Will you be shopping on Black Friday this year?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Chary, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Halloween has passed, and you know what that means! The next American holiday is here; BLACK FRIDAY!

(Huh? What do you mean Thanksgiving? Everyone knows the day after Halloween becomes the Christmas season! Duh!)

Will you be fighting among friend and foe for that sweet sweet sale, or will you spend the day relaxing, not getting into the shopping fever madness? Or will you sit at your computers midnight on Monday, ready to snipe all the Cyber Monday deals?

netovsk likes this.
  2. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    Neither. I went over to Best Buy today after learning that my Discover card has a "Price Protection" service that allows me to post purchase price match with pretty much any major retailer within 90 days of the purchase. (Or Best Buy themselves. Black Friday sales included.) Purchased a 50" 4K Sharp TV for $424 and once Best Buy's Black Friday sales start Discover will drop the price down to the sale price of $178.

In addition to that I also purchased an Xbox One S off a friend for $150. So my Black Friday wants are pretty much gone. I also sadly have to work OT on Black Friday/Cyber Monday or else I'd probably just be browsing for stuff I didn't know I wanted.

(If any of you call/chat in to Amazon support on those two days then feel free to say hello!)

Last edited by Devin, Nov 14, 2017
    Chary likes this.
  3. rileysrjay

rileysrjay GBAtemp's official vinsclone speedster!

Apr 2, 2016
    United States
    Central City
    I might go to Walmart to people watch, but otherwise no, not shopping (probably will look online too, but nothing I plan on buying). Thanksgiving is essentially black Friday part one nowadays here in the states. Also:
    [​IMG]

Flame likes this.
  4. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    Give my ire hatred rage regards to Amazon Prime Now who now charge 5$/delivery. I bought a TV recently and it came defective and returned it so I've been waiting for Black Friday-Cyber Monday to hope it goes on super sale.

5. Devin

Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

GBAtemp Patron
    Devin is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2009
    United States
    The Nexus
    :teach: Gotta make up for those $10 promos you used and abused somehow. I'm sure we'll have a few TVs on sale. We had a pretty nice one for sale during Prime Week but old out almost instantly. (And a $60 Keurig. Which I've been kicking myself over not buying. Ending up buying the same model for $109 and it came with 80 K Cups.)

(Kidding BTW. Also the $5 charge is a non mandatory tip that is added on by default. If you call us up we can remove it being added.)

Last edited by Devin, Nov 14, 2017
  6. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    I might try to get a switch for the french blackfriday ...
    yeah, looks like France is doing "vendredi noir" since last year >_>
    why do they need to copy America ? well, good for us !

But I'm not sure the consoles will have sales on them.
    maybe games.
    I'll shop online only, amazon or PSN are the only places I visit.

7. Langin

Langin HI! ^O^

Jul 29, 2008
    Netherlands
    The Hague
    The Netherlands is also taking over Black Friday. Luckily we still call it by its English name instead of the Dutch 'zwarte vrijdag' which kind of connotes something very ominious which is about to happen. :P

I'll be checking cheap game deals as of always. Hoping to score some cheap Nintendo Switch games.

Riyaz likes this.
  8. Youkai

Youkai Demon

Jul 1, 2004
    Germany
    Germany , NRW
    In Germany some company bought a license for the "name" so noone is allowed to use "black friday" not even similiar stuff like "dark friday" or "black end of the week day" else they will sue you till all your money belongs to them -.-V

But there will probably still be some nice bargains ... don't really "need" anything but I will just have a look if there is anything that could be usefull

9. Meteor7

Meteor7 Guess where this thumb goes.

pip Contributor
    Jun 9, 2014
    United States
    New Jersey
    I might look for a 144hz monitor for a good price, but other than that, I can't really think of anything I'd want. It's rare that I need any high-ticket items, so Black Friday has never been a big thing for me.

10. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    time to get an 240hz monitor! but here in Italy many companies raise their retail prices few days before Black friday, then make price-drops again, so we don't have much real deals here and many of them suck asses. :(

11. EthanAddict

EthanAddict An investment to nothingness

Nov 12, 2016
    Antarctica
    Some case, PSU and Hard Drive

12. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    At best I might check if Samsung's 250 GB 960 EVO NVMe drops to $80-$90, other than that probably not.

13. Ryccardo

Ryccardo WiiUaboo

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    I've never bought anything on BF to be honest, not for any matter of principle but because the used market (more or less locally) and direct China exporters (on eBay) source me with decent prices year round...

14. eechigoo

eechigoo Gbatemp amphibian

Dec 22, 2016
    Mexico
    tu puta madre ;v
    The closest thing we have to black friday here is el buen fin (the good weekend)

It's a scam. They raise the prices the week before and then lower them slightly, so they can say ''WOW! LOOK AT ALL THESE DISCOUNTS!'' even though the price is more expensive than 3 months earlier.

As for online deals, i might look into them.

15. SuperDan

SuperDan Im Aware ... Im Unaware

Aug 17, 2016
    United States
    Londoner , Living In Louisiana ...
    Only Online ..

slaphappygamer likes this.
  16. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    Nah won't be. Most places over here that do black friday, the deals are shit and have probably been cheaper earlier in the year.

They pull that shit in the UK too. Raise the prices, drop them, then claim it's a "sale" price.

17. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    i'll be getting trampled to death by neckbeards at a game store with Chary :unsure: woo

HaloEliteLegend likes this.
  18. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Somewhere in the south
    They raise the prices a week prior and then put it down on black friday again. And a lot of people fall for it.

Some places have real deals so I will be buying stuff, but fuck, I wish that big stores (Walmart, Americanas, PontoFrio, etc) didn't do this, it's so scummy.

19. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I wish there were more sales on Switch games. Hoping the eShop will have some good holiday deals on solid indie titles. Otherwise, there's not a whole lot I want. Already pre-ordered Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and the special edition Pro controller, which is tbh all I need to tide away December and into the new year. If I was to get something, though, I think I'd pick a nice big battery pack. Had my eye on that 20,000mAh Anker pack earlier. That's plenty to charge both my phone and my Switch when I'm out and about.

20. Chronicar

Chronicar Member

Newcomer
    Nov 13, 2017
    United States
    My wife bought a couch yesterday. What is black friday?