Hacking Will you still buy a 3DS if it can't be hacked?

Yes or no?

• Yes

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Possibly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
silverbullet1080 said:
The intent to play a game is not the same as the intent to buy a game (new in any case). Developer's distaste for the used game market is an example of this. The effect of buying a game used has the same effect on a developer as pirating it- as the developer doesn't get squat.

Um, a used game *was* a *new* game at some point, which was bought, and where the developer already got the profit from it, but I do see where you are coming from. The difference between used games and piracy is that with just used games, the same number of people have a physical copy from when the game was first bought to however many new owners come into possession of them. With piracy, a game that could have been bought, new or used, never did, yet the number of people who have possession of a game is greater than the number of copies actually sold.

QUOTE(silverbullet1080 @ Oct 3 2010, 05:44 PM) I'm going off on a tangent here, though somehow at least according to Gabe N. piracy doesn't mean shit to Valve because of how little of an impact it has on Steam. Now why is that? DRM? Restrictions? No, it's because buying and playing a game through Steam cheaper (mostly) than buying a game retail, more convenient than buying a hard copy of a game and arguably more convenient and faster than using torrents. Valve gives you incentives to buy a game off of Steam. Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft gives no incentive to buy a game over just pirating it. They haven't made the buying process faster, easier and more convenient than pirating. It's probably why I only own 2 physical copies of DS games and 22 soft copies, while having bought all of my PC games on Steam.

He doesn't care about piracy, but he also talked about "community funding", which means that gamers would be paying for games before they are even made. You can't pirate what hasn't been made, so if and when they go with this model, they'll get their money before the game ever gets released. When it does get released, they won't care what is done with it because they already got their profits from it. The reason he's so confident about this approach is because Steam already has a large community, mainly due to the heavy number of multiplayer games released for it. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft do not have the heavy focus of multiplayer gaming, so they don't have such an exclusive community to work with, which is why they really can't go this route.

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
On topic title... Yes. Yes. And a big YES.

I think the 3DS itself and the lineup of games coming with it is enough reason for me to buy. I think its worth.

Well, being hacked will just be a nice addition to it. But hacked or never be hacked, I'm still getting one

Sabregod

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
DiscostewSM said:
Sabregod said:
Stealing requires the taking of an object away from its owner. When committing piracy; nothing is removed from the original owner

A person plants a seed. With time and care, the seed turns into an apple tree, capable of producing apples every year without the need for maintenance anymore. He plans to sell the apples, so he picks what he can carry, and heads out to the local market to sell them. He sells a few, but later, someone comes along and takes an apple without paying. The seller tells the man to pay for that which he took. The other man says "Why? You have plenty of apples from an apple tree that has no need to be maintained, and each year, you get more apples without any work. If anything, you are ripping us off for selling that which you get for free in the first place."

So, did the man steal, or is his response valid for taking something for free?

Uhh.... When committing piracy: Nothing is actually taken away from the creator of said content, they still have it.
Stealing: Taking the object away from its owner.

Your analogy like your argument is inherently flawed.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
God. I hate it when people don't understand economics.

"Nothing is taken away from the creator of said content, they still have it."

So if a maid comes to your house and cleans, and you don't pay, I guess nothing is taken away from the maid company, right? They still have the maid.

Not a perfect replication by any means (what the company is really selling is time), but the point remains. Software is bizarre in that it is easily replicated. No, we're not taking an actual cartridge, but we are taking the service without paying.

Not gaining money from a product is just as bad as losing the product as a whole (especially if it expires), and if everyone pirates, no one gains money. No money circulating, bad economy.

ShadowNeko003

~Nyah~
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I will buy the 3DS but after the price drop, just for Rockman DASH 3, Kingdom Hearts 3D, and Tales of the Abyss. Three games that I will definitely buy.

klim28

Hunter4Life
Trophies
XP
Country
Wintrale said:
jalaneme said:
or none at all, i don't support game companies who take away our rights sony do it, and now nintendo are taking that route well a big up yours to nintendo, it just shows how messed up this world is.

