Hacking Wind Waker Arc files and how to replace them

Errorjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How can I replace arc files on Wind Waker for it to run on the Wii? I'm unable to edit the .arc and find a tool to do so. I'm trying to replace maps and maybe even textures.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Don't make two threads for your problem. Be patient and wait for someone to answer your other thread first. However, seeing how I have an answer and I'm posting here anyways, I'll request the other be closed.

In general, to extract contents from a RARC (.arc) archive, you need to use yaz0dec (to Yaz0-decode the .arc file and turn it into a .rarc file) and rarcdump (to dump the contents of the .rarc file into a new folder).

Next time try a little Googling, took me like 2 minutes to find the answer.

Reactions: 1 person

Errorjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would I reinsert it into the ISO again, GCTool says
"Error: C:\Users\Errorjack\Desktop\Wii\GC\H_Test\Room0.arc is bigger than original file.
I can't replace smaller files with a bigger one."

Errorjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC WW texture hacks only work with Dolphin Emulator, and from what I've read I find that to be the case.

EDIT: Meaning you can't repack the textures into the ISO.

I'm not trying to edit textures in this edit, I'm trying to switch maps around. I also know it's possible to put NEW maps into the game because of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY9m5wvmejU

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Where does it say he put the textures into the actual ISO? I'm pretty sure he's using DOLPHIN for the hack.

From what I read in the description, all he did was make a quick texture map of a test area that was already on the disc that didn't have any textures for it. He didn't insert it into the ISO, he used Dolphin to load it as an alternative to the blank textures.

EDIT: Basically meaning all you should have to do is switch the texture maps of the two levels, and play it in Dolphin where it should work fine.

Errorjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Where does it say he put the textures into the actual ISO? I'm pretty sure he's using DOLPHIN for the hack.

From what I read in the description, all he did was make a quick texture map of a test area that was already on the disc that didn't have any textures for it. He didn't insert it into the ISO, he used Dolphin to load it as an alternative to the blank textures.

Read this please.
Code:
I took the Google SketchUp model, converted it to a .3ds format and used blank's .3ds to .bdl converter.
The converter can only use a few textures when converting so I used a green texture since it was suppose to be a forest.
I then used the converted model to replace the older stranger model file that causes the game to crash and the end result is what you see in the video.
Since the debut of the SpaceWorld 2001 trailer, this room is both visible and playable in game for the first time.

So to be technical and accurate, the green model present in the video isn't actually present on the GameCube disk.
I just created it so I could see where I was going but everything else about the room is indeed unused in the final retail version of the game
​He took the collision of the corrupt map, converted it into Google Sketchup. The most important part is "
The converter can only use a few textures when converting so I used a green texture". It's a new map.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
A map is essentially a combination of textures and collision points. The collision points were already there, he just edited the old broken texture file and replaced it with a green one. You're saying you want to just switch maps around...what for? Like, I don't get what you're trying to do. Explain in detail.

Errorjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A map is essentially a combination of textures and collision points. The collision points were already there, he just edited the old broken texture file and replaced it with a green one. You're saying you want to just switch maps around...what for? Like, I don't get what you're trying to do. Explain in detail.

He didn't replace a broken texture. The whole map was damaged(Quote"older stranger model file that causes the game to crash") which is means he made a whole new map OUT OF the collision.

I'm trying to replace a test map with a map that the Debug Map Select doesn't list. i'm not sure how they loaded the maps but replacing listed maps with non listed ones seem the easiest way of getting there.

Badablek

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Errorjack, if you want to replace files with bigger ones, you need to rebuild the ISO
you can do that with "GameCube Rebuilder" (1.0). The ISO must be totally extracted on your computer, then replace the file(s) you want. Finally, do the following in GCR :

"Root > Open"
choose the "root" folder of the extracted ISO

"Root > Save"
choose a name and an extension for your ISO

"Root > Rebuild"
wait until everything is written

you're done

Errorjack

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Errorjack, if you want to replace files with bigger ones, you need to rebuild the ISO
you can do that with "GameCube Rebuilder" (1.0). The ISO must be totally extracted on your computer, then replace the file(s) you want. Finally, do the following in GCR :

"Root > Open"
choose the "root" folder of the extracted ISO

"Root > Save"
choose a name and an extension for your ISO

"Root > Rebuild"
wait until everything is written

you're done

Thanks! I'm able to play the unplayable maps now!
ww1.jpg

ww2.jpg

ww3.jpg

ww4.jpg

Cuber456

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Errorjack, if all you wanted was to switch around some maps so you could play the unused maps left in the game, why didn't you say so? I would have been happy to tell you how to do that if you messaged me on youtube. For what you are doing though, I wouldn't even recommend switching around the maps and making a new ISO because that is too much work. If it were me, I would use a gameshark code to load the debug menu and load the unused map from there like I did in my video you posted here. You can access most of the unused maps from there. The code for the debug menu is listed on the Wind Waker page on the tcrf. You could also use an exit modifier gameshark code listed here to access ALL of the unused maps.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning