MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So I have Vista Home Basic, and I'm trying my hardest to get an Aero-style effect. However, so far I can only get the Windows key and Tab to get the incredible window chooser thing and the thing where it displays a small preview of the window when you mouse over it on the taskbar. Still, the window transparency is what I need. What program can I use to get it? I've tried TrueTransparency but I don't like how it changes the window title text to only 4 themes. And WindowBlinds is just crap.

Any help would be appreciated.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
strata8 said:
QUOTE said:
So I have Vista Home Basic...
There's your problem.
I could've told you that. But I'm not spending $200 more for a better Vista, and downupgrading to XP would void my warranty I paid an arm and a leg for. My aim is to emulate Aero without hacking or buying anything.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Skyline969 said:
strata8 said:
QUOTE said:
So I have Vista Home Basic...
There's your problem.
I could've told you that. But I'm not spending $200 more for a better Vista, and downupgrading to XP would void my warranty I paid an arm and a leg for. My aim is to emulate Aero without hacking or buying anything.
ok let me get this straight:
u have vista basic
u don't wanna spend anymore money
u don't wanna hack anything (thus voiding ur warranty)
u don't wanna emulate it (via windowsblinds for example)

so what? u want aero to appear out of the fuckin sky or something?

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
strata8 said:
Well, I know you've already said it's crap, but Windowblinds is your best (if not only) option. :/
But you have to pay for Windowblinds... screw that.
tongue.gif

@da_head: No, but it IS possible to get such features through other programs. I just don't like Windowblinds. Emulating is fine, just not through shareware crap. I'm going totally freeware.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't the UXTheme patching allow you to use aero enabled skins or am I wrong? I don't know if you could find the default Vista theme though. Or it'll use the basic versions of those skins?

You could always try some registry edit but it's risky. I don't even know if it works as I have Home Premium anyways.

Let me google that for you!

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I don't know about UXTheme patching. I don't know if that will void my warranty or not. I just want a simple program that will enable transparency in my window borders.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ok if u don't mind "hacking", which involves fuckin around with ur registry for a bit, try this out:
Enable Aero Glass

go to search and type in regedit

Regedit:
HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/DWM/

Composition = 1
CompositionPolicy = 2

Right click Command Prompt and run as admin:

net stop uxsms
net start uxsms

Done!
i have no idea if it works and don't blame me if it fucks anything up

o and this in no way voids ur warranty as it is perfectly reversible.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
@da_head: I've heard a lot of people say that doesn't work. Believe me, I've googled the hell out of this topic.
tongue.gif

@AGENT: TrueTransparency does work, but it changes the window title text which I don't like. VistaGlazz appears to be a UX Theme patcher, which I don't exactly want to get into.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Skyline969 said:
@da_head: I've heard a lot of people say that doesn't work. Believe me, I've googled the hell out of this topic.
tongue.gif

@AGENT: TrueTransparency does work, but it changes the window title text which I don't like. VistaGlazz appears to be a UX Theme patcher, which I don't exactly want to get into.
back up ur registry and try. u have nothing to lose..

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
There really isn't a program that is good compared to hacking Windows/patching it. Windows Blinds might give comparable visuals, but you didn't really want that and I think that could slow down performance. Other than the options listed above I haven't seen a program all that great or any better.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Well, doesn't seem that window transparency is possible without WindowBlinds, hacking, or using TrueTransparency. However, if one could find a good theme for TrueTransparency, it might be tolerable.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Firedrake1 said:
@da_head what about this site are you talking about? the very clear warnings against discussing direct piracy?
we can discuss as much piracy as we wish. discussing illegal stuff is allowed, just doing it isn't. (such as linking to rom sites and such). though if i'm wrong, wth are flashkarts and wii soft modding all about? homebrews right?
smileipb2.png

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end