Windows 10 ARM teased running unofficially on a Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by RattletraPM, Mar 3, 2019.

1. DSpider

DSpider GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 14, 2015
    Romania
    x86 programs - which is 99.99% of Windows programs (and games) do not run on ARM. If you were hoping for a browser on Windows 10 ARM, just go with Linux. The Switch is closer to an Nvidia Shield and at least you'll get more driver support that way.

Memoir likes this.
  2. NoNAND

NoNAND Spirit of the steppe

Aug 22, 2015
    Albania
    Scythia
    Finally something that isn't Linux!
    looking forward to this one.

3. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    It has the same potential of being useful as Android or Linux, it just needs proper driver support and for now, none of these ports do, it's a shame, especially for Linux as it'd be my OS of choice if it were usable without hassles (lack of many drivers including audio make it unattractive to me and a lot of other people). Linux is still probably the most advanced but I have more faith in the Android switch port as there is more popular demand on this one than on all the others...

Last edited by Idaho, Mar 4, 2019
  4. DaveLister

DaveLister GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 27, 2018
    Afghanistan
    lv426
    Would be nice to see one switch on Kali one on win 10 . Script wars, watch as one switch slays the other .

saltyCake likes this.
  5. Bladexdsl

Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Nov 17, 2008
    Australia
    Queensland
    great now you'll be able to get windows malware installed on your switch. better come up with an adblockplus for switch boyz :creep:

6. Minox

Minox Thanks for the fish

Former Staff
    Aug 27, 2007
    Japan
    I think you're missing something about Windows 10 on ARM. It's specifically built to be native Windows running on an ARM architecture with an x86 emulator layer allowing for normal Windows applications to run as well. Since it's emulation it's not going to be fast, but they do run.

ry755, wicksand420, filfat and 3 others like this.
  7. Seriel

Seriel ឵Thank you title very cool

GBAtemp Patron
    Seriel is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 18, 2015
    Antarctica
    But they do? x86 applications (NOT x86_64 ones) run on Windows 10 ARM with moderate degrees of success. Anything graphically intensive probably won't work so don't expect Steam or Firefox/Chrome, but anything else should work without too many problems. Also Windows 10 ARM is pretty new at the moment, given time I'm sure most of these issues will be resolved (Probably when ARM Windows laptops hit mainstream more than they already have and third-parties start supporting them with ARM builds. As an example, Chrome on Windows ARM is already under development.)
    Also, Microsoft Edge is a browser. Which supports ARM. So there is a browser, just maybe not one you agree with (But still a browser!).

None of this justifies any reasonable use for a functioning Windows on ARM, but why should that matter in the first place. Most of these ports are just developers having fun, leave them to it and use whatever results of that which you want to use.

EmBlaze and filfat like this.
  8. Tomobobo

Tomobobo Champion.

Nov 26, 2005
    United States
    People confuse Windows 10 ARM with Windows Mobile and get all snarky.

9. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
    Oh, this might be an excuse for me to take me switch out of its plastic wrapper!

10. Brayton

Brayton GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2016
    United States
    Can I run microsoft bob on arm? hahaha

11. Idaho

Idaho GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 3, 2013
    France
    Afaik Microsoft BOB works on Windows 95 and you can easily create a VM to run it from Linux, so you can theorically have it on your Switch, it should run properly :rofl2:

Last edited by Idaho, Mar 4, 2019
  12. Brayton

Brayton GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2016
    United States
    Eh, too much work.

13. huntertron1

huntertron1 a simple youtuber that is trying to survive

Oct 28, 2017
    United States
    interesting...

14. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    what, windows running on something that isn't windows 95 running on dosbox on a gba emulator running on a psp emulator, running on an android emulator at 1 frame per hour :O

Last edited by gamesquest1, Mar 4, 2019
    ry755 and Memoir like this.
  15. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    At this point, I have more hope for Android getting stable support for emulation and staying in homebrew with as few headaches as possible, so I hope that Android Q port gets to where we can download Retroarch and Reicast from the Play Store and skip all of the hassle and headache of waiting for ports developed for Horizon and jumping through its hoops to get the best performance out of homebrew when Android has more apps made for it than a proprietary OS.

Idaho and Pleng like this.
  16. Forgotten_Email

Forgotten_Email Member

Newcomer
    Mar 3, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Manchester, England
    Cool for a proof-of-concept thing but you'll get more use out of linux as linux devs tend to include ARM versions of their software. I'll pass on this but still impressive though

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

no one's gonna use this, it's more for seeing what random crap we can shove on the thing

If anyone uses this beyond seeing how good it is or messing around, you're pretty dumb just use the linux port dammit

17. moonblood666

moonblood666 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2014
    Gambia, The
    How big is the impact on the performance due to emulating x86? I wonder if much less hardware consuming games like visual novels would run. I have a fairly weak and cheap Win 10 tablet, bought 3 1/2 years ago for 50€ and can run basically every VN I throw at it. But it would be nice if the Switch could do it as well.

Last edited by moonblood666, Mar 4, 2019
  18. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo SkyTom

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    It's not great, CPU-based tasks are incredibly slow on a Snapdragon 835 which is basically the Qualcomm equivalent of a Tegra X1 (CPU wise anyways). You'll still need native GPU drivers, too, to take advantage of the X1's GPU, which probably won't happen all too soon.

19. saltyCake

saltyCake Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 10, 2019
    Germany
    Germany
    Now we have Windows 10 on ARM on the Nintendo Switch (yay i guess).
    It may be not usefull because Windows and ARM are not really going together. But it is impressive that the switch can run so many Operating Systems already! The switch seems to be the best homebrew system ever in exsistence!

Last edited by saltyCake, Mar 5, 2019
  20. CaptainHIT

CaptainHIT GBAtemp Regular

Mar 2, 2011
    Turkey
    Bursa
    I'd like to try that!