50.0%
  3. Possibly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2 voter(s)
  1. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    I disagree with your statements. I'm going to tackle your statements with opportunity cost and money circulation (Economic topics)

Opportunity cost -

Let's say I have $40 in my wallet. I can do 3 things with it. I can spend it on a video game. I can spend it on other merchandise. I can also deposit it into my savings account for interest. As you know in economic, we not only look at the explicit cost (cost in terms of number), we also look at implicit cost (cost that is hidden to us). If I spend my $40 on video game, then I lose the opportunity to spend it on other merchandise (say groceries) or earning interest in savings account. If I spend my $40 on other merchandise (and be a pirate), then I lose the opportunity to spend it on video game or earning interest in savings account. If I deposit my $40 into my savings account to earn some interest, then I lose the opportunity to spend it on video game or spend it on other merchandise (say groceries). You see, even if I pirate video game, I still lose something in return. Even if I become a lawful citizens and buy every video game, I still lose something in return. Being a pirate does not mean it will bring down the whole nation's economy. No one is going to hold on to their money. They will use their money on something. So if people pirate video game, they will use the money to buy other things, or to earn interest from it.

Money Circulation -

Let's say I have $40 in my wallet. I can do 3 things with it. I can spend it on a video game. I can spend it on other merchandise. I can also deposit it into my savings account for interest. If I spend my $40 on video game, then my money goes to the video game industry (which by the way is more lean towards oligopoly since there are only few sellers in this market). If I spend it on other merchandise, then my money goes to other field of market (most likely monopolistic competition). If I deposit it into my savings account, my money goes to the bank which then lend it to other people. You can see that no matter what choice I make money circulation is happening. No body is going to hold on to that money should they pirate the game. They are just going to spend it somewhere else.

I would also like to point out that monopoly and oligopoly are the type of market system with slowest velocity in terms of money circulation. This is because they have the lowest efficiency in terms of economic sense. These type of market system will hold back their supplies just to raise the price up. They can do this since their competitors are low in the same market, making them have much more power in terms of price labeling. They will not achieve allocative efficiency by holding their supply up. They are, the most inefficient market system in capitalism.

With monopolistic competition, you have a high number of sellers and high number of buyers. So neither sellers nor buyers have huge power in terms of price labeling. In fact it is competition that labels the price. Monopolistic competition will have higher allocative efficiency compare to others (though not higher than perfect competition). This means that will are more willingly to produce more outputs to satisfy the society. More production = higher velocity in terms of money circulation (and by your definition, drives up the economy).

2. tigris

tigris Sentient Existential Anthropomorphic Sweet Potato

Yes, of course. Support ninty=Better games and consoles=less shovelware=less Imagine™ : Your Mum

3. Ikki

Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    Of course I will.
    Even if it is hacked I will buy the games. This baby has a brilliant future, we have to support Ninty

4. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

United States

5. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    DiscostewSM,

Your opinion focus on the video game industry, where my point is focused on the whole.

Also like I said, you are going to spend your money even if you pirate video game. So in the end money is definitely circulated.

6. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

United States
    True, but is money the "only" thing being circulated? Aren't goods, labor, etc. also forms of money to be circulated? If you spend 8 hours working for a company, you'd expect 8 hours pay, yes? You put into the system 8 hours, and got back 8 hours. A company puts the game into the circulation cycle, so shouldn't they get back what they put in, which is equivalent to the money, time, labor, etc. they spent? What is the pirate putting into the system to equal the amount he's taking out? (Now I've got Full-metal Alchemist and Equivalent Exchange stuck in my head.....I need to watch that anime again)

7. XXLANCEXX

XXLANCEXX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Yeppers [​IMG]

8. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Nintendo sold more games published/made by them on the Wii and DS than ever before and both consoles got probably got more shovelware than any other console. Plus that make crappy games like Wii Music, Wii Play, Wii Party, whatever.

9. ball2012003

ball2012003 Newbie

So I guess those 64 people who voted no will never get to experience the 3ds, how sad.

10. Apex

Apex GBAtemp Fan

ITT: Asking for peoples opinions then criticizing them. How sad.

11. JonthanD

JonthanD GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I would still get the system, but I would probably end up buying less games if I could not at least get get demo's.

I am one of those people who does pirate, but also likes to collect so I need to have originals and boxes and all that jazz so.... I tend to buy the great ones first then pick up the junk ones after the system "dies".

If I was not able to "pirate" it would mean less buy now and more buy used.

12. DiscostewSM

DiscostewSM GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Criticizing the criticizer. How......delightful? All ball2012003 had to do to make it non-criticizing was to not add "how sad". It would have made the statement lean more towards "pointing out the obvious".

13. omatic

omatic GBAtemp Fan

United States
    You totally missed the point of what I said, and I don't know if you really read what was written. I never talked about illegality. Never did I mention the word "legal". I spoke entirely about economics and morality. Legality is determined from those things, but is NOT the same as those things. Legality changes from country to country and region to region.

I don't think anyone is saying it's moral or economical to sell counterfeit software at all. I don't get where that's coming from.

14. alphafour

alphafour Member
    Newcomer

Albania
    people keep saying we shouldn't pirate because it really hurts the developers but actually I can easily turn around and just say it's their own fault for selling games at like £30 or more when alot of them (especially on DS) are shitty gimmicky games with possibly less than 10 hours play value at all.

It's a bit like the chicken and the egg... which came first?

Did pirating get big because games were perceived as too expensive?

Did games get more expensive due to a need to cover the huge losses from piracy?

Would people pay for all of their games if the DS games were permanently sold at £20 rather than £30-£35?

I suppose we couldn't give a definitive answer to any of those questions..

as for myself- I would say that £30 is mental for most DS games as the vasssst majority of DS games are shit!

I got a rom of Pokemon Heart Gold in Japanese but then when it came out in England I actually bought it since I liked it so much.

I got a rom of ????DS?????????2010 and then after a week I bought it for around £50 in total from play-asia (which is the last time I buy anything from there! I wouldn't say whether or not it's good value I just can't afford to shell out £50 again for a DS game.. or any platform game for that matter)

I suppose I only buy games if they are REALLY good!

I am quite new to the whole flashcart thing, around a year ago I didn't even know what an R4 was and I used to buy all of my games, and waste alottt of money on shitty DS games which I traded back in at GAME for an only slightly less shitty game.

So anyway, as someone else suggested- 3DS is the next gen so I guess it will mean next gen prices of possibly £40 for games.

I'm gonna lay off the 3DS for a few months and if the price of games stays around £30.. I might buy one.. if the prices are anymore there is no way Im getting it if it can't be hacked.

Anyway I'll be in Japan from September 2011-September 2012 so hopefully I can pick one up there for a bit cheaper than it would be in UK [​IMG]

15. monkat

monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
    Banned

United States
    ^Above

I only skimmed your post so I could be completely off-topic.

This is exactly why region-locking can be an amazingly beneficial thing, assuming games are localized - independent countries can set their own prices. If a game doesn't sell in, say, Greece, because of a poor economy and high pricing, they can lower the price without a loss in Britain.

16. yellowthunder

yellowthunder Member
    Newcomer

United States
    I'd still buy it, hacked or not.

I'm already loving each and every bit of it I keep seeing. [​IMG] (except autoupdates)

17. jceggbert5

jceggbert5 Check out my hack, New Retro Mario Bros.

United States
    OFCOURSE! I will... It's an awesome system, that's why!

Granted, I may wait a bit longer if it's unhackable (I'm hoping that SCDSTWO's claim is true, that it'll work on the 3DS), but I'm just excited to play it, honestly...

Remember, kids, if there's a will, there's a way!

* Jceggbert5
    goes wait in line for 3DS, despite his above claim...

18. alphafour

alphafour Member
    Newcomer

Albania
    I think the economics of this situation is that the demand for games at such a high price is getting lower since people realise how shit most of the games are..

I suppose the piracy of computer data is difficult to compare to any other type of product. I wonder if it would be similar to say that.. if you walk into a shop.. pick up a newspaper and read the most striking article, and then don't buy it.. would that be stealing in the same vein?

it's difficult to say isn't it [​IMG]

Perhaps you could compare it to a firm inventing some innovative product.. and then a group guys buy it.. disassemble it and work out how to build an exact replica.. and then they start to distribute it to other people who want it but don't want to pay the price that the original firm set. Whether or not the copiers charge is irrelevant... I suppose the firm will still be losing potential sales due to the piracy

here's a thought if Consumer A (CA) pirates GAME because he is not willing to buy at Price X (PX), Is Firm A (FA) actually losing any money? if FA is not willing to drop the price to such that CA wants to buy.. and CA's situation never changes such that he will buy it.. was CA ever a potential customer? If the answer to that is no, could FA really consider CA's piracy as a lost sale? Factor in the concept that the data is intangible and is not physically stolen as a result of piracy.. and we have an interesting picture.

And although it may be "wrong" to pirate a game on which a company worked hard... wouldn't you say it's also "wrong" that a company who makes a shitty pointless and almost featureless game like "face exercises" should make the same profits as SQUARE ENIX which actually makes GOOD games?

19. Zerousen

Zerousen 【=◈︿◈=】

United States
    Most likely, yes. But the PS3 was supposedly unhackable, yet, it was,and the scds2 might work.

20. XXLANCEXX

XXLANCEXX GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    DSi is Suppose to come out with 4.3U and it Cripples and Brickes most Flashcarts like AK2i,SCDSTWO,and others

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - hacked, still,