Win10 - Activation server deemed my product key as invalid

Discussion in 'Computer Software and Operating Systems' started by DiscostewSM, Oct 25, 2015.

1. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    I boot up my laptop today, that was upgraded to Win10 from Win 8.1 months ago and was working since then, and I see a message saying "Activate Windows". I check what that's all about, considering I had it activated long ago, and I'm now given this.

Error code: 0xC004C003
    Error description: The activation server determined the specified product key has been blocked.

So I go to the store to check its validity, but what find is that they expect me to pay $200 for my Win 10 Pro copy. What sort of prank are they pulling, allowing me to upgrade to Win 10 for free from my legit Win 8.1 copy, and then slapping me with this? I got my Win8.1 copy from my school years ago, same place I got my legit Windows copy for my desktop, and my desktop doesn't have any problems with Win10.

I did have to do a system restore the other day because something screwy was happening with my WiFi, but the restore point was from a few days ago. The WiFi works now, but could that have been the cause of this?

I don't know what to do.

2. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
    Seeing as you got a laptop with a legit copy, with 8.1 at that, you may still under be warranty. Ask the customer service of where you bought it.

3. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    My laptop is from late 2011. It came with Win 7. I highly doubt it's still under warranty.

I installed a copy of Win 8.1 that I got through my school via MSDNAA.

4. Selim873

Selim873 Nunnayobeesnes

Jul 31, 2010
    United States
    Chillin' with Bob Ross
  5. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Your best bet might be to contact MS customer support directly.
    You could also try going back to the Windows 7 install that came with your laptop, and upgrade to Windows 10 again.

6. Patxinco

Patxinco Riding a Shooting Star

Apr 18, 2011
    I've read that now, if you update your BIOS, w10 sees it like a change of motherboard, so invalides the key, even if it's original.
    Solutions where to put the original 8.1 key again and validate.
    Hope it works

7. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    I'd have to agree with @Patxinco , it sounds like some kind of motherboard change. Anyone who got the free update to Win10 (including myself) can get locked out of our legit copies because of changes to motherboard hardware or BIOS. This is because these Win10 copies act like OEM installs, so any changes made to that hardware can kill it.

8. DiscostewSM
    OP

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

Feb 10, 2009
    United States
    Sacramento, California
    Just got off the phone with a representative. They tried to fix with via remote, but they were unable to. So they basically requested that I do what some of you are saying. Reinstall Win8.1, and then do the upgrade to Win10 (after which I'll do a clean reinstall once activation is settled).

Hadn't touched the BIOS, nor any drivers/hardware, so I really don't know why it's doing this. Anyways, I guess I gotta go through this process. Better back up my stuff, record my programs, and then be off. This is unfortunate though because if it happened once, it might happen again, but the next time, it may be outside of the free upgrade period (unless their servers have my product key, so it might not matter).

Thanks all.

9. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    Good luck. And I believe the free upgrade period is a year from the Win10 release date.

SomeGamer likes this.