Will you buy a 2nd Wiiu?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by lafleche, Jul 21, 2017.

1. lafleche
    OP

lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2007
    Netherlands
    As the topic title says...
    As a spare? Now that 5.5.2 removed our entry point for homebrew and now still is the time to find and buy a 5.5.1 or lower.one?

2. fvig2001

fvig2001 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2006
    Probably not. I feel the Wii U online service will be killed within the year or early next year knowing Nintendo.

3. Alex4U

Alex4U The worst person you'll meet.

Jan 6, 2016
    Mexico
    with Snivy, Mystery Zone (Adress 0x00)
    Since Nintedo updated after the console was dead, most consoles have 5.5.0X i guess.
    Still, I would buy one for hacking. i always wanted hack a Wii U and make homebrew.
    But since i'm translating a game, i cannot. lol

4. moops44

moops44 Prince of Darkness

May 15, 2014
    Germany
    Moon
    afaik the production of the wii u is done :/

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/wii-u-production-ends-worldwide/1100-6447419/

go to ur local shop and buy a new wiiu ,setup dns , grab a game with 5.5.1 update , update it with disc thats all
    as long as ninty dont patch haxchi and vc ds games ur fine
    :ph34r:

Last edited by moops44, Jul 21, 2017
  5. lafleche
    OP

lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2007
    Netherlands
    I know the production has stopped... did I say somewhere buying a NEW Wiiu :-)
    It is just that the Wiiu is the last console capable of playing almost the complete ninty catalogue (if you hack and pirate a bit) and if my wiiu breaks down from like a powersurge, nand corruption (which can happen) or whatever, I then have to find a 5.5.1 console.

Being that Job Public just isn't aware that ninty upgraded their consoles last week, chances are that future offerings of wiiu's on online marketplaces will be 5.5.2.
    Over here game stores and cash-converters will check the wiius they receive, erase them complete and in the process upgrade them.

in other words: unless of course 5.5.2 is hacked, finding a 5.5.1 in the future could be either difficult or pricey (if seller knows what he has)

6. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    To autoupdate, the console must not only be powered on/in spotpass standby while having a network connection configured, but also be connected to power... so most WiiUs in the world are safe :3

7. castdreams

castdreams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    Midwest USA
    I had Coldboot Haxchi, so I can still access homebrew and CFW on 5.5.2. No need for me to buy a 2nd one haha.

For those who didn't have Haxchi already set up, I'm sure another entrypoint will be found at some point.

8. Glyptofane

Glyptofane GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    The price would have to be right.

9. lafleche
    OP

lafleche GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2007
    Netherlands
    That was not the point of my question..... *sigh* never mind....

My current wiiu 32Gb is also Haxchi-ed and still on 5.5.1..... personally If I can find a wiiu (could even be a console only or a 8Gb) for the right price I will buy it as a spare.

10. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I already own a second wii u from the 5.3.2 days.

11. mech

mech ♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️♥️

Oct 26, 2014
    Tuvalu
    i have 2 wii u's

12. Dara27

Dara27 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 25, 2017
    Canada
    I'm also debating on this. It's either getting a used Wii U and hoping the firmware is fine or getting emulators such Cetra and Dolphin (with Mayflash sensor bar and Gamecube adaptor) on a Nvidia Shield. But the second option might not have all playable games but will mean less stuffs around and more organised..

13. Graham182

Graham182 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 17, 2015
    Droichead Na Bandon, Cork, Ireland
    Perhaps I've been lucky, but I've never had one console break down on me, from Sega mega drive on up. My original PS2 stopped reading disks but cleaning the lens sorted that, that's the worst issue I've come across. If my Wii u does break, I'll be happy to just move on, I still feel I made the wrong decision even buying one.

14. LordOrwell

LordOrwell Member

Newcomer
    Apr 5, 2017
    United States
    i just checked on ebay, and there are console-only sales going on right now where if they list the firmware at all, it's 5.5.2u. If 5.5.1 is listed in the title, it's twice the cost it was two weeks ago. I'm interested in getting a 2nd console for my bedroom. I have a wii in there now and the system has quit reading discs. It doesn't really matter that much as i only use it for gamecube games off of a thumbstick but there you go.

Last edited by LordOrwell, Jul 30, 2017
  15. themyst

themyst GBAtemp Regular

Mar 5, 2008
    United States
    I've noticed the cost of new systems has skyrocketed as well. I'm glad I got my 5.5.1 system when I did!

16. Captain_N

Captain_N GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2010
    United States
    I will be buying a second wii U. A white one to put in my wii U kiosk.... If i can get a cheap wii U kiosk unit id be great.... The kiosk i have i was not able to get the console. gamestop said nintendo wanted it. The rest of the kiosk i got....