Win7 Anytime-Upgrade with OEM license possible???

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by CosmoCortney, Dec 14, 2013.

1. CosmoCortney
    OP

CosmoCortney The Hacker Furry

Apr 18, 2013
    Germany
    on the cool side of the pillow
    Hi,
    I have Windows 7 Home Premium installed and like to upgrade to Ultimate, without reinstalling the OS.
    An Any Time Upgrade license code is pretty expensive compared to an OEM License + Disk.

Does someone know if I can use the Dell OEM License code an an Any Time Upgrade license??

2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Other than the ability to join domains (and the things that come with it) and use more than 16 gigs of RAM what does Ultimate do for you that you can not replicate (often quite simply) with other software?

At this point I would probably just go for a wipe and reload anyway so I am afraid I am not sure what goes as far as your question is concerned.

3. CosmoCortney
    OP

Apr 18, 2013
    Germany
    I need ultimate to be able to use the second cpu and more than 16gb ram.

But I have Home Premium installed (I just took the key from my old pc to the new one) and would like to upgrade to Ultimate.
    The control panal offers the option called Windows Anytime Upgrade.
    There I can enter an Anytime Upgrade key. My question simply is, if I can use an OEM key from dell to upgrade. (I'd save 120€ then..)

I could reinstall windows completely also. but I don't really like to reinstall all the programs and reconfigure everything.

4. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    OEM keys cannot be used for upgrades, only one-time installs. They're cheaper because they have more restrictions in the licensing terms, and less support. There's even a clause that get support, you have to seek the OEM instead of asking Microsoft. I found that kinda funny when installing it on a friends new gaming PC.

There's no reason I see why you can't just get the OEM key and do a fresh install.

CosmoCortney likes this.
  5. CosmoCortney
    OP

Apr 18, 2013
    Germany
    Ok, thanks so far.
    I'd like to avoid doing a fresh reinstallation, because it was kinda stressful to configure everything with the LSI Raids. the Drives are dynamic drives, so I can use them as raid-0s. And I don't want to rewrite almost 7TB of data again (I have everything backed up to old HDDs. but it takes hours to rewrite so much data.. + reinstalling all tools and reconfiguring..).
    I had the problem that a dynamic drive hasn't been recognized after reinstalling the OS, once before.

EDIT: I got my OEM disk today. before reinstalling windows completely I tried entering the key of the OEM license.. why not trying it?

and the upgrade worked fine :D