Yes, it certainly does when someone spouts nonsense like "piracy is our right". We pirate because we're either cheap or poor, not because it's our right. It's Nintendo's right to stop us pirating - it isn't our right to stop them from stopping us from pirating. Nintendo receive practically no benefits whatsoever from pirates, regardless of the nonsense people will spread to try to make it sound like piracy is more beneficial than it is detrimental. Everyone who pirates games is a thief, so stop trying to make us sound like we're Robin bloody Hood. 'Cause we ain't. Stop acting so damn proud of the fact that you're a pirate. There's nothing to be proud of.

I'll post this quote here. I got this from the other thread. I kinda like what Wintrale said here. nuff said

wii_go

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
off course i buy it, so good games coming (two Resident Evil & more f...g crazy games), and for those who see the last news od supercard team, i've got a SCDSTWO so all my GBA, DS and SNES games coming to my red 3DS (we just see that color at all, but i'm agree with this one at the moment...)

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
klim28 said:
Wintrale said:
jalaneme said:
or none at all, i don't support game companies who take away our rights sony do it, and now nintendo are taking that route well a big up yours to nintendo, it just shows how messed up this world is.

Yes, it certainly does when someone spouts nonsense like "piracy is our right". We pirate because we're either cheap or poor, not because it's our right. It's Nintendo's right to stop us pirating - it isn't our right to stop them from stopping us from pirating. Nintendo receive practically no benefits whatsoever from pirates, regardless of the nonsense people will spread to try to make it sound like piracy is more beneficial than it is detrimental. Everyone who pirates games is a thief, so stop trying to make us sound like we're Robin bloody Hood. 'Cause we ain't. Stop acting so damn proud of the fact that you're a pirate. There's nothing to be proud of.

I'll post this quote here. I got this from the other thread. I kinda like what Wintrale said here. nuff said
+1 I don't have the money so i'll just wait for a price drop or for a newer version. Might get when newer colors come out too.

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:

So if a maid comes to your house and cleans, and you don't pay, I guess nothing is taken away from the maid company, right? They still have the maid.

Not a perfect replication by any means (what the company is really selling is time), but the point remains. Software is bizarre in that it is easily replicated. No, we're not taking an actual cartridge, but we are taking the service without paying.

Not gaining money from a product is just as bad as losing the product as a whole (especially if it expires), and if everyone pirates, no one gains money. No money circulating, bad economy.

Not gaining money from a product is NOT just as bad as losing the product as a whole. Saying it's the same is a ridiculous statement. If I have a yard sale, and nobody decides to buy anything, then by your logic, all those who didn't come and pay me to buy my stuff effectively pirated my items by not paying for them. In reality, I still have the potential of making money off of the items in the future. Now, if people with magical duplication machines (MDM's) stopped by and cloned my yard sale items without paying me, I'd STILL HAVE THE ABILITY TO SELL THE ITEMS I HAVE, while those who duplicated the items unfairly profited from my situation. They didn't steal, but they did unfairly (and arguably immorally) come to possess my items. Regardless, I still have the value of those items in my possession.

Your maid analogy doesn't work with this, as cleaning is a SERVICE, while the video game is a PRODUCT. You cannot own the SERVICE that the maid provides, however you can own a copy of a video game. The video game is a tangible object that you can hold and interact with, while the cleaning is a concept that is applied to an object(s). Retailers are charging you money for a copy of the game you're buying, while a maid or cleaning company will be charging you money for the one-time (or per-time) basis of the action of cleaning.

The fact that software can be sold in copies is why we only pay 30-60 dollars (in the USA) for games, as opposed to one person paying the entire development cost, which would be many thousands of times more. I hope nobody is suggesting that we're paying dev companies for the service of copying games. If so, then I'll be happy do the copying on my own, for free.

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
omatic said:
monkat said:

Not gaining money from a product is NOT just as bad as losing the product as a whole. Saying it's the same is a ridiculous statement. If I have a yard sale, and nobody decides to buy anything, then by your logic, all those who didn't come and pay me to buy my stuff effectively pirated my items by not paying for them. In reality, I still have the potential of making money off of the items in the future. Now, if people with magical duplication machines (MDM's) stopped by and cloned my yard sale items without paying me, I'd STILL HAVE THE ABILITY TO SELL THE ITEMS I HAVE, while those who duplicated the items unfairly profited from my situation. They didn't steal, but they did unfairly (and arguably immorally) come to possess my items. Regardless, I still have the value of those items in my possession.

Your maid analogy doesn't work with this, as cleaning is a SERVICE, while the video game is a PRODUCT. You cannot own the SERVICE that the maid provides, however you can own a copy of a video game. The video game is a tangible object that you can hold and interact with, while the cleaning is a concept that is applied to an object(s). Retailers are charging you money for a copy of the game you're buying, while a maid or cleaning company will be charging you money for the one-time (or per-time) basis of the action of cleaning.

The fact that software can be sold in copies is why we only pay 30-60 dollars (in the USA) for games, as opposed to one person paying the entire development cost, which would be many thousands of times more. I hope nobody is suggesting that we're paying dev companies for the service of copying games. If so, then I'll be happy do the copying on my own, for free.
Okay so its like this.
Lets say you are pirating right and then you pirate this game and you are like "Man this game sucks!" and you don't buy it.
Now lets say you can't pirate you buy the game and then you still say that the game sucks but now the company that made that game now gets money! As you can see, pirating can change on how a company estimates on how much copies they will sell. Don't forget, the companies PAY to release their game and if people don't buy they get no profit. You see how that works?

Also to your "cloning" statement. If someone cloned your items without your agreement then that's illegal, especially if they make profit from it. Those items are something you have earned but someone just got it for free. If a customer comes by and buys the "cloned" copy then they surely won't buy yours which leaves you to gaining nothing.
And yes their are people that sell pirated copies of games. Check Ebay.

Edit: Oh and I'm guessing the reason why Nintendo thinks they will be selling millions of units is because they are using the hacking scene as customers as it is the most anticipated item to be hacked right now.

deka01

Trophies
XP
Country
When you buy a game it comes on something does it not?
So that would be the equivalent of the apples in the earlier post sure more will come but in the mean time it still means that the producer/seller is losing business. Oh and if you don't think I'm right thats your right but go see what the law says about it.

KingAsix

ByJustAsix
Trophies
Website
www.byjustasix.com
XP
Country
United States
HELL YEAH!!! Of course I'll buy games for this system...I'll just have to do what I did before I could download games for my DS/PSP....buy like 1 game at a time, play it and if I didn't like it then in seven days I traded it back to the store and if I like it...I keep it but I probably wouldn't get a new for awhile...Hopefully I'll have a job so I can at least get games when I want instead of waiting for price drops and used games.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
gamefreak94 said:
Okay so its like this.
Lets say you are pirating right and then you pirate this game and you are like "Man this game sucks!" and you don't buy it.
Now lets say you can't pirate you buy the game and then you still say that the game sucks but now the company that made that game now gets money! As you can see, pirating can change on how a company estimates on how much copies they will sell. Don't forget, the companies PAY to release their game and if people don't buy they get no profit. You see how that works?

Also to your "cloning" statement. If someone cloned your items without your agreement then that's illegal, especially if they make profit from it. Those items are something you have earned but someone just got it for free. If a customer comes by and buys the "cloned" copy then they surely won't buy yours which leaves you to gaining nothing.
And yes their are people that sell pirated copies of games. Check Ebay.

Edit: Oh and I'm guessing the reason why Nintendo thinks they will be selling millions of units is because they are using the hacking scene as customers as it is the most anticipated item to be hacked right now.

Did a little bit of searching, and found this.
Criminal conversion

mangaTom

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Definitely getting the 3DS (probably not at launch since we get it late here in our country.)But I'll buy it as soon as our local online dealer offers it.
mthrnitesmiley.gif

On side note,stealing is such a broad word that it has many different meanings.Um we should just use copyright infringement since piracy is included in it.And yeah,I may contradict but piracy is still stealing in the form of copyright infringement,it's not just your typical way, form and perception of stealing(we're in the modern days now) since your practically "stealing" the right to publish or reproduce a copy of a product.So let's say you stole a kiss on someone,did they lose their lips/cheeks?Let's say someone copied your assignment,what would you feel?All your effort goes to waste cause some bastard stole and copied your assignment right,reaping all your of your hard work.Reality is hard especially when you deny it.So some some cons get less support from devs cause what's the point of developing and investing money if it will all go to waste.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Both the maid and the apple analogy work. What you're buying isn't the cartridge and the box. You're buying the time, effort, not to mention the money that went into producing the game. Or in this case you're stealing it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-