade to be free.

Margen67 likes this.
  18. Subtle Demise

Subtle Demise h

Sep 17, 2009
    United States
    It'll probably still be pirated by millions all over the world anyway, so whether it's a one-year trial or not shouldn't hurt them too much.

19. VashTS

VashTS Beat it, son

Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    Upstate NY
    windows 10 loader incoming

Margen67 likes this.
  20. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC